Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

becoming a common theme though not turning up for games........

Am I the only one that reads that as I need to bring in players rather than work with what I have got?

17 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

So Smith took us from Bruce-ball and mid-table championship mediocrity to keeping us up comfortably and getting some good results against the top sides but got the sack after a run of 5 straight defeats.

We have Spurs and Leicester in the next 2. Anybody seeing us win those? And if we lose them (as expected) that's 5 loses on the trot.

I suspect we won't get rid of Gerrard even after 5 straight losses....

... but it makes me wonder if we weren't too quick to pull the trigger on Smith.

It was probably time for Smith to go but most would have hoped for an upgrade rather than a trainee as his replacement

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

to be brutally honest, i dont think any, or at least, a very small number of managers we couldnt attract, could possibly get more out of this team.

Without trying to sound hyperbolic, we have some very overrated players, i think only 5-6 of our senior squad are more than mid table, lower half quality, its really that simple.

The team is full of mid table at best players like you say. A lot of our fans massively over rate our players.  How many of our starting 11 get into any of the teams above us,  1 or 2 tops imo.

• Like 4

Just now, mykeyb said:

Am I the only one that reads that as I need to bring in players rather than work with what I have got?

Yep, I think he’s hinted a few times that many of these players don’t have the right mentality, the winning mentality.  He pointed out that JJ has it though which is encouraging 

18 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

When does it become the players taking some responsibility for performances? Or  the reality of the players not being good enough to push us further? Gerrard has earned and deserves more time IMO.

Not saying Gerrard should be sacked now, but how has he earned time?

I still think it was time to get rid of Smith, but also that Gerrard has a lot to prove. There are lots of proven managers in Europe but in the Villa world the discussion usually reverts to talk about somehow reinstating Smith.

It’s possible for a club to have had two managers who are both less than stellar.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

Yep, I think he’s hinted a few times that many of these players don’t have the right mentality, the winning mentality.  He pointed out that JJ has it though which is encouraging 

Yep, this is why I think we need to give him time. I don’t think Gerrard will take any less than 100% effort, he has to work with what he has right now but I think he’ll do a good job of shipping out those who aren’t up for it 

19 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

It was tough enough that Celtic had won 9 in a row. Then he won the league unbeaten.

"The Scottish League is rubbish". Well yeah its of much lower quality than the PL but you still have to beat 11 other sides over 38 games.

Would Jurgen Klopp win the title with Hearts? No so quality has nothing to do with it.

Klopp would mount a serious title challenge with Hearts, he’s one of the best coaches of all time.

Entertaining watching the anti-Smith boo boys tying themselves in knots to explain why these 5 losses on the bounce will be different from Smith’s 5 losses on the bounce though. People don’t half talk some **** shite about facts and rules to justify their own subjective opinions.

Anyway, no, we shouldn’t be talking about sacking Gerrard ffs. Stop panicking. This team has won plenty of games and scored plenty of goals, it just has a habit of also being awful sometimes. Classic erratic mid table side.

I can’t see how this is Gerrard’s fault. Look at each play thread. Everyone is saying how each player isn’t good enough. THAT’S the problem. We have wasted so much money in utter tripe. I can only think of around 3-4 players I’d keep from our current crop. This is a team that was mostly assembled just to stay in the league. Off the top of my head, Young, Konsa, possibly Mings, Douglas Luiz, Bailey, Ings, Watkins, McGinn and Traore all aren’t good enough for too 10. An argument can be made to include Digne in that list. 

The recruitment has been shite. We have wasted a ton of money YET AGAIN. I just don’t see a future for this club. Same shit different era. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Is it encouraging? How would the rest of the squad react to such dismissal from their manager?

• Like 1

If we have a poor end to this season then I don't think he will get next season, our owners won't give him next season for the sake of it. But I think he will probably do enough to keep his job, despite us currently being on a three game losing run overall he hasn't done bad. The big changes in the summer will come to the playing squad.

Edited by useless

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Roy Keane says the same thing everywhere he goes. It doesn’t automatically make you a good manager 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

to be brutally honest, i dont think any, or at least, a very small number of managers we couldnt attract, could possibly get more out of this team.

Without trying to sound hyperbolic, we have some very overrated players, i think only 5-6 of our senior squad are more than mid table, lower half quality, its really that simple.

I was going to give you a like as I agree that most of our players are mid table players but then I look at Wolves and West Ham and I think the same about them, they just set up well and are coached well. He could get more out of them but I’m happy giving him more time. He will be driven to make this work.

In the summer we really need a clear plan of who we need and get the right player for that position. I’m a bit gutted that some star performers from last season have all had dips in form during the same season. We know that Watkins, Konsa and Martinez can all play better.

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

Least he admits its on him! Fair play
hopefully he hands in his notice in the morning. 

But what he said is balls isn't it. We started the game well but then 2 players slipped and we went 1 down. We then had another good spell but Young sticks the ball the only place Emi couldn't get to it.

Just now, AvonVillain said:

Is it encouraging? How would the rest of the squad react to such dismissal from their manager?

I meant that it’s encouraging about JJ.

As for the rest of the squad, they are not exactly proving him wrong are they.

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I disagree with the first part. Plenty of examples of managers getting consistent hard work and good performances with lesser players than we have.

I agree with the second part though

Just now, useless said:

If we have a poor end to this season then I don't think he will get next season, our owners won't give him next season for the sake of it. But I think he will probably do enough to keep his job.

Ive always thought he would get next season.

But you can see a scenario now where he doesn't.

1 minute ago, useless said:

If we have a poor end to this season then I don't think he will get next season, our owners won't give him next season for the sake of it. But I think he will probably do enough to keep his job.

He will definitely get (and should get) next season. Purslow’s entire reputation at the club depends on it.

The squad needs clearing out yet again. Please, please don’t waste money on shite. 

Â