Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

On 08/01/2022 at 15:57, Greenfly said:

After we were linked I started watching his Barca and Bayern highlights to get a better idea of what sort of player we're getting, and even though he's no longer at the level he was at for you, he's still far better than what we currently have. Even if he takes a bit of time to get back into the groove, he will be great for us and I have little doubt about that.

Also, if you'd had to witness the level of baffling insanity we've had to put up with over the last few years, you'd be a little on the pessimistic side too. We've been burned before. We had similar conversations to these about Barkley back when he signed, and he ended up being a lazy player who clearly didn't care.

As long as Coutinho isn't like that, which by the looks of things it seems like he's the exact opposite, the Villa faithful will quickly grow to love him.

I think Barkley a different animal. Barkley had all the ability in the world but defo left Everton too early an by all accounts is out round town too much an doesn’t have the motivation he should have. 

Whether Grealish has tarnished this that or the other (personally not fussed), the point is he will be comparedwith grealish simply interms of output. Grealish was one of the leading playrs in Europe for chances created and Buendia was signed to try and do domething similar. It hasn't worked so far for him but with the reputation Coutinho comes with he will not be given much time before expectations of what he has shown previously, are demanded. It will then be oft mentioned and compared in relation to Grealish's stats for us, not just by Villa fans but by the media suddenly star struck with Villa because of Gerrard. They will be waiting to see what Coutinho cvould do, if it goes well they will be falling over themselves to point to Gerrard as the reason, but he has been brought in to do what Grealish did and will be judged accordingly.

Interestingly, this could also help Buendia. He looks like he's playing with the pressure to produce being too much for him and he is also always compared to Greaslish in terms of output. With the spotlight elsewhere he may now be able to settle into his game a lot easier.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Technically I'm not sure he's a Villa player yet in terms of his registration - probably this afternoon?

I'm fed up seeing pundits and newspaper people and journalists who don't seem to have watched us play create this narrative that there's this battle between Buendia and Coutinho for a spot on the left hand side in our team - I mean firstly, we don't play with wide midfielders and secondly Buendia has been on the right hand side of the two in our 4-3-2-1 with Watkins on his left in games this season - it seems that those in the media can't be arsed to watch the team so have decided we either play with two wingers or with two forwards - neither of which is true.

Lazy half arsed journalism.

just shows the trash tier level of the media!

Reporting levels these days are like some sort of fan fic level of competence.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2022 at 22:10, StewieGriffin said:

I was about to post something fairly similar...

It says a lot about him when he could easily have stayed at Barcelona and earn whatever ridiculous wage they pay him to be on the fringes of the team. Not only has he said "no, I want to play" (and we could all name plenty of players who would have happily sat on the wages and not play), he appears to have given up a significant chunk of his wages in order to play for a club which, let's be realistic, most players of his stature would see as beneath them. Would you give up 40% of your wages to go and work at a smaller company because your current one cant really afford your wage? Me neither.

But more than that, what sort of madman sits in a recruitment meeting at a team in 13th place with no notable recent history to speak of, and genuinely suggets "what about Coutinho?" without being worried he'd be laughed at? Im assuming its Gerrard who's suggested and driven it, in which case you have to admire the balls of the man

I have always viewed the cynicacism of players JUST wanting money.....There are so many examples like this, where the player just wants to get that magical form back.

In my earlier life I was close to a top level player.....and I can assure folk, they just want to play well and win the hearts of the crowd....sure the money comes in to it, but in the main, its the glory.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I have always viewed the cynicacism of players JUST wanting money.....There are so many examples like this, where the player just wants to get that magical form back.

In my earlier life I was close to a top level player.....and I can assure folk, they just want to play well and win the hearts of the crowd....sure the money comes in to it, but in the main, its the glory.

And many examples the other way ... Bale, can't remember the name of the Chelski defender a few years back and we've had a few e.g. McCormack/the infamous bomb squad.

However, I don't think you can blame these players - the club's sign them on those contracts, they want the protection of the contract when things work and conversely have the downside when they don't.  If we didn't have this the big club's would be free to go around offering stupid contracts to every signing with no risks attached so it is a useful balance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, peterw said:

Whether Grealish has tarnished this that or the other (personally not fussed), the point is he will be comparedwith grealish simply interms of output. Grealish was one of the leading playrs in Europe for chances created and Buendia was signed to try and do domething similar. It hasn't worked so far for him but with the reputation Coutinho comes with he will not be given much time before expectations of what he has shown previously, are demanded. It will then be oft mentioned and compared in relation to Grealish's stats for us, not just by Villa fans but by the media suddenly star struck with Villa because of Gerrard. They will be waiting to see what Coutinho cvould do, if it goes well they will be falling over themselves to point to Gerrard as the reason, but he has been brought in to do what Grealish did and will be judged accordingly.

Interestingly, this could also help Buendia. He looks like he's playing with the pressure to produce being too much for him and he is also always compared to Greaslish in terms of output. With the spotlight elsewhere he may now be able to settle into his game a lot easier.

it will be hard to counter that though, won't it.

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Apparently he has a Portuguese passport so don’t think he needs one. Although not sure on rules anymore since Brexit.

He will due to Brexit. He automatically qualifies under the FA/Govt scheme so it's not in question

Graham Hunter reckons Coutinho's gross was in the region of €12m at Barca. So basically £10m or as near as damn £192k p/w. So if we're paying less than 50% as rumoured then we've got him at less than 100k a week. Ridiculous value in the context of the profile of the signing.

• Like 3

On 07/01/2022 at 18:27, KMitch said:

Thanks, Captain Obvious...  In other news, we're happy to report that water is wet, the Pope is Catholic, and bears shit in the woods...

So we need to know what the junior members of the squad think. 🤔

18 hours ago, Pablo_2531 said:

I think Barkley a different animal. Barkley had all the ability in the world but defo left Everton too early an by all accounts is out round town too much an doesn’t have the motivation he should have. 

And it was clearly done with appeasing Grealish. Barkley scored some crucial goals but his application towards the end lacked greatly. 

Â