Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

40 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Lampard was starting to feel the heat in the media recently being described as spoiled, inexperienced, self centered, can’t deal with adversity and so on. But now Everton has taken a couple of points so he’s off the hook for the time being.

Gerrard will likely be lambasted by the media as well unless Villa’s form picks up soon. In the build em up/knock em down narrative, England’s golden boys will be tempting targets.

Gerrard is highly unlikely to be lambasted by the media imo.

42 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was listening to the 1874 podcast, and Bardell and Holly made a good point.

They've said that they are wondering if, there might also be a slight disconnect with some fans, because there haven't been enough in depth interviews with new members of the squad and so on. Similar to the cringe worthy " Drive Time " features we used to have.

So the obvious aside, Deano going, Jack going, some familiar players going, and some people not favouring SG, obviously.

People don't really know who some of the players or as lads, nor have seen enough of them to develop any sort of relationship with them.

Could be nothing, but I thought it was interesting.

For me personally I do feel a slight disconnect, I know it's mainly down to Jack leaving. I'd say he was the catalyst to my feeling now, last summer I was so excited to see Jack this season with our potential new signings. Then the saga happened I still believed it was all BS, until all the reports of him signing for City. So when Dean got sacked, I was upset but I spent most of my emotions on Jack. I remember saying to my Missus that I don't think I'll ever invest my emotions in a player that plays for us again, it just felt horrible.

Saying all of that, I am a patient guy so for me I'm going to continue to back Gerrard to do well I do believe he will get us right even though it looks bleak now. We have been in transition since last summer pretty much, we are all having to learn to 'love' our new heros. I think that is why signing Coutinho is important, not only for attracting players but we will have a world class player that can change a game at any time. Hopefully Bailey, Buendia, Ings (if he is still here next season), Digne and Chambers can all start putting it together for us consistently and Gerrard finds a way to include them along with any of the remaining players that survive our clearout + our new future signings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Ive backed gerrard and still has my backing but cabt argue so far he has been a failure. When you look at what howes done at newcastle its no comparison. 

He can’t be a failure after just 20 games - such a comparison isn’t really fair either 

• Haha 1

Interesting to hear the way he talks about Klopp telling him to take the U18's rather than the U23's because the U23's need to play the way the first team does and he'd be pulling players out and putting them back in for games and training - that's exactly the approach I understand that Gerrard himself takes to our U23's - it's an extension of the first team whereas the youth is more about developing players in a more isolated way, they have their own patterns and plans.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Interesting to hear the way he talks about Klopp telling him to take the U18's rather than the U23's because the U23's need to play the way the first team does and he'd be pulling players out and putting them back in for games and training - that's exactly the approach I understand that Gerrard himself takes to our U23's - it's an extension of the first team whereas the youth is more about developing players in a more isolated way, they have their own patterns and plans.

Just watched this interview and it's obvious he's still in the early stages of his managerial career.  He's had some very good managers who've advised him along the way,  and it was strangely good to hear that he knew he was coming to a completely different job than he'd ever been to previously.   He's used to winning more than losing and not every team he's in charge of is going to dominate the opposition so the players need to have a degree of adaptability.   It seems some of them don't have that characteristic but will have his full support whilst they are part of the squad. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Just watched this interview and it's obvious he's still in the early stages of his managerial career.  He's had some very good managers who've advised him along the way,  and it was strangely good to hear that he knew he was coming to a completely different job than he'd ever been to previously.   He's used to winning more than losing and not every team he's in charge of is going to dominate the opposition so the players need to have a degree of adaptability.   It seems some of them don't have that characteristic but will have his full support whilst they are part of the squad. 

A degree of adaptability - oh the irony 😄

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Why isn't it a fair comparison? Newcastle were getting relegated before Howe came along and playing terribly. I agree with the sentiment of defending gerrard and my judging him yet, but don't see why it's not fair to say Howe has done a much better job

It's not a fair comparison because it makes Stevie G look bad.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, useless said:

If we take another ten points from the final seven games that will mean that Gerrard will have taken as many points from his twenty-seven games in charge this season as we took in our final twenty-games last season, and that's coming in part way through the season into a struggling team, with Bailey and Traore out for months, and no Grealish. I suspect we will actually take more than ten points from the final ten games.

To be fair, our end to last season was thoroughly dismissed as trash though, so only just getting back to being as good as that is still disappointing.

(But it does also ignore the tumultuous time since tbf)

27 seven games isn't just the end of the season, it's most of the season, and I'msure no one would claim that they were unhappy with our final 27 games last season, if Gerrard matches it he will have done well, as he's come into harder circumstances, took over a team that was struggling, that wasn't his own, that he hasn't had a pre season with, that didn't have the advantage of Grealish, that has had Bailey and Traore out for months and not to mention Nakamba who looked he was becoming an important player.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

What did Gerrard take over then? A squad with fitness issues? 

I know you're being facetious, but yes honestly.

Also, we might have lost 5 in a row, but they lost something silly like 15 out of 17 before he came in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Okay. "What's the one thing Villa need to do to get into the top 4"

"Believe"

He's an absolute pashun merchant

because all the top teams have it......you maybe didn't see Ron Saunders teams?

Belief, workrate, resillience, desire, will, authority.

They had it.

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

silly like 15 out of 17 before he came in.

I mean we'd won three premier league games before he arrived in the first ten. And the last two games of last season. And won in the EFL Cup. So this isn't quite right. 

But. On Gerrard, I believe the way he sets the team up is driving the results, rather than form. We're too easy to play against on the counter. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

They had it.

Not even that, he's taken an excerpt from the video, and chopped it up how he wants it, for it to sound like the bloke is an idiot.

I just watched that whole episode last night, and thought to myself " The only way you can take negatives from this, is if you want to ".

In some instances I reckon he was painfully honest, with some things you know people will further use against him.

Such as admitting that he knows he's not a " great manager " and that there are " levels " but is constantly learning and wants to improve, just like when he was a player etc 

Anyway was a good watch .

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, TRO said:

They had it.

Yes, they had it all. Interestingly I was dubious over Saunders’ appointment at the time but how wrong I was. Remind you of things now?

• Like 2

Â