Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Quite literally the worst start (over 9 games) of any of our years since promotion.

Chelsea up next, then Fulham, either way, its likely it will be the worst start to a season since promotion after 11 games also, either that, or basically in the same ball park as our previous worst starts.

You wouldnt have thought we have already played most of the teams around us, it wasnt even that hard a start on paper.

What a joke.

image.png.3574d3aeccb0070d7712356fd6b3e970.png

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Interesting that this station is mainly for Liverpool and United really but they have had a number of articles now about Gerrard and had Bardell on a few times. Apparently Ger Gilroy host is a Villa fan and is another contributor on the channel

Pity no UK station really has that character except the odd pundit

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

You genuinely think there's nothing he could do to beat a Leeds team with 10 men and the worst team in the league?

I'm not particularly bothered if Gerrard stays or goes tbh, i get fed up of the constant changing every 12 months, but i don't blame Gerrard for Watkins 2 one on ones against Leeds, No

Ings wouldn't have been in that position because of his lack of pace, Archers ability at this level is unknown, Bailey blows hot and cold. That is our options. I find it hard to believe that Gerrard wasn't expecting at least 1 striker in the summer. After he gets them in, thats when i will judge him

21 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Dean Smith got FAR more out of far less.

Gerrard has an objectively better squad and we play worse, and score less.

Why is that not on the coaching?

Check out some of the line ups even at the end of our 55 point season when Grealish was injured, the run of form that lead to 'Smith can't do it without Jack'

Everton at home our attackers were Barkley, Traore, El Ghazi and Davis. We had Elmo starting games at RB, our back ups on the bench included Neil Taylor, Engels and Wesley. There's two players there who retired that summer, and players like Barkley and Wesley who were pretty much done at any reasonable level.

Its also funny how other managers seem to get more out of their teams - e.g. before this season Almiron had a grand total of 9 premier league goals in 110 games; he's got 4 in 9 so far this year. Look at Brighton; Trossard's best goalscoring season was last year with 8 (so barely better than Traore), Welbeck has never hit double figures. Yet because of how well they are coached as a team, they can still get results.

Every team we would think of as rivals for that challenging top half and europe have weaknesses in their XIs and in their squad, yet their managers don't get the excuses made for them Gerrard is getting.

Its also worth pointing out that if Gerrard wanted to completely change the midfield this summer he could have - he was allowed to spend 25mil on a left back when we already had a serviceable one, he was allowed to bring in Coutinho on 17mil and mega high wages when we were already full of attacking players. 30mil on Carlos when we already had 4 centre backs on the books. If he went to Purslow saying 'i want to spend 30mil on a new midfielder', there's no way he was getting turned down. McGinn and Ramsey make up 2/3 of our midfield every game because that is what he wants, even though everyone else can see it simply doesn't work.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

After he gets them in, thats when i will judge him

So the entire season is a free hit for him, because he didn't get a top striker in the summer?

In terms of strike force, we have better options than half of the league. Both in terms of proven ability and potential.

That neither Watkins and Ings can score is on the manager, considering they both scored goals previously, with worse players supplying them.

It's really that simple.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Tbf if we're only like 1pt higher than DS at this point last year that's hardly impressive improvement either. Especially considering our fixtures so far this year.

Time for a change regardless of next two games' results imo.

Actually, I think we were 1 point higher this time last year...and we were 3 games into a 5 game losing streak!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

I'm not particularly bothered if Gerrard stays or goes tbh, i get fed up of the constant changing every 12 months, but i don't blame Gerrard for Watkins 2 one on ones against Leeds, No

Ings wouldn't have been in that position because of his lack of pace, Archers ability at this level is unknown, Bailey blows hot and cold. That is our options. I find it hard to believe that Gerrard wasn't expecting at least 1 striker in the summer. After he gets them in, thats when i will judge him

Come on mate. You’re not bothered if Gerrard stays or goes? We also don’t change manager every 12 months. 
Gerrards had a January window, summer window, full pre season, 35+ games in charge and you’ll judge him when he gets a striker? I wouldn’t give him another penny 

On 30/08/2022 at 11:45, StefanAVFC said:

As for this 'not being backed' complete horseshit, who do you think Gerrard thinks we need?

He's sold our wingers, or flat out doesn't play them so that's off the table. Despite that he WAS backed with Sarr, but HE backed out.

Strikers? Watkins plays/recently played for England. Ings is/was one of the best out and out strikers in recent PL history. Archer is one of the most promising young strikers in England atm and he doesn't play, even in the cup.

Right back - he loves Cash.

Left back - he bought Digne. Been backed with an international quality backup.

Centre back - he was backed with Carlos, and bought in Chambers. Bombed out Mings for some bizarre reason. Loves Konsa.

Goalkeeper - One of the best GK's in the league.

CM - HE CHOSE to make McGinn our captain and play him every game. HE CHOSE to bomb out Sanson who was one of Marseille's best players (when they were a club playing at a higher level than we were). HE CHOOSES to not play Luiz and plays Ramsey. He also got Kamara who looks incredible.

Attacking midfield - He bought in Coutinho, also has Buendia who is arguably our best player.

How wasn't he backed? Who else should we have signed based on Gerrard's OWN decisions on the pitch? Centre mid? He plays McGinn every time. He doesn't play Sanson.

Just a complete load of bollocks cop out.

We were having identical conversations back in August FFS. Since then we've scored another 4/5 goals?

Simple question, have we improved since Gerrard took over? Since the start of the season?

14 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

He's had 2 transfer windows and massively increased our wage bill. 

And you won't judge him till he gets a striker? I find that odd. 

Seems very generous for a manager you're not bothered if they go or stay.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Now somebody has just told me that you can'yt judge Emery at Arse on his signings because Edu made them, so how can you blame Gerrard for not signing players.

The implications were that he wanted to sign Bissouma, never going to happen unfortunately, and Sarr, who didn't sign for whatever reason. They both would have dramatically improved the team.

Carry on rating Watkins, and Ings, thats fine, thats your opinion, i don't . We are allowed to have different views

Well, I suppose Emery has a body of work behind him like never losing a semi final of a competition up until last season’s CL where he brought Villareal (a team who shouldn’t be there) to the semi final. That was also in addition to impressive spells in charge of a number of clubs prior to that.

Gerrard has well, none of that. A league win in Scotland and his time here. I know who I’d rather here. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

I think losing to Chelsea is inevitable and he'll be sacked then.

At that point his mates in the press can't defend him or accuse us of acting too quickly.  He'll have less points from 10 games as Smith did at the point he was sacked.. We can reiterate the lack of progress we made after Smith was sacked.  There can be no arguments or accusations it makes no sense to get rid. 

Hopefully we're talking to Poch right now. 

I hope that you're right but I think Purslow will dig his heels in with SG and try and keep him at least until the WC break. Smith was easy to sack even though I'm of the view he didn't really deserve it. I think SG's stature will mean he gets more time than he deserves.

16 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Every manager wants more, of course, but you do have to try and work with what you have. Watkins, Ings and Archer might not be the best of forward choices but, let's be honest, we could have Haaland playing up front for us and it would make little difference. Gerrard has come out today and basically admitted he doesn't train us as an attacking unit, he waits for players to create 'magic'. That's not how you do it, you train and coach your players so that they know each others games inside out and you play percentages to give yourself the best chance of scoring. Gerrard was an old school player and he is an old school manager, he is the second coming of Steve Bruce.

• Like 1

Just now, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

PC at £17m is an absolute steal

Carlos, significantly improves the back 4, as does Kamara in midfield. 

Yet we lost to an awful Bournemouth with all 3 in the line up. Who's fault is that?

1 minute ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

The players that have come in under SG improve the team and squad.

Yet we look significantly worse than we did under him, before he had 2 transfer windows and a pre-season. Why is that?

2 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

McGinn

Who made him captain and starts him every game?

3 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Ramsey will get better.

Ramsey has got worse under Gerrard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Â