Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

And both games resulted in zero points. 

You don't get bonus points for keeping the score down. A loss is a loss. The outcome is the same. 

How do you think the Leeds players feel today? Do you think they feel the same way we did after playing City? The outcome for the players definitely isn’t the same 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

To be fair there were posters talking about his bad challenges as a player as reasons for not wanting him 

Yeah a few, there are always a few outsiders but on the whole most were about his record and inexperience.

He’s doing so well now, which is fantastic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cb_82 said:

How is it way off the mark? Your talking like we have pulled a manager from the Birmingham & District leagues to manage us 

I just cant buy into the ''he hasn't managed in the prem'' - He played in it for 20 years as well as in international club and country comps learning from the very best, hes admitted that especially in the later part of his career that he really did become a student of the game in terms of learning from them. Then add to this he has been in European competition for Rangers progressing each year to decent stages playing teams of Prem or better than prem teams level and having success.

The likes of Fonseca & the gang - Haven't managed in the ''prem'' - Even Ten Hag - Hasn't managed in the prem and the Dutch league is not far off as one sided as the SPL!!

This prem experience/hasn't managed in the league is Paul Merson standard analysis 

To jump into this discussion, isn't what you say a bit 'confirmation biasy'?

There's nothing wrong with questioning whether Gerrard was the right choice. And there was nothing wrong with questioning his experience. And if people didn't appreciate that his job at Rangers was madly impressive and the sign of a true managerial master, then that's not a massive surprise either. Just because it looks good now doesn't mean anyone was mad to wonder if it would be the right appointment.

You can pick out a few examples of where it went right, but there are plenty of examples the other way too. For me, I was really skeptical, but I've been really impressed. Now with hindsight, it all seems so obvious. But yeah, maybe some people have a better appreciation of his success in Scotland.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

That's a nice war cry and you'll get plenty of likes but it doesnt change the fact that the results and performances under Smith were terrible in the last calendar year up to his sacking. There is no "credit in the bank" when it comes to relegation form. We had to be ruthless and we were, somewhat surprisingly.

I agree lots of fans were sceptical about Gerrard but most of that was nothing to do with his management record and purely to do with him and who he played for, both of which were ridiculous. I wasnt "gloating" but his flying start makes fans of both opinions look equally ridiculous.

Sorry, but that is rubbish. Certainly for me it was nothing to do with who he is and who he played for. We had Terry FFS and we learned to love him. It was ENTIRELY about his track record being unproven at this level - Yes he had a decent record at Rangers but not stellar and not necessarily something that would translate to success or suitability in the prem. The concern was whether he would be better than Smith. On the evidence at hand, it looked like a sideways step - I was disappointed in Smith's sacking as I felt he deserved more time, but optimistic because surely this meant a top manager would be coming in - hence the nervousness about an unproven (at this level) Steven Gerrard appearing. As it happens, it seems to have been an inspired choice and he is proving himself. Long may it continue.

To say that the scepticism was all about him and not his managerial experience is utterly wrong.

• Like 1

Was a nice touch last night with the away fans chanting Dean Smiths name, he left us with a club in a reasonable state and an Academy that Gerrard can take to another level as we are starting to see. We have seen many promising kids come through over the years but they have faded and lost their way, i think we are in a better place to bring these kids on and reap the reward we saw last night.

4 minutes ago, GazRFC said:

How are you lads finding Gerrard so far? 3 wins out of 5 and only narrow 1-0 losses to Liverpool and city… seems like a good start for him from the outside looking in 

Its actually 4 from 6. 

He’s doing very well. The shape of the team is good, His use of the squad and substitutions have been excellent. Very promising 

4 minutes ago, GazRFC said:

How are you lads finding Gerrard so far? 3 wins out of 5 and only narrow 1-0 losses to Liverpool and city… seems like a good start for him from the outside looking in 

Was sceptical but excited by the appointment. Then from the first press conference he’s conducted himself very well, the coaching staff seem to be doing a great job as well. I felt like our squad was severely underperforming and they’ve done something to get the best out of every player really. So much better defensively and some of our play last night was a treat to watch, it’s looking really promising so far 

• Like 1

I think most people in England think that the standard of football in Scotland is poor. Having lived up here for over 4 years now I can confirm that this isn’t an unreasonable conclusion. However the job of managing an old firm team shouldn’t be dismissed quite so lightly. For those two clubs the pressure to succeed and the goldfish bowl nature of the media circus is every bit as intense as the PL in England. 

SG’s playing career at Liverpool under some very good managers is also extremely valuable experience. I don’t think we can underestimate the value of a British appointment either. Knowing the culture and not having to uproot family is a major plus. He even said that moving closer to home was a factor in his decision to come to us. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GazRFC said:

Very good start. Not much ambition shown against Liverpool, which was more disappointing considering how well we'd played against Man City a few days before. Every other performance has been good and we've done what we needed to.

Got us very compact and organised in midfield. Fullbacks are looking good flying up the pitch. For me there's still a way to go until the football is attractive as it has been at its' best over the past few years, but as long as we keep winning no one is going to care. Hopefully drops Ashley Young to the bench sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Very good start. Not much ambition shown against Liverpool, which was more disappointing considering how well we'd played against Man City a few days before. Every other performance has been good and we've done what we needed to.

Got us very compact and organised in midfield. Fullbacks are looking good flying up the pitch. For me there's still a way to go until the football is attractive as it has been at its' best over the past few years, but as long as we keep winning no one is going to care. Hopefully drops Ashley Young to the bench sooner rather than later.

Thought as much mate, looking good for a top half finish at the very least at the moment. A lot of our fans had a bit of a grudge on him leaving but we’ve actually benefitted massively with Gio Bronckhorst and his team. In the 10 games before his departure we had conceded the first goal in 7 out of 10 games whereas in Gios first 6 games we’ve won 5 and drawn 1and that was away to Lyon in a game we were leading 1-0 until late on. 5 league wins in a row including away wins at hearts, Livingston and hibs. Notoriously hard places for us in the past. It’s looking good for both sides!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think most people in England think that the standard of football in Scotland is poor. Having lived up here for over 4 years now I can confirm that this isn’t an unreasonable conclusion. However the job of managing an old firm team shouldn’t be dismissed quite so lightly. For those two clubs the pressure to succeed and the goldfish bowl nature of the media circus is every bit as intense as the PL in England. 

SG’s playing career at Liverpool under some very good managers is also extremely valuable experience. I don’t think we can underestimate the value of a British appointment either. Knowing the culture and not having to uproot family is a major plus. He even said that moving closer to home was a factor in his decision to come to us. 

Personally don’t think the standard of the league is important in a coaches career, it’s about proving yourself in that league, which opens better opportunities. 

Gerrard won the league in Scotland and had them competitive in Europe, he really couldn’t do much more. There’s a few current PL coaches who maybe couldn’t have achieved what Gerrard did with Rangers.

If you have the tools and are prepared to work hard, you can be successful, no matter the standard of the league.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mantis said:

One of the biggest improvements for me is the composure on the ball. We regularly do one-touch passes and play it out calmly from the back (even while being pressed) which we simply didn't do before.

It definitely needs a lot of work but you can see how he wants us to play.

1 hour ago, GazRFC said:

Thought as much mate, looking good for a top half finish at the very least at the moment. A lot of our fans had a bit of a grudge on him leaving but we’ve actually benefitted massively with Gio Bronckhorst and his team. In the 10 games before his departure we had conceded the first goal in 7 out of 10 games whereas in Gios first 6 games we’ve won 5 and drawn 1and that was away to Lyon in a game we were leading 1-0 until late on. 5 league wins in a row including away wins at hearts, Livingston and hibs. Notoriously hard places for us in the past. It’s looking good for both sides!

Would seem we have both benefitted, which is always the ideal scenario!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rolta said:

To jump into this discussion, isn't what you say a bit 'confirmation biasy'?

There's nothing wrong with questioning whether Gerrard was the right choice. And there was nothing wrong with questioning his experience. And if people didn't appreciate that his job at Rangers was madly impressive and the sign of a true managerial master, then that's not a massive surprise either. Just because it looks good now doesn't mean anyone was mad to wonder if it would be the right appointment.

You can pick out a few examples of where it went right, but there are plenty of examples the other way too. For me, I was really skeptical, but I've been really impressed. Now with hindsight, it all seems so obvious. But yeah, maybe some people have a better appreciation of his success in Scotland.

No issue questioning Gerrards experience but surely it has to be balanced and you cant totally dismiss his playing career like it never happened or just trot out the SPL is a pub league as Rangers are a massive club with a pressure & expectation to win every week

Â