Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

and there's nothing to indicate this isn't the case. when he's been fit, he's played, and played well

But those appearances have became few and far between since Emery's arrival.

If I had to back either scenario with £5 I would be backing that Emery would rather have him sold/loaned out.

Just my opinion on the matter.

• Like 1

He is not a first choice starter, over 30, injury prone, and on a huge wage signed by the previous manager. I would be amazed if he is part of Emery's long-term thinking. He is just managing his expectations and trying to keep him motivated. I don't think he is a bad apple but an expensive one.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

But those appearances have became few and far between since Emery's arrival.

If I had to back either scenario with £5 I would be backing that Emery would rather have him sold/loaned out.

Just my opinion on the matter.

I'd need to check but pretty sure he's featured for emery whenever he's been fully fit. Arsenal at home springs to mind where he started, played well and scored

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

Oh, you're right...4 years....we were even more stupid than I thought.

Go back and check this thread when his signing was announced...no one thought we were being stupid back then?

• Like 1

Just now, tomav84 said:

Go back and check this thread when his signing was announced...no one thought we were being stupid back then?

I thought we were. I was against this signing from the very beginning. I'm sure I wasn't alone, maybe people didn't vocalized it here, but I couldn't be the only one thinking that this is a terrible idea.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Well he was coming in on a short term loan at the time.

When it came to Summer there was a little less certainty and nobody was saying give him a 4 year contract at 30yo. 

That we included a 50% sell on clause in the same deal. It basically means he can't be sold just loaned.

I think he has plenty to still offer, my issue is he can't stay fit and the cost he takes up in our FFP is disproportionate to the output we're getting on the pitch.

If we can get loan deals covering 65%+ of his annual cost to use then I say loan him out. Anything lower than that lets keep him around and use him.

It's a tricky one because of his fitness problems. For me that's the main issue with Coutinho 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I'd need to check but pretty sure he's featured for emery whenever he's been fully fit. Arsenal at home springs to mind where he started, played well and scored

He's not been fully fit all that often though and mainly injured.

In Emery's 25 games in charge, he has been out injured for 16 of those and not in the squad.

The rest of those remaining 9 games he featured in 7 them coming off the bench towards the end of most of those games.

In his 8th of those 9 games, as you say, he started against Arsenal and lasted an hour before being taken off and remained injured for the remainder of the season.

The other one time he was in the squad he was on the bench as an unused sub against Wolves before being out injured again for the remaining 3 games of the season.

As I say, I'm sure Emery would rather see someone in the squad who is on less wages, isn't finished at this level and can contribute much more than Courtinho has done.

For me he should be shipped out as soon as possible.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I did and a few others did

54 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

I thought we were. I was against this signing from the very beginning. I'm sure I wasn't alone, maybe people didn't vocalized it here, but I couldn't be the only one thinking that this is a terrible idea.

from page 276 ish - pretty unanimous in support for the deal

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I did and a few others did

Indeed you did and I remember disagreeing with you , I hold my hands up and admit you were correct. If anything Gerrard’s tenure has taught us that sometimes we need to take the Villa sunglasses off and look at things from a balanced perspective, I think sometimes we are all guilty of blindly supporting decisions due to our desire for circumstances to work out. The reality was Gerrard and his decisions/methods were never going to work out but thankfully in the long run  we as fans and club/owners/directors included have learned something from that experience and it finally looks like we are in a better place.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He's not been fully fit all that often though and mainly injured.

In Emery's 25 games in charge, he has been out injured for 16 of those and not in the squad.

The rest of those remaining 9 games he featured in 7 them coming off the bench towards the end of most of those games.

In his 8th of those 9 games, as you say, he started against Arsenal and lasted an hour before being taken off and remained injured for the remainder of the season.

The other one time he was in the squad he was on the bench as an unused sub against Wolves before being out injured again for the remaining 3 games of the season.

As I say, I'm sure Emery would rather see someone in the squad who is on less wages, isn't finished at this level and can contribute much more than Courtinho has done.

For me he should be shipped out as soon as possible.

i think we've got more important things to do personally...we still need to get the likes of nakamba, sanson, bertie, wesley, olsen out.

i can see coutinho in our squad next season (unless a saudi club come in for him). i don't see us sending him to some turkish side who barely pay 10% of his wages

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think we've got more important things to do personally...we still need to get the likes of nakamba, sanson, bertie, wesley, olsen out.

i can see coutinho in our squad next season (unless a saudi club come in for him). i don't see us sending him to some turkish side who barely pay 10% of his wages

That's fair enough and agree with those fringe players also being offloaded. Sticking with the subject of Coutinho for now though, he is a amongst those and a high priority to be shipped out.

We will have difficulty doing so, I agree. The idiot that sanctioned and signed him permanently on ridiculous wages for the duration they did needs their arses booted - (thankfully that's happened and been taken care of)

Now we just have to hope someone is just as daft to take Coutinho off our hands like we did we Barcelona.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Coutinho and Digne are the kind of players that will be appealing to Saudi teams regardless of whether Gerrard is there or not. But truth be told I'm not sure if Coutinho is the kind of character that would go over there, I don't think he's completely motivated by money as took a big pay cut to join us, and despite things not going as well as he would have liked actually seems quite happy here, I notice his wife Ainê was on holiday with some of our women players recently too, so seems even she as a non player is well settled into Villa fabric and down with the team.

If he was to leave I feel like maybe more likely to another club in Europe or maybe US.

If we can sell him and that makes room for one of Emery's targets then that will be good, but at the same would also be nice to see him turn things around and come good for us, seems a good character, doesn't come across as though he thinks he's too good for us, or better than the rest, and looks like he actually cares a lot, so I feel like it would be a shame for him to leave without it having worked out on the pitch.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tomav84 said:

I was, stupid signing at the time. Gerrard and Purslow for letting him do it. 4 years, inept. 

• Like 3

Â