Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Aside from the interview I also liked the video of Gerrard's first training session.

A air of confidence as he walked out, talking to the players and getting involved with the drills.

His experience, philosophy and focus hopefully will improve the players and everyone should have a spring in their step.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Really liked the interview, shows determination to get success and I doubt he will be touching the Liverpool plaque like Houllier did when we face Liverpool. Lets hope the players buy into him, I'm guessing most will.

The thing is, would you expect Jack to snub us when he comes back? not a chance.....SG has been at Liverpool all his life, he grew up there......some of us need to grow up.....He is here to helps us win games, thats the professional he is.

when he goes to Liverpool and reacts to the crowd, I would expect him to......then get us 3 points.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

you're fun...he would probably walk.

Next five are Brighton, Palace, Man City, Leicester and Liverpool…it’s not inconceivable is it given our current form.

Smith may have gone but it’s still the same bunch of players that are one of the worst performing teams of 2021. Yes Smith gets the blame for that and did by losing his job but still the same players there that helped that, they aren’t suddenly going to be great.

Edited by nick76

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Hmmm tell that to a lot on here during the Smith time.  If they can support 100% during games and question off game, surely I can have the same thing of being able to do the same if I’m not sure for Gerrard?

It's entirely different asking people who have seen enough of someone's tenure after 3 years in the job to continue to support the manager versus supporting a brand new boss before a ball has even been kicked. I think you know that too.

If after 10 games we're no better off in the table then I'm sure the majority on here will be questioning the appointment and you'll be in good company. Depending on the quality of football we've played, I might even be one of them. Equally we might be 6-7 places better off in the league and starting to push for top 8 again and Villa Park will be singing his name.

Either way, I'm sure many have their doubts, but openly refusing to lend your support to a new manager before even his first game in charge just seems completely and utterly daft to me.

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I am sure as sure can be, with this appointment and I am looking forward to the improvements

but I hope we don't lose our ability ( on here) to be constructive, if some things are not right....thats what debate is all about.

No manager is perfect, and we shouldn't think they are.

Oh don’t you worry about that mate 😆

The training video was quite encouraging too.

I’m just looking forward with optimism now, what’s done is done. Let’s have a real go at these next few games and show what we’re made of. Need to get points on the board and climb that table.

Very impressed with his interview. He's very serious and looks like the real deal. None of those empty platitudes you hear from the likes of Lampard or Arteta or Ole. His words are very measured. Hope it all clicks for him. One thing I like is that his style doesn't seem too drastically different from Smith's. Plays a 4-3-3, on the front foot. I think where he'll differ the most is as he said, out of possession, winning the ball back. I would love to see a high-pressing Villa team.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Neither Doulas Luiz or Sanson in the training video, Nakamba injured his groin on international duty. Baptism of fire for him on Saturday.

didn't see traore either.

good to see trez though

10 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Have I missed the link of the AVFC website to the training video? 

I've seen the interview but must have missed the other.

https://video.avfc.co.uk/video/dm9kJTdDMF9yZGt5c3FzcSU3QyUyRnNlY3Rpb24lM0ZzbHVnJTNEaG9tZSU3Q2hvbWUlMkZoZXJvX2Nhcm91c2Vs?lang=en

*edit, for some reason I can't embed a video anymore....sorry!

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, est1874 said:

It's entirely different asking people who have seen enough of someone's tenure after 3 years in the job to continue to support the manager versus supporting a brand new boss before a ball has even been kicked. I think you know that too.

If after 10 games we're no better off in the table then I'm sure the majority on here will be questioning the appointment and you'll be in good company. Depending on the quality of football we've played, I might even be one of them. Equally we might be 6-7 places better off in the league and starting to push for top 8 again and Villa Park will be singing his name.

Either way, I'm sure many have their doubts, but openly refusing to lend your support to a new manager before even his first game in charge just seems completely and utterly daft to me.

Or lending your fully support to somebody who hasn’t earned it yet is also foolish.  I will back him 100% during games without a shadow of a doubt.  I will probably get to supporting him 100% in between games quite quickly but I can’t go from not wanting him, not thinking he’s ready for our level, that taking such a big risk isnt what we should do to suddenly supporting him 100% totally.  My mind doesn’t work that way, it doesn’t flip flop because somebody else makes a decision.  I will come around eventually, focus on his good points, gain hope and hopefully we win some matches meantime, play better and that will accelerate my turn around.  As I say, I will support 100% during matches, in between that, like many fans it will take time to get over their reservations on his appointment.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Love that video! Press, press, PRESS, PRESS, PRESSSSS!!! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I remember Peter Crouch's anecdote that Gerrard had really high standards as a player. In training he would fizz the ball in at pace to him and if there was any miscontrol he would then give him abuse. Crouch said that it made players try harder to get things right as they wanted to impress him and avoid the stick. Hopefully he keeps the same standards as manager. 

McGinn will be hitting depression then with the abuse he will get as he’s the biggest culprit! 😆

Na, I’m hoping that SG really brings his game on. But I don’t really care who plays from a personal pov, I feel he will only pick the best performing players… they will have to show it in training too to get the chance imo. No going off name/reputation… I hope anyway, still a wait and see approach but I am feeling more enthused.

But I liked what he said about all that matters is what we do “on the grass”…

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I think you can, in a particular way.

I think there is a certain inner confidence all top managers exude, and it manifests itself in their dialogue and expression and the way they speak.

I am not saying Steve is a top manager yet, but I think he exudes self confidence and deliberate in his delivery.

Sure its inevitable, that it comes across, in the first interview, a few defeats and its no so easy.....

but I feel confident, we'll be ok.

Agreed but there's a very fine line to be tread between what you're referring to here and Tim Sherwood territory - where he was utterly convinced that he was the greatest manager there ever was and would be nothing but successful here.

Â