Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Latest rumour is watkins and gerrard have fallen out.

It feels like a bandwagon thing

snowball effect

we lost badly

who was dropped/stripped of captaincy? Mings

Why? Injury, or Gerrard hates him

Gerrard makes weird Mings statement after match and everyone jumps on it and misreads it

slow news day

who else was drooped?

Watkins?

Oh can we not say Gerrard hates/has fallen out with him also?

But hasn't he dropped Watkins before for Ings?

Yes but that isn't as interesting as stoking up a big bonfire of how Gerrard has fallen out with everyone and Villa are falling apart

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, sne said:

This is an interesting and bleak read that matches the general, non-technical impression I had when watching the game. Our constant crosses were woeful. I love the one highlight that shows McGinn crossing to Bailey and Coutinho in the box with about six Bournemouth defenders around them.

Truth is, I haven't seen us so lacking in ideas since Bruce. I'm sure similar things were said about Arteta too though in the past, and I'd love to see an about turn in performance as soon as possible. But that Bournemouth game was genuinely horrific.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sne said:

Nothing we didn't see with our own eyes, but good to see it's being picked up outside of Villa fans. We did the same thing for the entire first half, they went in, had 15 minutes to change things up and get the team trying something different, and came back out to do exactly the same thing.

So was he completely out of ideas, or unable to get the players to do what he wants?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Has been dismissed by the Communications Director or whatever his job is but I can see it. Ollie hasnt looked happy in months and that interview he did last week felt like he waa being held at gunpoint

Just now, Zatman said:

Has been dismissed by the Communications Director or whatever his job is but I can see it. Ollie hasnt looked happy in months and that interview he did last week felt like he waa being held at gunpoint

We will know by end of window if its the case or not if true or bollocks as watkins would be of interest to alot of clubs. Would do well at somewhere like utd.

Gerrards really having a MON style dressing room with the things he does

Interesting in a week he has been heavily criticised probably one of the rare times in his careee, that none of the media have wheeled out his mates Carragher or Danny Murphy to staunchly defend him

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Gerrards really having a MON style dressing room with the things he does

Why Traore has been demoted, him and Gerrard headlocking each other on the training ground ala Reo Coker situation😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Interesting in a week he has been heavily criticised probably one of the rare times in his careee, that none of the media have wheeled out his mates Carragher or Danny Murphy to staunchly defend him

Well they wouldn’t be able to defend the Villa performance and they would have to spill the beans on what they know about the Mings situation as they clearly would know. So probably better to keep silent.

45 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah absolutely. I'm just not agreeing about every coach needing 12 months before they are able to get their ideas across to the players.

Sure that book that is mentioned is really informative. But it feels like gatekeeping to pretty much say that if you've not read it you have no clue of how football and coaching works

I used to play football with a guy who was a scout at a Championship club, one that spent some time in the Premier League. Possibly during his years working with them, I’m not sure. He did coaching for younger lads too.

Anyway, this guy was not only a pretty bad footballer but his chat before games was absolutely inane stuff, clichés and enlightened tactics (read: shite) and everything you’d expect on a Sunday morning.

Edited by a m ole

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Confirmed true then

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

It feels like a bandwagon thing

snowball effect

we lost badly

who was dropped/stripped of captaincy? Mings

Why? Injury, or Gerrard hates him

Gerrard makes weird Mings statement after match and everyone jumps on it and misreads it

slow news day

who else was drooped?

Watkins?

Oh can we not say Gerrard hates/has fallen out with him also?

But hasn't he dropped Watkins before for Ings?

Yes but that isn't as interesting as stoking up a big bonfire of how Gerrard has fallen out with everyone and Villa are falling apart

What was the weird statement after the match, I think I missed that?

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think anybody compared them did they?They were talking about what a top manager could potentially do if took over after 10-15 games. Doesn’t have to mean the seasons over. 

I think the Arteta comparison is a better one. He had no managerial experience at all and fans wanted him sacked big time.

Yes a few are, see below..

It's what people do, we compare...

4 hours ago, Pinebro said:

I think Howe is a very fair comparison. 

Not only is he hitting with his transfers he is also getting much more out of the pre existing players.

Whereas Gerrard is moaning about more signings instead of focusing getting more out of what he's got. 

4 hours ago, PeterSw said:

I agree and no doubt the people in the boardroom will be looking at Newcastle and wondering why they are above us in the league 

55 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

So why did we sign him then? Because it's playing out exactly how you'd expect for the rookie manager that managed in a joke league.

Yeah I know, just pointing out the obvious...the longer he's here it does seem a massive gamble unfortunately...

The appointment of Gerrard was a huge 'hit and hope'.

Right now what I'm watching is worse than under DS and a bit better than under SB, if this was forecast in our future that we would slowly keep regressing I'd rather have done it under Deano..... I backed Stevie G, liked what he did at Rangers and thought he had the goods. 

People keep saying it's only one match, but how many times are we going to get our pants pulled down buy a bang average team on opening day before we realise we gotta be prepared for high intensity we've got to move the ball quickly to expose any weaknesses in the structure. Put them on the back foot early and say welcome to the PL, you also don't play a short side against a team you know will look to do bits on set pieces.

The way we played, made it so easy for Bournemouth I was stunned. Anyone could see you couldn't just let them sit deep in slow build ups then hoof it long .... I don't even know what I'm talking about and I could see that.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

41 minutes ago, sne said:

I was hoping they'd get on the case. Very good, if disturbing, read. 

EDIT

Also, the club will have had their own reports, even better ones I'd assume, put together and distributed internally. 

Edited by daft

Gerrard does have a bit of a chippy personality - he has been reactive and downright rude on a number of occasions to reporters when he thinks they have been rude/ disprespectful or if he simply didnt like the question.

I think we probably all know characters like Gerrard - bit arrogant, bit of a bully, cant always express himself the way he wants, sense of humour bypass

I imagine this trait carries over into the rest of his managerial style - i reckon all it would take would be for a player to give an eyeroll, sigh, funny look, not paying attention, ignoring the manager, not laugh at his joke or whatever for Gerrard to take it thick, take it personally and hold a grudge.

it will be interesting to see if the events of the last week or so will prove to be a learning point for Gerrard or if it will just make him more defensive and immovable. There is a huge opportunity here for him to prove his humility, flexibility and adaptability because no one would blame him for mixing the team up for Saturday. Will he hold his hands up, admit he made some errors and change the team or will he stubbornly persevere with his selection? I reckon it will be a very telling microcosm of him as a person and his future in football management how he deals with it all. Genuinely cant remember anticipating a team sheet in ages as I am for Saturday

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I put on the other thread that Tommy Jordan denied that.  It was from Football Insider and Tommy rubbished it.  Depends how you then feel about Tommy but Football Insider is a lower than low.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

If that were true, why didn't we see any of it during the no-stakes preseason games? Surely that would be the perfect occasion to hammer it home. Occam's razor etc.

I don't know? As I said, there were some early positive signs but they've gone for some reason.

9 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I don't know? As I said, there were some early positive signs but they've gone for some reason.

The honeymoon period? We just played tighter defensively

Then bizarrely in the Gerrard mini pre season changed to a bizarre tactic nobody else uses. All his own doing

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I think Gerrard could go on to become an elite manager…. It just might not be with us.

Gerrard will never be an elite manager in my opinion, especially not when he’s so heavily reliant on coaches. Take away beale and critchley and he’s just a front man who can attract big signings. 

The media right now can smell blood in the waters at Villa. Unless something changes on the pitch I’d expect a lot more articles about 'x' player having a fall out or being banished. I get for a lot of people the emotions are raw, but let’s not fall for everything we see online. 

The media also know how Gerrard can be, he gets wound up easily when asked certain things or questioned so I’m going to expect a lot of that too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â