Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

€15-20m is great - if true, and it happens

Reports that we weren't prepared to pay £33m - and of course the mass meltdown - might actually be that we felt we could negotiate a more favourable price. That's good business.
There were reports that Barca needed the deal done quickly (can't remember if it was to buy another player, or to comply with Spanish league restrictions) but if we've used that to our advantage, that's great. 

Edited by Pez1974

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/videos/padel/20220504/1001798613/punto-siglo-nunca-has-visto-asi-mundo-padel.html

gotta love google translate

FC Barcelona is about to transfer Philippe Coutinho (29) to Aston Villa, a club where the Brazilian is on loan until the end of the season. This has been known by MD according to sources in the Barça dressing room, where this information has already arrived. The English entity had a non-mandatory purchase option of 40 million. Finally, Barça are about to transfer Coutinho to Villa for an amount of between 15-20 million. This operation is a relief for FC Barcelona, given that one of the highest chips of the team is removed and that it was also committed for next season. At least, the club gets rid of Coutinho's salary and makes a profit for him.

Am i right in thinking that the Spanish League base financial fair play on salaries and not transfer fees ?  If so it makes sense . They bought Ferran Torres for 50 mill but could not register him until Coutinhos wages were off the books in Jan. 

With another 14 months of salary to pay him thats around £15 to £20 mill they can save to go towards new players salaries. 

• Like 1

Looks like Phil loves Sutton Coldfield. He isnt the typical footballer who goes where the money and the glory is from the looks of it. He needs to be loved and to be settled. 

I guess some of that fee saved will go towards a signing on fee so they can keep the salary under control and not smash the ceiling. 

I guess that when u have earned around £40 mill after tax in the last 4 years you do not need to be a mercenary. 

• Like 1

I assume what we aren't seeing is Barcelona need to make a settlement with Coutinho for the final year of his contract. It'll basically be why we've got a lower fee. £5m or so probably going to Coutinho from us as a sign on bonus kinda balances it all. He can stay on the 150k we're paying him. Great business

• Like 2

Did some quick sums and I think if Villa signed him for £17m (€20m) instead of £33m, that £16m saved would work out as £100,000 extra a week over a three year contract. 

I forget what contribution we’re currently making but maybe it’s whatever that is plus that hundred grand? Maybe doesn’t blow the wage structure ridiculously and might be roughly in line with what we would have offered to Grealish to entice him to stay?

Absolute steal. Cannot argue that transfer at all.

It's up to Gerrard to manage the squad appropriately and ensure he gets playing time for the best players. (I.e doesn't ruin Buendia because of Coutinho)

Can't fault Lange and Purslow on securing phenomenal value for the club for a top target and world class talent if this price is correct.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Â