Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

On 28/08/2023 at 22:44, May-Z said:

Part of me wonders if Zaniolo was bought as the the Coutinho replacement. 

Coutinho plays on the left and Zaniolo plays on the right so I think it is unlikely.

1 minute ago, allani said:

Coutinho plays on the left and Zaniolo plays on the right so I think it is unlikely.

Emery has already said he sees Zaniolo as able to play anywhere across the front/either wing just FYI.

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Emery has already said he sees Zaniolo as able to play anywhere across the front/either wing just FYI.

Yes - but he has not been signed to play on the left to replace Coutinho.  Just like McGinn wasn't signed to play on the left of midfield.  They can play there and will play there when required - but Zaniolo is much better on the right just as McGinn is better on the right.

Just now, allani said:

Yes - but he has not been signed to play on the left to replace Coutinho.  Just like McGinn wasn't signed to play on the left of midfield.  They can play there and will play there when required - but Zaniolo is much better on the right just as McGinn is better on the right.

And yet McGinn often drifts to the left. 

I think there is a lack of appreciation of just how fluid our attack is under Emery. 

10 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

And yet McGinn often drifts to the left. 

I think there is a lack of appreciation of just how fluid our attack is under Emery. 

Given the number of posts I make talking about this very matter - that's a strange response (but hey I don't expect everyone to have a detailed memory of my posting history so that is fine).  However, the point still remains that the question above was - was Zaniolo signed to replace Coutinho?  And the answer is still no because they don't play in the same position.  Can they play in the same position?  Yes.  Could Zaniolo play down the left? Yes - but it will distract from his main skills which are better suited to him cutting in from the right onto his left foot.  Even if we sign no other attack players and Coutinho leaves - Zaniolo was not signed as his replacement.  It would be like saying that Pau was signed as Digne's replacement if Digne leaves and we don't sign another left back and so Pau starts there until Moreno comes back.  It's a job that he can do and Emery likes players who can play in multiple positions as it gives him more options and more cover but Pau was not signed as a left back.

Edited by allani

We were linked to Zaniolo even before Diaby links. I don’t think he’s a replacement for anyone, he was one of our forward options. We pushed hard after Buendia injury, but we possibly plan to add one wether him or someone else. After Buendia we had to had him, then see if we can add another. 

Just now, gwi1890 said:

Any update on this transfer?

I hope it ends in success and we can cut some of the loss, some nice memories, one of the things is that I wanted him during Lambert days, I think 2012-13, we were linked to get him from Inter. Then waited 9-10 years for him to come. I was one of the few that wasn’t really expecting anything from this signing (probably the fear of his wages and him being a burden), didn’t like what Gerrard said about getting only experienced players, but the only part I liked is that we wanted him while ago and didn’t happen. 
Anyway it’s been a roller coaster, ended up perfectly so far, and the rest is history.

Up The Villa.

1 hour ago, allani said:

To be fair, since Emery has been here, Coutinho has barely 'played' anywhere. 

My thought was more of a squad place replacement rather than a position. 

I think Coutinho was earmarked to be moved on...and that attacking spot was used for Zaniolo. (Maybe)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, May-Z said:

To be fair, since Emery has been here, Coutinho has barely 'played' anywhere. 

My thought was more of a squad place replacement rather than a position. 

I think Coutinho was earmarked to be moved on...and that attacking spot was used for Zaniolo. (Maybe)

Not a moan about it really.

He spent most of the off season showing us videos of himself and his relentless fitness regimes that he was going through showing everyone he was ready for action, he was also given a fair crack in pre-season too.

Then, He plays 24 mins of competitive PL football before he's out injured yet again. Enough was enough, Emery called time and rightfully so.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Arrived in Seville on our road trip an hour ago. Driven up from Cadiz and have just passed the Real Betis stadium. 

If this isn't a sign that this transfer is a nailed on cert, nothing is.

Don Simon, aka, ITK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Arrived in Seville on our road trip an hour ago. Driven up from Cadiz and have just passed the Real Betis stadium. 

If this isn't a sign that this transfer is a nailed on cert, nothing is.

Don Simon, aka, ITK.

Did you remember to pack Coutinho before dropping him off?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

The #RealBetis will do everything possible to sign Phillippe Coutinho, from Aston Villa, in this final stretch of the market 👇

Except pay the money 🙄

Off to Qatar, Al-Duhail, permanently I hope…

And we can finally move on from players who can’t make enough of a contribution or provide any consistency for us…

-

No more loans! 😡

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Except pay the money 🙄

Off to Qatar, Al-Duhail, permanently I hope…

And we can finally move on from players who can’t make enough of a contribution or provide any consistency for us…

It would be best for all parties if it were Qatar, Abu Dhabi etc. 

But to be fair, he shouldn't have been signed permanently in the first place - especially on the contract he was given! It was just another vanity project that went tits up though - like almost everything else they touched.

Thankfully though, the photo-taking, bag-carrying, Man from Del Monte is no longer with us.   😎

• Like 1

Â