Yves Bissouma

Corleone

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I was with you until this. Mcginn and Cash's value have increased multiple times and were bought from weaker leagues. These are great examples of finding gems.

It sounds like you want us to be searching around non-league level for the next Jamie Vardy for all our signings.

again I never said all of our signings.

My point is some are angry for not signing Bissouma, when if we had any scouting sense we would be picking up this type of player now instead of paying over the odds in 3/4 years. Its just poor business sense {I think we were in the Championship when Brighton signed Bissouma so I dont mean him in particular}

Its actually one of the reasons teams like United and Everton are with messes for squads from a long term lack of forward planning

57 minutes ago, Zatman said:

you can do both though and thats what well organised teams do

for example Real Madrid picked up Valverde and Barcelona got Pedri for around 5 million each and they didnt sign them to sell them

Is that the same Barcelona that paid €35m for Trincao, €35m for Malcolm, €80m for De Jong,  €130m for Dembele? That’s just players under 21, doesn’t include the hundreds of millions they’ve wasted on older players too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I dont think signing a 2nd tier full back for £14m is what I would call a gem

Again all 3 players were also well known when we signed them so again hardly unknowns, McGinn probably the most unknown of the 3 but was a Scotland international chased by Celtic

Not arguing against this in general, but Cash for 14m turned out to be an excellent deal. He’s not 2nd tier in any meaningful respect, rather an elite player in his position.

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Not arguing against this in general, but Cash for 14m turned out to be an excellent deal. He’s not 2nd tier in any meaningful respect, rather an elite player in his position.

He isnt but the division we bought him from was. 

He has been a good signing but we probably overpaid at the time 

25m as reported seems a steal... Really?

How were we quoted double that in January. Obviously who knows if there's any truth in that but if so, seems wild.

Transfer market really is a false economy. 

14 minutes ago, est1874 said:

How were we quoted double that in January. Obviously who knows if there's any truth in that but if so, seems wild.

Tbh prices don’t seem as massive this window.. and other than Nunez and Tchouaméni everyone has been rather cheap (cheaper than expected)

Edited by CarryOnVilla

I agree with some of the comments re scouting - we need to be buying the player that costs £10m-£15m that clubs like Brighton buy and sell for 3 or 4 times as much, not the club buying said player for premium money.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I agree with some of the comments re scouting - we need to be buying the player that costs £10m-£15m that clubs like Brighton buy and sell for 3 or 4 times as much, not the club buying said player for premium money.

But we must get in to Europe now!!! Like now or we die… we can’t wait and we need European level players nooooow or else we die from the embarrassment of not reaching European now

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886hk4td2xmf5ccz4vqwl

But to answer your point, yes we should be doing the moneyball thing, but we won’t, because we don’t have the time to develop players… for some reason

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

again I never said all of our signings.

My point is some are angry for not signing Bissouma, when if we had any scouting sense we would be picking up this type of player now instead of paying over the odds in 3/4 years. Its just poor business sense {I think we were in the Championship when Brighton signed Bissouma so I dont mean him in particular}

Its actually one of the reasons teams like United and Everton are with messes for squads from a long term lack of forward planning

I think the difference is that our focus has shifted over the past two years of recruiting.  We don't seem to be after project players any more, we want players who will improve us immediately and get us into Europe consistently.  Ings, Buendia, Bailey, Coutinho, Digne, Kamara, & Carlos are all players who are of that caliber on paper when they were signed.  

Also, we did sign more risky players like that when our budget was smaller...  McGinn, El Ghazi, Hause, Guilbert, etc...  Fees were small for all these players and while McGinn's value has skyrocketed, we'll still make a profit on the others when we let them go.  

We tried to find gems the season we got promoted as we had no choice but to go down that route. And look how many of them are still with us/succeeding with us. Just Konsa? Arguably Nakamba but he's not going to take us to the next level.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

But we must get in to Europe now!!! Like now or we die… we can’t wait and we need European level players nooooow or else we die from the embarrassment of not reaching European now

But to answer your point, yes we should be doing moneyball thing, but we won’t, because we don’t have the time to develop… for some reason

I think there’s a difference between being clever and being speculative. Some fans seem to be envious of Brighton because they’ve signed a bunch of South Americans or young Europeans that no one has heard of. That’s different to “moneyball” which is using data analysis in a clever way as a main scouting tool to uncover under-appreciated players who pass under the radar.

Brighton do seem like a solidly run club, but as is always the case the grass isn’t always greener and Brighton have had their fair share of poor signings alongside some better ones, as per all clubs. They probably have a long list of flops which none of us can remember because there’d be no reason for a villa fan to remember a crap player from Brighton. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

But to answer your point, yes we should be doing the moneyball thing, but we won’t, because we don’t have the time to develop players… for some reason

Brighton finished top 10 for the first time in 5 seasons this season, but yes let’s try and find gems and we can try and do the same

Edited by IrishVilla10

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Seeing some of the prices being quoted for other players recently, it's a steal in comparison. 

Phillips for example is being quoted for twice that price.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

54 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Brighton finished top 10 for the first time in 5 seasons this season, but yes let’s try and find gems and we can try and do the same

We have finished above them once in the league pyramid in the last 6 seasons and apparently some on here dont actually recognise that season as was behind closed doors

I bet they arent jealous of us

Â