Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

My body is on the train, my heart isn’t yet, my head isn’t, my hope is, my excitement is and my love for Villa is dragging me along.  I got more positives from loss to Man City than the wins because I could see more positives for the future.  I think i want to get past the honeymoon phase because that always clouds things and see the team playing then over a good bunch of games before my heart and head make an assessment.

Fair Enough.

I wanted to get in the 1st class early, to ensure my seat.😀

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Perfect timing to find you.

Currently listening to the Post Match Pint. ( with Dan Bardell etc. )

Apparently Gerrard quite likes Davis and wanted him at Rangers.

Actually not joking this time. lol

Gerrard Out!

GTFO 😂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

based on what?

based on the fact the improvement we have seen already especially in midfield. Players know their roles better. Smith had time to identify the problem but never did.  

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

based on the fact the improvement we have seen already especially in midfield. Players know their roles better. Smith had time to identify the problem but never did.  

It's a bit early to say this. Based on the previous 5 games yes. Based on last season or the season prior, it's a bit soon. 

I believe Gerrard has the potential to be a much better manager than Smith and have that higher ceiling. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Solskjaer went into United and won his first 8 games in a row. Does that mean he is a better manager than Mourinho?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Solskjaer went into United and won his first 8 games in a row. Does that mean he is a better manager than Mourinho?

You’d have thought we’d have learnt not to get too excited with new managers after the Sherwood effect. I think we’re in good hands though.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You’d have thought we’d have learnt not to get too excited with new managers after the Sherwood effect. I think we’re in good hands though.  

So far the start has been bright but its just that at the moment. Saying he is better than other managers is very OTT at the moment

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

So far the start has been bright but its just that at the moment. Saying he is better than other managers is very OTT at the moment

Already better than Eric Black at least :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Perfect timing to find you.

Currently listening to the Post Match Pint. ( with Dan Bardell etc. )

Apparently Gerrard quite likes Davis and wanted him at Rangers.

Actually not joking this time. lol

Quite believable but the standard of that league is similar to lower championship/league 1. Most of those clubs would probably quite like Davis as well.

I dont think that Gerard thinking Davis is good enough for Rangers means that Gerard thinks hes good enough for Villa.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Quite believable but the standard of that league is similar to lower championship/league 1. Most of those clubs would probably quite like Davis as well.

I dont think that Gerard thinking Davis is good enough for Rangers means that Gerard thinks hes good enough for Villa.

He’s probably come in thinking he could hold the ball up and bring our other forwards into play, hence why he was on the bench for the first game. Now he’s seen Ollie up close and realises he can do just that, like how he did against city.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hippo said:

Agreed 

It's been forgotten how much we were creaming ourselves after a narrow defeat against Chelsea.

Stevie G has passed the first test in that he won games that imo we wouldn't have won without changing head coach.

Next steps are to keep it going and tweak the squad with outgoings and replacements.

Surely the next task for Gerrard is to implement his style and tactics ahead of transfers?

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Surely the next task for Gerrard is to implement his style and tactics ahead of transfers?

Mixture of both isn’t it really. Another four (busy) weeks won’t give him much training ground time to get everything across especially with the Xmas game schedule plus he’ll already have ideas of who he wants to bring in.  Obviously the major changes are likely to be in the summer and you’d hope his playing style is fully bedded in by then although a full preseason then will help that.

Just now, nick76 said:

Mixture of both isn’t it really. Another four (busy) weeks won’t give him much training ground time to get everything across especially with the Xmas game schedule plus he’ll already have ideas of who he wants to bring in.  Obviously the major changes are likely to be in the summer and you’d hope his playing style is fully bedded in by then although a full preseason then will help that.

The nature of having scheduled transfer windows forces clubs to do business at a time that may not necessarily suit them. But I would be against lots of transfers before the players have had a chance to prove their worth in the system that the manager wants to play. Nakamba is the prime example of this. Before Gerrard, the general consensus of Nakamba was that he was a Championship standard player. But many think he was MOTM or closely running for MOTM for each of our games. And just about everyone wanted him to start against City. Offloading players before they have had a fair crack at the job can be very costly and can be something the club goes on to regret

Â