Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

On 05/09/2022 at 13:09, Peter Griffin said:

I don't think I am, the first column is 'MP' which refers to 'Matches Played' and this shows 6. That mean there are 32 games remaining and 96 points still to play for. Knowing the squad we have, that suggests to me no threat of relegation 

Despite how badly we've played since SG took over?  Joker

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Another thread gone completely mental.

So people actually want us to lose matches so we can get in managers who either have been, or are at risk of being, sacked because of their failed management of well-established teams with much better squads than we have?

Setting aside the unachievable fantasy of getting Pochettino, you would be happy for us to have Rodgers or Tuchel? Why not go the whole  hog and throw in Scott Parker?

Lose lots of matches and get in a floundering manager so long as it’s not Gerrard.

Great plan guys.

There is no need to want us to lose. People need to trust Gerrard. He will mess up tactics and team selection. 

I'm sure this has already been posted. But it sure as hell sounds a lot like he's going to keep playing mcginn. "wait patiently for nice football" "more pragmatic"

Instead of realising nice football is what correlates to winning. And the reason we've had a soft underbelly this season is because when we score and the opponent attacks we're putting our defence and our DM into a 7 on 5 situation because McGinn and Ramsey cannot defend to an acceptable Premier league standard. 

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Bruce was alright at the time. Did a good job steadying the ship, so achieved part of the remit. Gerrard came into a better place and I can't imagine he's hit any of the club's targets. 

At least Bruce played our best players. He was a tactically an idiot. But he can evaluate whether a player is decent or not. Gerrard seems to have no clue. 

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Bruce was alright at the time. Did a good job steadying the ship, so achieved part of the remit. Gerrard came into a better place and I can't imagine he's hit any of the club's targets. 

I heard he has been hitting Purslow's target twice a week

10 hours ago, ender4 said:

Can’t believe Gerrard is still here.  

Tuchel sacked for being 6th and 1 point ahead of Liverpool. 

Parker sacked after 1 win in first 4 matches, including beating Villa. 

Gerrard 3 wins in 16 games and still here.

Gerrard should have gone, but you can’t compare those other situations. 

Chelsea are a champions league team, they are going to have higher expectations. Plus it’s a new owner who wants to bring his own manager in. Tuchel was always on slim ground. 

Parker spoke out about the board and lack of backing that he’d had since they got promoted. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Thanks and I will take the feedback onboard 🙂. I agree we all want the best for Villa and we have different opinions. If we didn't have different opinions this place would be very very boring. The thing that annoys me most on here is when posters make up shyte to support their opinion. The constant snide remarks and and constant twisting of a comment to suit the narrative. I also don't like the ridiculous comments about NSWE and Purslow which are clearly just made to again support a narrative. 

Yes, I want SG to have more time. Is he on thin ice? yes! has he improved us since he replaced Deano? No! Should he be sacked if he can't show improvement in the next 6 games or so? Yes. That is just my opinion and I have no problem with people wanting him sacked now, there is merit to that argument. I just like when the debate is honest and not personal. 

I think that she shouldn't get more than the first 10 games if it is still not looking good with him here. 

Like you, I want him to succeed. I've never wanted a Villa manager to fail as that is not good for us. I want them all to succeed, whoever they are. 

I'm not going to lie, I felt more of a liking for Dean Smith not just purely because he is one of us but, aside of his love of Villa, he is actually a likeable character whereas Gerrard seems a miserable sod. 

I personally don't think that Gerrard will turn things around. I hope he does but I fear his tactics and team selection will plot his own downfall. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

But surely this indicates poor appointments over being trigger happy? Nobody needs me to list the hopeless managers we've sacked over 'what seems like forever'.

Agreed. I’d like to think that the current situation is more about finding the right appointment than deciding if we sack the president manager or not. If the board are as good and ambitious as we all hope, then the decision to make a change has been made and now finding the right replacement is underway. 

As fans we’d like that to be done quickly, I’m sure the board would too. But it’s better to take a little more time and get it right. The appointment of our next manager needs to be right this time, we can’t afford another mistake right now. I think SG is almost certainly on his way out regardless of the next game or two. I manager can’t be sackable after 32 games and then not sackable after 33. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, thunderball said:

I have always advocated stability and patience however I think Gerrard had to be an upgrade on Smith - he clearly isn’t on lots of levels, I even think he is inferior. I am not a big fan of his detached management, he comes across as entitled and destined for bigger things, he actually comes across as an old school attitude Management dinosaur. He might make it as a manager but we don’t have time to let him learn his trade, this club needs a solid, experienced manager, Poch and Tuchel, and possibly soon, Rogers all fit this bill. I think we have seen enough, some of our outings this term have been shambolic, however vs Man City was excellent. I just think it’s too late given what’s possibly on offer.

Great post. Agree completely 

5 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Gerrard should have gone, but you can’t compare those other situations. 

Chelsea are a champions league team, they are going to have higher expectations. Plus it’s a new owner who wants to bring his own manager in. Tuchel was always on slim ground

Parker spoke out about the board and lack of backing that he’d had since they got promoted. 

Do you mean thin ice?

12 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I'm sure this has already been posted. But it sure as hell sounds a lot like he's going to keep playing mcginn. "wait patiently for nice football" "more pragmatic"

Instead of realising nice football is what correlates to winning. And the reason we've had a soft underbelly this season is because when we score and the opponent attacks we're putting our defence and our DM into a 7 on 5 situation because McGinn and Ramsey cannot defend to an acceptable Premier league standard. 

He's oblivious to the fact that its not picking 'technical' players that has been the issue; it been his tactics of having 'technical' attacking players play narrow to cover midfielders, who are in turn covering the fullbacks, who for some reason are being used as our main creative outlets.

Funny that the times we have everyone playing in what would be considered their natural positions, with the technical players being allowed to create (and which actually helps the full backs going forwards as they can overlap/underlap instead of being asked to beat defenders from a standing start), we look better. And we also look better when we have technical players like Luiz and Kamara as the basis of our midfield instead of McGinn running around giving the ball away. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Villarocker said:

I think that she shouldn't get more than the first 10 games if it is still not looking good with him here. 

Like you, I want him to succeed. I've never wanted a Villa manager to fail as that is not good for us. I want them all to succeed, whoever they are. 

I'm not going to lie, I felt more of a liking for Dean Smith not just purely because he is one of us but, aside of his love of Villa, he is actually a likeable character whereas Gerrard seems a miserable sod. 

I personally don't think that Gerrard will turn things around. I hope he does but I fear his tactics and team selection will plot his own downfall. 

I know he’s crap but there’s no need for that mate 😆

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I agree that it's different because Gerrard and Purslow have a close relationship, but it shouldn't be different.

They are both professionals, with their own targets, and I would imagine Purslow will get the boot if he doesn't hit his targets.

The issue we have is that Purslow has stuck Gerrard on a ridiculous salary, without the experience to justify it.

I think Arsenal and City were free hits, if we revert to poor perforamces in next two games he'll be gone,

I'm sure it's more complicated than just sacking Purslow,  isn't he a minority shareholder? NSWE would have to buy his shares i'd imagine.

Edited by duke313

Â