Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Very true. But that was clearly the objective. Huge error in thinking here for me, and we're currently reaping what the owners have sown. Poor decision. Poor choice.

We might as well change our motto to: 'Oh well, let's see what happens next season, eh?'

Lol what is our motto now? proud history, bright future… or Be Prepared?

Still not sure what a table like that says. Leicester and West Ham played in Europe during that time. Many other variables to consider so it is a poor point to make if you want to use statistics.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

not sure what your point is, a table of position from the games he has been here, is probably one of the most reasonable and unbiased ways to judge how well the team has done?

Not sure what a better way to judge the teams performance over 26 games would be.....

From a statistical point it is bullshit. PPG I can buy but not a table with a lot of games we don't even been involved in.

6 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

From a statistical point it is bullshit. PPG I can buy but not a table with a lot of games we don't even been involved in.

You realise that the PPG is what makes the table right?

So his PPG would be 8th in the time Hes been here. lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You realise that the PPG is what makes the table right?

So his PPG would be 8th in the time Hes been here. lol

So you just proved that you don't know how statistics work. Pathethic.

3 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

So you just proved that you don't know how statistics work. Pathethic.

I've already has one clanger on here today.

However i'm pretty sure that there is no rocket science involved in calculating POINTS PER GAME.

Or calculating that the form table in the allotted time would indicate that the higher / lower the team/ Manager in the table, the higher/lower the PPG?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

We're eighth in the table based on games since Gerrard was here whether using PPG or not.

Edited by useless
⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️

16 minutes ago, useless said:

We're eighth in the table based on games since Gerrard was here whether using PPG or not.

and you don't understand either. It is a terrible point to try to make.

29 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Still not sure what a table like that says. Leicester and West Ham played in Europe during that time. Many other variables to consider so it is a poor point to make if you want to use statistics.

Your just clutching at straws , anything other than to admit Gerrard has done a decent job, might not be perfect but it’s far from the disaster many make it out to be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

and you don't understand either. It is a terrible point to try to make.

You said " I'll accept PPG " , but at the same time you're rejecting a table based on PPG?

There is obviously something we are missing, so you should educate us perhaps?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Your just clutching at straws , anything other than to admit Gerrard has done a decent job, might not be perfect but it’s far from the disaster many make it out to be.

But this table gets rolled out every day, I reply and I get told that I’m boring repeating the same arguments against it.  Just as people are bored with my reply I’m bored with that table.  So let’s do the dance again

New manager bounce of 6 games, 12 points playing very different to now.

Then the last 20 games getting 23 points (I’m guessing 21 games with 23 points by the end of Sunday).

Since the fanfare of him joining and that initial bounce his record hasn’t been decent it’s been (being generous) mediocre!

Have your little table but all that shows is that he started really well but then got worse and the last 10 games has been 2 wins, 3 draws and 5 losses.  

Those first six games of his tenure inflates his stats which maybe fair but the devil is in the detail and covering that we have gone backwards since those initial games…

Im assuming the same usual flawed arguments come back at me from people 😁 so I will refrain from responding tonight because we’ve heard them before, we responded to them before, no point rehashing them.  We just look forward to next season and see if he can improve this poor run!

Edited by nick76

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But this table gets rolled out every day, I reply and I get told that I’m boring repeating the same arguments against it.  Just as people are bored with my reply I’m bored with that table.  So let’s do the dance again

New manager bounce of 6 games, 12 points playing very different to now.

Then the last 20 games getting 23 points (I’m guessing 21 games with 23 points by the end of Sunday).

Since the fanfare of him joining and that initial bounce his record hasn’t been decent it’s been (being generous) mediocre!

Have your little table but all that shows is that he started really well but then got worse and the last 10 games has been 2 wins, 3 draws and 5 losses.  

Those first six games of his tenure inflates his stats which maybe fair but the devil is in the detail and covering that we have gone backwards since those initial games…

Im assuming the same usual flawed arguments come back at me from people 😁

Let's be honest here, that table is the ONLY factual set of statistics, regardless of anyone being PRO or Anti SG.

" New Manager bounce of 6 games " ..... how does one accurately gauge or prove this? What if it only lasted 2.73 games, or 7.84 games?

How do we know that Eddie Howe isn't shite really, and has just had a new Manager bounce of 26 games? ( Well 16 - 18 as he lost 2 out of 10 initially ), When did his bounce kick in?

Has Lampards new Manager bounce just kicked in?

Like you've said, we will go in circles, and if we assume that everybody on all sides are wrong, the only actual fact based measurement is THE TABLE.

Everything else is us arguing about our feelings.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Let's be honest here, that table is the ONLY factual set of statistics, regardless of anyone being PRO or Anti SG.

" New Manager bounce of 6 games " ..... how does one accurately gauge or prove this? What if it only lasted 2.73 games, or 7.84 games?

How do we know that Eddie Howe isn't shite really, and has just had a new Manager bounce of 26 games? ( Well 16 - 18 as he lost 2 out of 10 initially ), When did his bounce kick in?

Has Lampards new Manager bounce just kicked in?

Like you've said, we will go in circles, and if we assume that everybody on all sides are wrong, the only actual fact based measurement is THE TABLE.

Everything else is us arguing about our feelings.

As I keep saying Aug 6 isn't long to wait.

He will have had chance to buy a few players - and have lots of non playing time with the squad - like he had in Jan.

• Like 1

A mate who's an Arsenal fan felt negatively towards Arteta when they were doing poorly, I look at Villa now and see green shoots of what we will be, but we don't have the results. I'm of the opinion we will improve dramatically next season with SG and with some good big dollar purchases. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

" New Manager bounce of 6 games " ..... how does one accurately gauge this?

Not really!  If the question what are his stats for the full tenure, yes that is factual.

If the question is what are his stats then full tenure is correct, league tables use six games, we’ve discussed 10 games today, I’ve discussed 20 games, commentators the other day used 2022 form.  Those are all factual by definition,so it depends on the question.

Some on here only want to use full tenure, some want to analyse form so they are all factual.

I agree the new manager bounce is subjective and my opinion but it doesn’t take away that the last 20 games we have 23 points, that’s factual.  We have in the last 10 games only 9 points.  Those are all facts.

What you are describing is fact answer to the only question you want to ask, which is what is SG tenure stats because you aren’t keen on looking at other stats because they don’t reflect so well.  I’ve never argued with the full tenure stat, I’ve just argued that we need to break it down, look at form not just tenure to see the underlying stats because full tenure is hiding recent form, half a season of form, home form which I was told was 2 wins in the last 11 (haven’t confirmed this).  So.

They are all factual stats! 

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

A mate who's an Arsenal fan felt negatively towards Arteta when they were doing poorly, I look at Villa now and see green shoots of what we will be, but we don't have the results. I'm of the opinion we will improve dramatically next season with SG and with some good big dollar purchases. 

Funny thing is now, since their loss of form, I see Arsenal fans moaning that their team is too young and inexperienced, and that they need proven and experienced " Winners " in the squad, with a sprinkling of youngsters coming through. They seem to feel this is what has cost them that Champions League spot in the end.

I only thought of us when he said this because the age of potential new signings seems to be another sticking point.

You can definitely see the argument for getting some experience in, as we already have a brilliant Academy and prospects, as well as players in between those ranges.

• Like 1

Â