Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Chelsea

limpid

Match Polls  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/12/21 at 17:30

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Also some seem to forget we’re playing the champions of Europe and they bought a 100m player on at half time to change the game. 

Perspective gets lost whenever we lose a game. 

More to do with the manner of the loss imo.

Yes Chelsea are good but that second half from a Villa perspective was very poor.

I think we have a huge balance problem going forward and its why we arent creating much from play. Since Gerrard came in all of our goals except the Norwich 2nd goal have been individual brilliance, set pieces or own goals

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think we have a huge balance problem going forward and its why we arent creating much from play. Since Gerrard came in all of our goals except the Norwich 2nd goal have been individual brilliance, set pieces or own goals

I agree.

We don't have enough players in the box frequently.

The weight of work being put on the full backs and wide centre mids is nearly unachievable, but I don't think that's going to change. They're just going to need to get fitter.

I think we'll improve as a unit as the 10s get into the groove more though. Our only losses have been to the top three which is good.

58 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

More to do with the manner of the loss imo.

Yes Chelsea are good but that second half from a Villa perspective was very poor.

Chelsea were also only in so so form.  We barely laid a glove on them. 1st shot on target 79 minutes.

It was a bad day at the office. Stevie G will know that 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hippo said:

I think they were motivated. They ran around like mad things for 25 minutes - obviously they couldn't keep that up for 90 minutes. 

Whether we need a more astute approach to games - and whether we will get one remains to be seen.

When your fully focused errors are far less likely to occur. The mentality of some of these players is not what it should be. You say they ran around like they were possessed. Maybe they need to be more measured in their approach and start to realise, the game is for 90 minutes. One half of competent football just doesn't cut it at that level. As I said previously, Chelsea were on cruise control, or maybe, we just made it seem like they were. What is it with Villa and clumsy defending ? We gave it away, yet again. Those errors last night were an absolute embarrassment, and there were no extenuating circumstances. It's becoming cringeworthy, it really is.

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

When your fully focused errors are far less likely to occur. The mentality of some of these players is not what it should be. You say they ran around like they were possessed. Maybe they need to be more measured in their approach and start to realise, the game is for 90 minutes. One half of competent football just doesn't cut it at that level. As I said previously, Chelsea were on cruise control, or maybe, we just made it seem like they were. What is it with Villa and clumsy defending ? We gave it away, yet again. Those errors last night were an absolute embarrassment, and there were no extenuating circumstances. It's becoming cringeworthy, it really is.

I'm sure we do need a more measured approach. The question was whether or not the players were motivated.

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

There were no extenuating circumstances.

Apart from there being a fair few that will have hardly trained last week due to Covid and the manager not being there, who knows how much input he had. 

Also, the manager has been here 5 minutes, he doesn’t have a magic wand unfortunately.

Let's not pretend Chelsea were in great form, they picked up draws against Wolves and Everton and narrow wins in their other games, Leeds and Watford, they lost against West Ham. 

It was our failures that ultimately cost us in this game and we wasn't weakened that much by injuries. We are a work in progress and on this showing are lower mid table. 

• Like 2

Agree with most, but don't really agree we were much better in the first half. You can pass it around like Man City and be allowed to by the opposing team. But if your not scoring goals, it's all a waste of energy.

Not sure if Gerrard is concentrating more on getting the defence solid, but our attack, as in being creative and scoring goals lately, is atrocious.

First half I thought we had a number of really good forward passes that spit their team and room for mainly Ramsey or Luiz to carry the ball forward leading to our attacking players getting into good positions. That they then went on to squander by making poor decisions.

Second half they adjusted and gave us less time on the ball.  Worked a treat, for them.

On 27/12/2021 at 11:05, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was a very strange game though.

I thought in the first half we played some brilliant and confident football.

We didn't look overawed or fearful at all, even had Chelsea on the ropes at one point, looking like they should seriously worry about us 

I think the second half and the manner of it has made people forget we were actually playing very well.

Didn’t get to see the game unfortunately, but that pattern smacks of tiredness. Did we come out of the blocks too quick?

17 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Didn’t get to see the game unfortunately, but that pattern smacks of tiredness. Did we come out of the blocks too quick?

Yes - but that's over simplfying it. The defence in general looks better. But other than that we seem to have 2 options run and hassle the opposition into errors - or rely on some individual brilliance.

That will beat enough teams to keep us mid table ish. Beyond that really not sure - even with new faces. We need more nous imo.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jim said:

Apart from there being a fair few that will have hardly trained last week due to Covid and the manager not being there, who knows how much input he had. 

Also, the manager has been here 5 minutes, he doesn’t have a magic wand unfortunately.

I'm referring to the constant errors being made by certain individuals. 

The pretext of covid just doesn't work for me. 

5 hours ago, hippo said:

I'm sure we do need a more measured approach. The question was whether or not the players were motivated.

Focused or motivated. Are they not similar ? 

Obviously not motivated/focused enough to cut out repeated, horrendous mistakes. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

Â