Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its subjective, I agree.....and I also agree that some issues we had with Dean are still rear their ugly head, well described by " Teales Moustache" in his post.

but 6 games 5 wins, and 5 clean sheets, doesn't seem bad to me, when fitness is the main criteria and still keeping the discipline of winning games.

Intensity, which is a prime concern right now, is rarely on display, in Pre season games.....but if you was looking for silky passages of play, then I can see why you are disappointed.

See I find this interesting. When criticism is made the response is always its pre season results don't count. Yet now they do. 

Win or lose, I'm not that bothered in pre season I look for who the manager thinks is his best players and the way we play. And very little made me feel positive.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, daft said:

I like you TRO. I have decided to be in your camp in terms of outlook. It makes me feel better instead of just allowing myself to yet again succumb to feelings of doom and gloom.

Make no mistake.....I am fuming.

and I still see glaring issues, that worry me....manifested so eloquently, by our goodwill and dogged tolerance of a fired up opposition.....goals gift wrapped, with the benevolence of Dr Barnado's Homes.

Vinnie Jones would have had some of them by the throat, if he was playing.

If I had a gun?.......

but lets get back to reality.....That car crash cannot continue, but throwing teddies out of prams is as equally futile as the result.

We need players who can defend like their lives depend on it......sorry, but thats the brief...to start with.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Also, if he is stirring up a stink, sulking or causing divisions then that’s against the club, and it’s only a step away from being toxic like Agbonlahor became

Yeah I don’t think Mings is the one doing this though eh…

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Make no mistake.....I am fuming.

and I still see glaring issues, that worry me....manifested so eloquently, by our goodwill and dogged tolerance of a fired up opposition.....goals gift wrapped, with the benevolence of Dr Barnado's Homes.

Vinnie Jones would have had some of them by the throat, if he was playing.

If I had a gun?.......

but lets get back to reality.....That car crash cannot continue, but throwing teddies out of prams is as equally futile as the result.

We need players who can defend like their lives depend on it......sorry, but that the brief.

Agree 100%, I was livid in front of the screen watching it. 

• Thanks 1

Let’s take it back to the Bournemouth game…

Can anyone justify why we were constantly putting aimless crosses and long balls into the area? With the players we have and the players that Bournemouth had? Why we were useless with the ball, unable to keep it on the ground and build up any patterns of play or fail to create any real clear cut chances? Against, potentially, one of the weakest sides in the division???

How does that make any sense? Is that not a demonstration of how clueless and inept this manager is?

31 crosses, to nobody, 6 of them “successful” - 19%.

We allowed the ball to bounce in our area on several occasions, while surely knowing what kind of or main threat the opposition carried. Madness.

Left young Kamara isolated with no decent options/areas for him to play the ball into…

Leaving their giant striker unmarked in the area…

Team selection was completely off. That’s on the manager. Mister “it’s on me” Gerrard… but not when it could involve any criticism hey Stevie? Just throw the players under the bus then…

He’s repeating the same mistakes and making new ones now too… it’s a major concern.

What the hell were we playing at? It’s all on the management and his staff…

If that’s how our players are being instructed to play, then how do we have any chance of getting the best out of them? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

See I find this interesting. When criticism is made the response is always its pre season results don't count. Yet now they do. 

Win or lose, I'm not that bothered in pre season I look for who the manager thinks is his best players and the way we play. And very little made me feel positive.

Winning is a mentality, that breeds....it does matter, it always matters, its a habit, its a mantra, its a way.....even the youth need to win, its what the game is ultimately all about.....Winning.

criticism is only made, when someone disagree's..and maybe we see this in different context.....but it wouldn't be the first time would it, respectfully speaking.

It would be futile, to get our (fitness right, easy on the eye football, with pretty little triangles) and losing every game 2/3 -0...pre-season or not.

It cost a well revered manager in Biesla, his job, because he could only play one way, despite his teams showing exciting football....they couldn't keep clean sheets.

Clean sheets win trophies.....goals fill stadiums....In the ideal world, you need both, but when you are building, one may need to come first.

How many great managers of the past have said, you build from the back, clean sheets, build confidence and it is the platform for goal scoring......you don't start with the roof in a house build, foundations first.

Conceding so easy, will derail us, if we continue with it.

I can't make you feel postive.....I don't feel that positive myself, for different reasons to you, Hence my predictions of Saturdays game.....I am looking for more pragmatic things not being done well, to maybe some things you are looking for....perhaps we are both right.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Was listening to the MOMS podcast earlier and they mentioned the early form when he first came in, and then how that changed once Gerrard had chance to get his ideas across. That ‘mini pre-season’ was at the end of January/start of February. He had a couple of weeks to stamp some identity on the team. This is what he said at the time:

We went on to draw 3-3 with Leeds, then lost to Newcastle and Watford. There were some great performances in the 3-0 and 4-0 vs Leeds and Southampton, but those performances haven’t been seen since. We won 5 from 17 up to the end of the season, finishing with a classic Villa 2 goal lead capitulation on the last day. 

Gerrard joined in November, he’s had plenty of time to get his ideas across. It’s just concerning that his ideas might actually not be very good ones. 

Or that he has good ideas but our players are either not good enough or not willing to adopt them.  The truth is probably somewhere between the two.  Is it the fault of our midfielders that for three seasons we have failed to consistently control the ball in the middle of the pitch and supply quality balls to our attacking players in dangerous positions, whilst at the same time leaving our defence exposed when we lose possession but not tracking back quickly enough.  Or is that a problem with the ideas and approaches that Smith and Gerrard have tried to implement.  We've not got worse under Gerrard (results wise at least) - we just don't seem to have improved as much as we and our owners expected, particularly in light of the fact that our recruitment has been pretty strong in the last two windows.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Not really my point though. I’m talking about the overnight Stevie-Out club. The people who have been calling for his dismissal for months and months have a better case, provided things continue to go pear-shaped 

I think a lot of people were pinning their hopes on a new season washing away all the problems that had been showing up last season, but that hope was shattered on Saturday.

• Like 2

Too much time on my hands but people were talking about PPG, and arbitrary cut off times around the honeymoon/from January onwards, I was curious about what it looked like throughout last season

voJektD.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The web editor has been reading the room. Players smiling now would only make fans furious, so those pics weren’t used today.

They allowed Bailey a half smile but only because it was his birthday.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think everybody at the ground needs to do this regardless of feelings towards SG.

Groans and boos won't make a tense situation any better, it can actually make it much, much worse.

The 12th man can build confidence and pull a performance out of them we know they are well capable of.

Even though Everton lost, they will have some confidence too as they actually weren't bad against Chelsea, we need to stamp that out asap.

I wouldn’t hold your breath, the muppets sitting in front of me on saturday were hurling abuse at the players after 5 minutes!

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Too much time on my hands but people were talking about PPG, and arbitrary cut off times around the honeymoon/from January onwards, I was curious about what it looked like throughout last season

voJektD.png

Don’t let Nick see this ffs! 😂

A few more crazy decisions by Gerrard and he will have a full on mutiny, he's clearly divided the dressing room with his favourite pickings, mings dropped will further divide the squad and withing the next few weeks he will drop the easy targets but back his mates, personally I cannot stand SG as our manager he's talks the talk but stumbles when he walks.

Edited by villan501
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, WHY said:

Mings fell out with Smith, Watkins had a face like a smacked arse for most of last season, Buendia was throwing his arms in the air in most games under Smith. Chuck got plenty of chances under Gerrard. 

Gerrard needs to improve but the same players were unhappy under Smith. 

some perspective creeping in.

Maybe the closed season has seen his mood change towards some....." give them enough rope and all that"

I think Dean may have had similar issues....I remember him saying on one occasion, "they didn't do what I was asking" and I believed him, does anyone really believe Dean Smith set us up to play like that against Watford, No.....top managers don't ask players to do some of the things, I have seen....They are better than that, that includes Dean Smith, I think some players, let him down.....I think SG is now experiencing  it, now he is gettng what Dean Smith had, to deal with.

It takes strong management to sort it out.....and sort it he must, just like Arteta, did.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

The doubts have been talked about for months but apparently he needed a magical preseason and all would be right but those same doubts for months are continuing in the first competitive match of the new season.  

It’s only one game but the promise from a full season has changed absolutely nothing from last season.  

So the points have been explained many times but it was all too soon for SG to be judged we were told, he needed a full preseason, that has now happened and we so far see nothing different so I refute your argument.  

He still has time but this poor play from the Bournemouth game similar to last season can’t continue, if it does over the next half a dozen games then he’s in trouble…

I fully grasp that Gerrardosceptics have been making cases for a long time, and I acknowledge in another post that those people will seem increasingly prescient if we continue to lose matches.

I’m talking about the swell of overnight “everything‘s different now“ camp. I don’t think the Bournemouth match deserves to be regarded as such a end-all-be-all trip wire. I just don’t. We’ll see. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

Â