Weekends Football 17/19 December

andykeenan

Wonderful game of football. Kind of reminds me of the old days of end to end football. Lovely and open. The crowd excited . 

Then you look at the game earlier . Where Man City are going through their paces smothering the opponents and zero atmosphere even at st James Park. 

Pep is anti football imo. Because football to me is about end to end attacking and that tenacity and brilliant atmosphere. 

The football eqhivalent of Floyd Mayweather. Hugely talented but just so fooking boring.

I hope our owners watched Spurs Liverpool so they know exactly how much is needed to challenge for Europe. Its going to be very very difficult 

47 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't think that's a red, personally.  Robertson goes in very firmly but the defender deliberately steps across where he's going to kick.  The contact is shin on shin.  I think he's a bit unlucky.

Exactly. No studs involved. A strong challenge but 20 years ago it wouldnt have got a yellow . Tackles like that in Sunday league all the time. The games gone......

34 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Wonderful game of football. Kind of reminds me of the old days of end to end football. Lovely and open. The crowd excited . 

Then you look at the game earlier . Where Man City are going through their paces smothering the opponents and zero atmosphere even at st James Park. 

Pep is anti football imo. Because football to me is about end to end attacking and that tenacity and brilliant atmosphere. 

The football eqhivalent of Floyd Mayweather. Hugely talented but just so fooking boring.

I hope our owners watched Spurs Liverpool so they know exactly how much is needed to challenge for Europe. Its going to be very very difficult 

Man.City can be exciting to watch, they really destroyed Liverpool at Anfield but somehow didn't win and that was probably game of the season up to this one.

I do get what you are saying. Liverpool are best team to watch in league but Man. City are ruthless and pretty cold and clinical in soaking up pressure in see saw games so that will likely give them the edge end of the season as Liverpool will drop a few more points in these see saw games.

5 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Kane is a disgrace

he regularly makes dangerous tackles, the tactic of backing into defenders to fall on the neck is disgusting

Guy is an absolute piece of shit, a shit Kevin Muscat

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

he regularly makes dangerous tackles, the tactic of backing into defenders to fall on the neck is disgusting

Guy is an absolute piece of shit, a shit Kevin Muscat

Kevin Muscat, eh? Delightful fellow. Really nasty piece of work. Settled out of court for a tackle on an opposing player during his career, the tackle was that bad it was considered assault.

He is a sly dog too:

Point being: Kane is bad. But he's an angel compared to Muscat.

Personally thought the Kane tackle was an orange card, down to referee interpretation which way it was going to go.

Yes it's high and he catches him with his studs, but he's sliding in on the ground and going for the (bouncing) ball with one foot. It also helps that Robertson is in the air and I don't think gets hurt too badly.

I'd have been okay with both players getting a yellow.

But in terms of refereeing consistency, they both need reviewing pitchside. (Problem is of course, as soon as ref is asked to review, he *always* changes his mind.)

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Personally thought the Kane tackle was an orange card, down to referee interpretation which way it was going to go.

Yes it's high and he catches him with his studs, but he's sliding in on the ground and going for the (bouncing) ball with one foot. It also helps that Robertson is in the air and I don't think gets hurt too badly.

I'd have been okay with both players getting a yellow.

But in terms of refereeing consistency, they both need reviewing pitchside. (Problem is of course, as soon as ref is asked to review, he *always* changes his mind.)

I think the problem is Kane is a dirty nasty player, he has definitely gone to injure Robertson and has form on this. As England captain he gets away with that

If Watkins, Wilson or Pukki make a similar tackle its a straight red

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think the problem is Kane is a dirty nasty player, he has definitely gone to injure Robertson and has form on this. As England captain he gets away with that

If Watkins, Wilson or Pukki make a similar tackle its a straight red

I agree he gets preferential treatment. Not convinced he was trying to put one on Robertson, though - the ball bounced, which is often what causes nasty looking tackles. As I said, red or yellow would be fine with me, it was borderline.

The real issue is that one tackle got reviewed and the other didn’t. I personally thought Kane tackle was worse than Robertson tackle.

Also don’t think slow mo or freeze frames are a good way of assessing tackles.

Reality is you get caught with studs and you get caught high in a game, and it’s not always dangerous play meriting a red - especially under the new guidelines, where I think they want things more like they were in the late 90s / early 2000s.

People describing this one as a “leg breaker” are talking nonsense imo. Not enough force, foot wasn’t planted, it’s on the shin pad.

Â