Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If this is true and its Preece so probably not but if it is then I give up. Purslow will need to be sacked same as Lange as thats not what we were told the club would be going forward and not another MON scenario

I'm hoping it's more hands on but not full influence because it would be concerning if we moved to giving the manager ultimate control of the direction of the football club. 

• Like 2

SG talked about the transfer process here:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-steven-gerrard-23645720

"And that's what we will try and do, we will have a combination of data, analysis, people watching them and also a collective discussion and we all have to be on the same page before we make big decisions for this club. I'll make the final decision of course I will, but I'm very happy with the support we have in place."

I don’t get why him working closer with Lange and co is a bad thing? It’s not like we are going to bin our recruitment team and have Gerrard as the only one with a say. 

Also we’ve heard since the end of Jan that we are going to go through a rebuild,  I think that is true for the most part but it’s unlikely we are going to bin 7-11 starters/first team players. We have a few out on loan that need to come off the books, plus some in our squad that need to play elsewhere. The rest are going to either be squad players instead or they will still be starters. I highly doubt it’ll be a FIFA/Football Manager style overhaul.

• Like 2

At the end of the day, what is required is a collective leap of faith, from NSWE on down to VillaTalk. 

Gerrard gets the summer and until at least January.

If he's failed, then the owners will need to make some hard decisions on his fate, as well as Lange and Purslow.

Until then, we may as well not wring our hands too much because there is **** all any of us can do about it.

We've got a very busy and exciting summer ahead if us, let's enjoy it.

The stepping into the unknown is half the fun, in my opinion. 

Our trajectory is positive. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I don’t get why him working closer with Lange and co is a bad thing? 

It’s just another thing for people to flap and moan about. We know very little of how things work on the inside, maybe it’s a tweak that needed making, maybe Lange has asked for it. Maybe Preece knows nothing. It sounds sensible to me. Let’s just see how it goes.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Imagine the manager having a say on the players we sign.

What witchcraft is that?! 

Rumour has it that Klopp has no idea who Liverpool will sign. Diaz turned up in an Amazon Prime box with a bow on it. 

Interestingly, I'm pretty sure I read it was Liverpool's scouting team who really pushed for Salah when plenty of other names were in the hat. Luckily Klopp signed off on it!

I don't think the manager should come up with any targets. Just approve the final decision.

The world is too big. There's hundreds of attainable players out there who would improve us. There's not enough hours in the day for someone involved with training to be finding players.

I don't believe the Coutinho/Digne signings were anything other than Gerrard saying I want this exact player. I hope that doesn't happen this summer because it's a poor way to work in 2022.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

Let’s just see how it goes.

I think the concern is once you open the door it’s hard to close it. Could easily see Gerrard over-powering Lange to sign a player.

Then “the system” is gone.

You see it all the time in business. Some corporate type comes in and tells the mid-level people how to do their job. Often ends in disaster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m not that concerned about SG being involved and having opinions about transfers, that’s pretty much standard after all even if the Brentford model is different.

I was a little more concerned about other parts in that article, where it’s said there will hardly be signings of players under the age of 24 for some time.

13 minutes ago, Enda said:

I think the concern is once you open the door it’s hard to close it. Could easily see Gerrard over-powering Lange to sign a player.

Then “the system” is gone.

You see it all the time in business. Some corporate type comes in and tells the mid-level people how to do their job. Often ends in disaster.

And often doesn’t. In any case, my point is, people are frothing about something they don’t know about. Frothing about performances is one thing, getting het up this when we don’t know whether a) if anything is actually changing b) how it is changing or c) whether it is changing for the better or worse. 

Someone quoted Gerrard a few posts ago and nothing that he said was unreasonable.

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

Rumour has it that Klopp has no idea who Liverpool will sign. Diaz turned up in an Amazon Prime box with a bow on it. 

The is complete BS!........ I've never had an amazon prime box with a bow....

25 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Interestingly, I'm pretty sure I read it was Liverpool's scouting team who really pushed for Salah when plenty of other names were in the hat. Luckily Klopp signed off on it!

I don't think the manager should come up with any targets. Just approve the final decision.

The world is too big. There's hundreds of attainable players out there who would improve us. There's not enough hours in the day for someone involved with training to be finding players.

I don't believe the Coutinho/Digne signings were anything other than Gerrard saying I want this exact player. I hope that doesn't happen this summer because it's a poor way to work in 2022.

Yeah completely agree, if Gerrard knows individual players in the French / German etc leagues then he probably isn’t spending enough time concentrating on his current players. This is why we employ scouts, head of recruitment, football directors etc, the days of the manager managing the whole business are long gone and attempting to return to that would be a monumental step backwards.

I’m sure he is in constant dialogue with the other guys to discuss his requirements and any players which have been identified or have suddenly become available 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Everyone knows a first team coach just puts the cones and bibs out, nothing more.

I have it on good authority that Gerrard even goes one step further and takes the breakfast order for the lads, with McGinn always having a BEST! Proof below for the doubters.

image.jpeg.c8f6b3a9e6cb5d5701a2f5880ba438ab.jpeg

Edited by ferguson1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Good job everything coming out of the club and what OBE has said, this  isn’t the case.

Gerrard being more involved than Smith doesn’t mean he will demand x player and our recruitment process has changed. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I'm not sure anyone said that. 

The concern would be a return to the years of Lerner, where very different managers buy very different players and the end result was a hugely expensive bomb squad. 

No issue what so ever with Gerrard being hands on. Coutinho is clearly evidence of that.

• Like 2

I saw a table from when Gerrard took over Villa are ninth, it's good progress.

Considering losing our best player, losing the manager, changing/tweaking footballing philosophy and the players aren't his it's okay.

People unfortunately made their mind up about Gerrard before he even walked into Bodymoor. It's sad and completely wrong.

The consensus is typically that a manager needs at least three transfer windows to establish his team and philosophy.

People need to be patient as to be honest this thread is embarrassing.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I was a little more concerned about other parts in that article, where it’s said there will hardly be signings of players under the age of 24 for some time.

Definitely see that signing younger prospects when we have a burgeoning academy is counter productive to the the long term goal. IMO it’s foolish to spunk millions on a younger player to block the path for one of our own when we’ve worked so hard to build an academy these past few years. A 35 yo Suarez for a season whilst Barry & Archer mature makes a lot of sense and more so than paying say £30 million + on Hugo Ekitike. 

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I saw a table from when Gerrard took over Villa are ninth, it's good progress.

Considering losing our best player, losing the manager, changing/tweaking footballing philosophy and the players aren't his it's okay.

People unfortunately made their mind up about Gerrard before he even walked into Bodymoor. It's sad and completely wrong.

The consensus is typically that a manager needs at least three transfer windows to establish his team and philosophy.

People need to be patient as to be honest this thread is embarrassing.

Just imagine where we could be in the table if the players didn't look slow and laboured in 75% of the games we play.

• Like 1

Â