Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Spot on mate! 👏

The system seems to be a big problem. 

Also, I question what the big wages of Coutinho and Digne, together with the treatment for Targett, has done to morale. Players would've understood Grealish being on big money seeing as he'd been here longer and was captain etc. If Digne has come in on more money than anyone else I can imagine the players being peed off with that. 

The arrival of Ings seems to have unhinged Watkins too. He must be on big dough and probably another reason for Watkins' not playing like he did last season. 

As far as Gerrard is concerned, today was as dire as anything seen this season. People need to remember that Smith didn't have last season's back five available to him this season. Gerrard did from day one. We've seen some good bits of football but we have not played one game this season where we played well for the whole game. 

He needs to abandon this style of play whereby he's asking McGinn, Luiz and Ramsey to play as defensive cover for the full backs. It's killing our midfield play. 

Spot on.  

20 minutes ago, lexicon said:

They were when I posted!

Leicester haven't had an upheaval or big change to deal with and you'd think that if Brodgers was decent, he'd have them comfortably higher than us at least.

I know, I was just being a douche.

In terms of their position, I do think they are really missing Fofana this season. Will be interesting to see how they do without Tielemans.

Let's just hope that Gerrard can put his stamp on this team so that this is worst we will ever be under him.

People seem to forget just how good these players were prior to last year's Covid break. 

They're not beyond redemption, Gerrard's job is to get more from them... I think given his reputation and history, there are question marks over his ability to do it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Gerrard really needs to show he's capable first. The way we're performing with the players we've got, is frankly embarrassing. 

He's on a long contract and is highly rated by the board. He'll be here next season barring an absolute disaster. 

5 minutes ago, Dale said:

People seem to forget just how good these players were prior to last year's Covid break. 

They're not beyond redemption, Gerrard's job is to get more from them... I think given his reputation and history, there are question marks over his ability to do it. 

They're inconsistent. They were with Smith and the same with Gerrard. I'm not sure why there are 'question marks' over his ability?

Ultimately I am probably guilty of overrating our current players, but maybe others are right and they all do need replacing. I'll be interested to see what the summer brings. 

This was our first defeat in four, we only won one of the previous three but that win was a decent win away to Everton and one of the draws was a good comeback against Man Utd, a team that had only lost one of the last eight when we played them and have now only lost one in eleven in the league, Leeds result as I say was nowhere near as bad as some make out, they're just four points behind us having played most of the season with half their squad missing.

Today was an awful performance and have to make sure that today's display doesn't become a trend, but over all we've done well with Gerrard as manager, we're still nineth based on games since he became manager, presuming the West Ham result stays as it is we will have taken the same amount of points as them in that time with them having played two more games than us. We've also got a positive goal difference based on games since Gerrard came in.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

You are obviously very sure that he will fix this, what do you base this on and how do you believe he will fix it?

Here is your opportunity to take us whitney entitled brats to school. Let's hear your superior thoughts.

I didnt say that. But I do think Gerrard is the man for the job and I havent changed my opinion. You can keep saying 1 win in 7 but that doesnt tell the whole story but I know you'll respond with "results are all the matters" so we'll leave that there.

He's gotten us out of relegation trouble, he's made some very good signings and we have played very well at times. Yes short bursts and it hasnt come together for 90 minutes yet but give it time. If we start next season poorly then there will be no excuses.

But it says a lot that just saying it's not as bad as some people are making out is in someway "polishing a turd" is ludicrous.

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

1) Targett wasn't playing today

2) Digne is much better than him

1) He’s still a part of their recent good form and helped them get a victory the other day. Their form is better than ours currently. 

2) He’s part of a shocking defence that is leaking goals. Might be a better player from an individual perspective but, he hasn’t changed our fortunes in terms of us winning matches. 

Prediction. 

We throw sit loads of money at the team again. Very little will improve. We have wasted so much money on players that are weak physically mentally and technically.  Realistically for the investment being made we should be better than this. That's not necessarily a dig at Gerrard just the club overall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He sounds very very pissed off from the post mafch. Rightly so. They let him down badly.

Mcginn luiz watkins cash all garbage today.

He's very eloquent with the media and fans, always says the right thing, but I've yet to see the proper response from the players. I think he's too fond of the "Liverpool way", which frankly we're not yet ready for. 

I've been impressed with Gerrard overall.

Today was really poor but there has been more good than bad since he came in. 

It will be both interesting and important to see how we bounce back next week. 

I doubt we will be seeing Luiz or Watkins out there from the start, and I wouldn't be surprised if Bailey got a run out too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

1) He’s still a part of their recent good form and helped them get a victory the other day. Their form is better than ours currently. 

2) He’s part of a shocking defence that is leaking goals. Might be a better player from an individual perspective but, he hasn’t changed our fortunes in terms of us winning matches. 

1) He's played one game.

2) Digne is still a massive step up. We wouldn't have done better with Targett. Digne was key in the Everton win. He's been a good buy. One man can't do it all though. 

28 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Losing to a Newcastle side this season is not acceptable, whichever way you look at it. There is absolutely no scenario where losing isn’t a disaster. If all of the players and coaching staff are not furious with this result then I want them out the club. 

Not at all they are a team fighting for survival. these games are never easy. Yes performance wasnt acceptable I agree. 

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

No one will want to come. Especially if we go down. 

Why on earth do you think we will go down? You must be the only fan on this forum who seriously thinks that? 

Â