Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We need a DM there is no doubt. But Gerrard needs to be getting 100% out of the players he has before thinking of replacing them. Newcastle should have been a fairly straight forward win and we couldn't even manage that, not because we have poor players, it was because more than half the team didn't perform.

We will see how we do against Watford, cause I can see a few changes for that one. If we can't manage a win there, we may as well give up.

Yep, Watford are the worst team in the league so if Gerrard can't manage us to a win then it's time to seriously worry

• Like 2

This is the first time I have been disappointed with Gerrard, and what I'm disappointed with is his reaction towards the end of the game. We were 1-0 down and were chasing a goal, a manager should at that point stand by the side line and enourage the players, barking orders. What did he do? He sat/half layed down in the chair with a grumpy face like a 5 year old who didn't get candy before dinner. I also don't agree with him throwing the players under the bus after the game, first of all I think the performance wasn't that bad, it was ok/below par but we deserved a point at least. And if the players were that bad, well then it's partly on him to prepare and motivate them. And if the first half was so dire, why didn't you make any changes at half time then? Why not a tactical tweak or something?

Still of course behind him and I hope he will learn, think he has done almost everything right so far, but this wasn't good in my book.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, picicata said:

Yep, Watford are the worst team in the league so if Gerrard can't manage us to a win then it's time to seriously worry

Yes and no, because football isn't this simple 

It's like thinking that, because we drew with Leeds then they got battered, that they are tripe and 3 points against them was a given. ( Which was used as an argument )

Didn't we beat Everton as well though, the team who beat Leeds?

I get the general concept and understand it, but I always tell people that Football isn't this straightforward, ever.

There are so many variables, especially given the clangers some of.our players are capable of.

We could be winning and then concede for a draw or loss due to these.

Personally, I take more heart from performances and competence for now.

FYI, I say the same things to neutral fans of.other teams as well, so this ain't just a bias thing.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's like thinking that, because we drew with Leeds then they got battered, that they are tripe and 3 points against them was a given. ( Which was used as an argument )

I get the general concept and understand it, but I always tell people that Football isn't this straightforward, ever.

There are so many variables, especially given the clangers some of.our players are capable of.

FYI, I say the same things to neutral fans of.other teams as well, so this ain't just a bias thing.

In fairness I did over simplify, however Watford are the worst team in the league . Should we lose and/or perform badly following on from recent results and performances then it will start looking like a pattern rather than just one of those things that happens sometimes.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is all well and good but after the last couple of months results we aren’t just looking at individual games we are seeing a pattern over the course of a number of games.  If looking at an individual game I agree with you but when you look at a group of games and it’s constantly happening, then it’s a different matter.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, picicata said:

In fairness I did over simplify, however Watford are the worst team in the league . Should we lose and/or perform badly following on from recent results and performances then it will start looking like a pattern rather than just one of those things that happens sometimes.

I should’ve waited, you put it better than I did.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

This is all well and good but after the last couple of months results we aren’t just looking at individual games we are seeing a pattern over the course of a number of games.  If looking at an individual game I agree with you but when you look at a group of games and it’s constantly happening, then it’s a different matter.

Well, I'm hoping for his and our sake, we get this " reaction " we've been waiting for.

We've been asking for a consistent 90 minute performance for a while, and last match, was the first time we actually got one 😂

Consistently garbage for the full outing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well, I'm hoping for his and our sake, we get this " reaction " we've been waiting for.

We've been asking for a consistent 90 minute performance for a while, and last match, was the first time we actually got one 😂

Consistently garbage for the full outing.

Sadly true. Hopefully Watford will turn things around. I honestly cant think of a better premier league game to do so.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In 1982 The Champions of Europe lost to SHA, clear evidence to a lot of SHA fans that they were the best team in Europe. As you rightly say football isn’t like that. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Heard from someone close to club....so im taking it with a pinch of salt, but I believe it

Apparently it went off in the dressing room at Newcastle at half time.

A lot of finger pointing by the players and management, bit of unrest at the moment, which might explain why we have been poor past few games.

SG knows some players are not good enough, hence a lot of the youth have been brought in to have a look at, some 'senior' players not pulling their weight.

In house game yesterday...mixed the squad up....experience and kids....bailey was the standout.

Dont shoot the messenger 

This is not the time to shoot the messenger. True or not things should have got heated both at halt time and full time: plus even more at Bodymoor this week. Some of the players are not good enough, nor ever will be, and they see changes coming to their place in the club. 
I simply don’t buy the “manager’s lost the dressing room” type of comment. Remember our home performance against Wolves - two up with not long to go but we end up losing 2:3 ! Was this all Smith’s fault? No, it was down to defenders who crumble under pressure and a midfield three not equipped to give defensive cover. Inadequate players must be replaced then we will see how good - or bad - Gerrard is. No point waiting to see the current players at 100% because for some that is still not good enough and, in any case, they cannot perform at that level every week.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sorry JV but no. The only logical reaction is to go mental and demand we rip everything up every 5 minutes when things don't pan out the way we hoped. 

Spoiler

In all seriousness, yes, exactly. I think that the modern world's ability to instantly gratify in many areas doesn't mix well with football. Things take time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is it just me or does it feel like things are pretty close to completely falling apart already? Something about the players doesn't look right to me. I never really had this feeling about Smith.

This isn't a Smith vs Gerrard comment cos i'm fully in the "Gerrard in" camp. It's just a mere observation. Something about the body language of the players doesn't seem right. 

Maybe the loss and performance against Newcastle is skewing my opinion, but we really need something from the next game. 

16 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Is it just me or does it feel like things are pretty close to completely falling apart already? Something about the players doesn't look right to me. I never really had this feeling about Smith.

This isn't a Smith vs Gerrard comment cos i'm fully in the "Gerrard in" camp. It's just a mere observation. Something about the body language of the players doesn't seem right. 

Maybe the loss and performance against Newcastle is skewing my opinion, but we really need something from the next game. 

Managers body language was pretty appalling as well. I think maybe the players dont feel he is up to the task and Gerrard is probably expecting too much from his players 

1 hour ago, Bazmonkey said:

Heard from someone close to club....so im taking it with a pinch of salt, but I believe it

Apparently it went off in the dressing room at Newcastle at half time.

A lot of finger pointing by the players and management, bit of unrest at the moment, which might explain why we have been poor past few games.

SG knows some players are not good enough, hence a lot of the youth have been brought in to have a look at, some 'senior' players not pulling their weight.

In house game yesterday...mixed the squad up....experience and kids....bailey was the standout.

Dont shoot the messenger 

Doesn't bode well if this is true, has SG lost the dressing room already?

40 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

It was really troubling.

Gerrard speaks so well I'd be surprised if the players would turn on him or anything like that. I think he'd be pretty constructive if he was criticising performances. Certainly during the week/training.

It's all on this formation for me. I don't even think it's worth putting entirely in the bin. When we sit right in playing it we're hard to score against! Be useful for hanging onto a lead.

Wanting full-backs to play like wingers, instead of just playing wingers is weird.

The short range passing from keeper into midfield is really really bad, but it was plenty of times under Smith as well.

Mentioned it before and I still don't expect it at all, but I think 3421 is worth a go. He gets his two 10s. He gets his full-backs miles up the pitch. He gets his one striker. Chelsea and Brighton play it regularly and it's a shape I really like. I'd have this in the middle and whatever you fancy around it...

Chambers  Hause      Mings

Cash      Sanson      Luiz       Digne

Edited by Tomaszk

Â