Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I'd be more than happy to see Gerrard gone to be honest, just don't rate him. Wasn't confident when he was announced and nothing as really changed. His only success as a manager comes from the SPL which is a joke in comparison. 

Edited by MachoFantastico

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I hate press conferences in these situations, because i'm a big softie when it comes to the " human " element.

At least he's smart enough to not slag the fans off.

You want to feel for him but the only way he can help himself is by not being so stubborn, admit to his f*ck ups ( Doesn't have to be public ) and start doing the right things ffs.

Me too, I end up feeling sorry for them being wheeled out to mumble meaningless platitudes in front of journos. I would of course rather this experiment had been a roaring success, and I generally wouldn't consider myself to be massively reactionary as a football fan these days but now this all just feels like dragging on needless misery and upset for Gerrard, his staff, the players and the fans at this point. It needs to just end. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Me too. Even if I know the inevitable and right thing to do is dismissal, I hate seeing people get slowly ground down mentally. It’s not a fun watch and I also feel for his team around him. 

You can grind me down and call me a word removed to my face for close to a million quid a month. That's why they get the big bucks, no need to feel sorry for him, it's gonna cost us close to 10 mill to sack him, I'm sure he'll be fine in the Bahamas for a month with his family after being sacked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

- 9th from X to Y

- Arsenal in the same situation last year

Seems like Stevie has been on VillaTalk reading the posts in defence of him.

It's utter desperation now. 

He knows his managerial career is on the line. No excuse culture though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I will change things by keeping 2 up top, Ings & Watkins

Seen a lot of negativity towards this this week, from radio phone ins post Sunday game, to twitter, to ex pros on radio, to VT.

Where does our record of 20 points from 13 league games when starting both fit with this negativity, and the 18 points from 18 games where we've only started one of them, seeing as this what various people unhappy with us playing both want to see?

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You can grind me down and call me a word removed to my face for close to a million quid a month. That's why they get the big bucks, no need to feel sorry for him, it's gonna cost us close to 10 mill to sack him, I'm sure he'll be fine in the Bahamas for a month with his family after being sacked.

I know, I know. That was my point really, I’m completely soft when it comes to this stuff. You know even thought they’re miserable, they’re only holding out for the pay off. Bit like Bruce at Newcastle. Yet still I find it uncomfortable and I hate the pile ons and the hate. 

4 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Seen a lot of negativity towards this this week, from radio phone ins post Sunday game, to twitter, to ex pros on radio, to VT.

Where does our record of 20 points from 13 league games when starting both fit with this negativity, and the 18 points from 18 games where we've only started one of them, seeing as this what various people unhappy with us playing both want to see?

Bit more to it than just raw numbers if your genuinely trying to draw meaningful conclusion.

Does he tend to start them together for “winnable games”, home games? Were the other players the same barring them starting? Got to take into account the opponents play style and formation also.

Just looking at whether 2 players were present means very little.

6 minutes ago, penguin said:

Bit more to it than just raw numbers if your genuinely trying to draw meaningful conclusion.

Does he tend to start them together for “winnable games”, home games? Were the other players the same barring them starting? Got to take into account the opponents play style and formation also.

Just looking at whether 2 players were present means very little.

image.png.f98e12cb311a515fe026e38292954313.png

Here's the 11 games from last season. Defeats to Chelsea (two pens, Gerrard not present), West Ham (they took lead shortly after Ings subbed off), Spurs (we perhaps should have been clear by half time) and Liverpool.

You can add to this the Everton and West Ham games this season.

So I guess to could conclude we've mostly got the best results from the more winnable games and lost the tougher games, but at least it's got us mostly good results in the easier games which is more than can be said for the alternative in many cases, eg. defeats to Brentford, Newcastle, Watford and draws against Leeds and Burnley.

• Thanks 1

All just depressing isn't it? Bomb squad, captaincy issues, dross play, no goals, no chance against the top sides, out of form sides getting wins, relegation teams looking like world beaters against us. Only saving grace is that no one has crashed their car yet, but give it some time for depression and drink to settle in if we continue playing like we are.

2015 all over again and I don't think I'm being too reactionary about that.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You can grind me down and call me a word removed to my face for close to a million quid a month. 

Exactly. You get that all the time on here, but you don't get paid anything for it! :P

43 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

All just depressing isn't it? Bomb squad, captaincy issues, dross play, no goals, no chance against the top sides, out of form sides getting wins, relegation teams looking like world beaters against us. Only saving grace is that no one has crashed their car yet, but give it some time for depression and drink to settle in if we continue playing like we are.

2015 all over again and I don't think I'm being too reactionary about that.

Hang in there mate 😆 If we get a proper manager in soon, I would expect quite an improvement at the very least.

We actually have good, credible owners now with long terms plans and a vision. They’re not just all talk. I’m sure they believe actions are louder than any words. In fact, they don’t say a lot and aren’t looking for attention or media glory. They have great track records and are usually successful at what they do.

Everything is going well away from the pitch.  Healthy finances, amazing & state of the art facilities, a stadium expansion to look forward to. And, despite what some people may say or think, we do actually have some good players and the resources and capability to bring more/better in…

Again, we just need a proper manager and proper coaching methods… as crap as it has been, we can become a good, successful side again… we just have to put with a bit more shit but it’s going to be a relief when a change is made and we can have some hope about the new guy…

Hope that gives you some encouragement.

Changing the manager will do, for me anyway.

• Thanks 1

Â