Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not necessarily, but I had no where to hide did I?

Just had to own up to my mistake and correct it with the accurate info lol

Already gone bad

Fair play mate. !!!!!

your getting there. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's too early to judge his tenure definitively, but I think people are within their rights to judge the football on display.

It's not like he inherited Paul Lambert's 2013 squad or something. Yesterday our subs were: Philippe Coutinho, Danny Ings and Bertrand Traore. The latter was our 3rd highest goal contributor last season, and hasn't had a sniff this season. These are good players he's working with. He doesn't need a summer and 9 figure spending to get them playing well in a seemingly rigid system. He was able to do it in his first few games here, so it's obviously possible.

I only disagree with the bold.

Those first few games were backs to the wall, defensive, smash and grabs. Not a problem with me. But they were NOT the attacking football, controlling games, Gerrard has said he wants.

This silly formation he is going ahead with will not allow us to fulfil potential.

• Like 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

I only disagree with the bold.

Those first few games were backs to the wall, defensive, smash and grabs. Not a problem with me. But they were NOT the attacking football, controlling games, Gerrard has said he wants.

This silly formation he is going ahead with will not allow us to fulfil potential.

Nah we were playing proper beautiful football. "Gerrard ball" was exciting. City at home, the 2 games against United (we absolutely battered them at OT) come to mind. I don't know what's happened to this, it really saddens me that we play some weird hybrid between boring, ineffective 2014 Lambert ball and McLeish-esque hoofball.

I really hope spending in the summer can bring this back!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Nah we were playing proper beautiful football. "Gerrard ball" was exciting. City at home, the 2 games against United (we absolutely battered them at OT) come to mind. I don't know what's happened to this, it really saddens me that we play some weird hybrid between boring, ineffective 2014 Lambert ball and McLeish-esque hoofball.

Ah I thought you meant bit earlier. Palace, Brighton, Leicester wins.

We have had good games for sure!

IMO it's been poor more often than not, and it is nearly all down to the manager's refusal to use any wingers or width in advanced positions. The forwards and 10s have no one to play off and it all gets clogged up centrally.

Here's to it clicking more often than not next season - new signings should help providing they're the right purchases.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

How many games will he be given if things don't get off to a good start?

I think the Christmas World Cup break will be a cut off. If we are struggling like now he will have to go

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have a feeling a few might be disappointed as I’m expecting a very strong start to the season.  Top 6 by the time World Cup comes around.

Not Villa fans presumably?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have a feeling a few might be disappointed as I’m expecting a very strong start to the season.  Top 6 by the time World Cup comes around.

Don't threaten me with a good time!

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m genuinely not sure mate, I think once a persons mind is made up about a manager it’s hard to really be happy with how the team is doing as they’ve convinced themselves his ultimately going to fail anyway so it’s just a waste of time.  

Again Bruce being the perfect example, 90 minutes away from promotion yet a season later the defeats and poor performance were almost welcoming if it meant we could get him out the door and finally move on. 

It's why enjoying the match, win or lose, is so important to me personally.

Under Bruce the wins weren't even enjoyable because we were so shit. Right up to the play-odd semis and final. Almost welcome is a good way of describing losses under managers like that.

If we're top 6 of the Prem at Christmas, I don't think you'll find many unhappy Villa fans because they didn't think he's a great appointment now. As always though, I'll be basing my opinion on performances and little else.

32 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve noticed when playing against a team we need to break down the fans aren’t patient with us moving it around waiting for an opening. Eventually the moans and groans get louder and the players try to force it and in most cases lose it.  

Think that might be down to us playing at a too slow tempo with not enough movement.

Passing it around to break down the opponent and create openings only works if you do it at a high ball tempo or at least changes tempo and make runs without the ball. We are quite poor at that and have been for some time (before Gerrard too).

Pretty much only Buendia tries to inject some tempo. We are pedestrian in possession.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It’s strange cos that video is how I see us playing all the time.

• Like 1

I'm still skeptical about Gerrard, as he wasn't my top choice to replace Smith when we made the move. I have no idea how this will work out or what's going to happen this summer.

But what I do know is this: We sold our best player before the start of the season. We then replaced our manager early in the season. How many Premier League clubs in the history of this league have sold their best player before a season, changed managers during the season, and then improved their position in the table? 

I can't imagine it happens too often.

4 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I'm still skeptical about Gerrard, as he wasn't my top choice to replace Smith when we made the move. I have no idea how this will work out or what's going to happen this summer.

But what I do know is this: We sold our best player before the start of the season. We then replaced our manager early in the season. How many Premier League clubs in the history of this league have sold their best player before a season, changed managers during the season, and then improved their position in the table? 

I can't imagine it happens too often.

Throw in being able to sign one of the most talented players in the world in January and it's been a bit of a rollercoaster with the ups and downs.  Tbh it's not far off seemingly what half the PL can expect in a season at the end of the day and why it's so packed in the middle of the table.  I'd still be a bit disappointed with 14th if we lose on Sunday.

52 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

It’s strange cos that video is how I see us playing all the time.

We played close to this yesterday, we were just unlucky I feel but oftentimes it's just too laboured. I don't know if it's because teams set up against us differently or what now, but we can't get the ball into our #10's fast enough, or we do but Coutinho is coming way too deep to collect the ball affect the play. And that's on a good day. But like I surmised earlier, I think Emi B is crucial to this. Which is why it's so perplexing that Gerrard uses him so sparingly.

Edit: Also I should add, we just seem a lot braver in that clip. In our own half, in our own box, it didn't matter, we were playing it out. More often than not now, if we face any kind of intense press we panic and go longer and try to hit Ollie in the channels. Which reminds me that our strikers are not really involved in the build up play anymore, at least not to that extent.

Edited by Keyblade

1 hour ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Very true. But that was clearly the objective. Huge error in thinking here for me, and we're currently reaping what the owners have sown. Poor decision. Poor choice.

We might as well change our motto to: 'Oh well, let's see what happens next season, eh?'

• Like 1

Â