Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

15 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Ok, so I guess that’s where the real difference of opinion then:

Some of us believe that things would have improved under Dean once he had his best players available to him.

Others don’t.

Ok, I think I understand.

Dean on a level playing field would have improved us. But with his coaching team dismantled and an unbalanced squad. I couldn't see a way back for him.

Stevie G has his first pick of coaches and I would be surprised if a decent DM doesn't arrive in January.

13 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

Agreed re Ryan Kent, who I have mentioned before as the only possible player SG may want, then I remembered Patterson. 

Doig has the potential to go on to be a star but he is far from English Premier League standard. We are most definately a selling club ( more so than Rangers, I'll be polite as we are guests on this forum) and he will go sooner rather than later and hope he goes to an English Championship club first to continue his education, especially in how to defend!!

I'd offer El Ghazi in a swap deal for Kent. Would soften their blow, we'd get a useful attacker. Plus El Ghazi could do well north of the border. Everybody wins. 

Just now, hippo said:

Dean on a level playing field would have improved us. But with his coaching team dismantled and an unbalanced squad. I couldn't see a way back for him.

Stevie G has his first pick of coaches and I would be surprised if a decent DM doesn't arrive in January.

We’ll never know…

Sure, SG’s backroom staff was key. Would’ve been very concerned had they not joined him… 

4 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

It will be interesting to watch Gerrard's press conference tomorrow. We will learn more about his motivations and his plans for the team.  Also, I am guessing Purslow will be there to answer questions too, so we will get to know why he felt the change was necessary and what they see in SG. A good press conference can set the mood straight off. 👀

Is it tomorrow or Tuesday?  (Seen both mentioned).

Edited by Jas10

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I guess because it's not just about this season. The owners clearly think Gerrard will do more than Smith in the future. It might turn out wrong but I think that's the feeling. 

Of course. Whether we would’ve picked him, that’s another matter but SG was clearly the clubs first choice and they went and got their man. This is kind of going away from my original bugbear which was more about how attitudes are changing and what wasn’t acceptable 2 weeks ago is now acceptable for a manager who is an ‘upgrade’ on what we had before.

• Like 2

Interested to read "weechops" comments, that as he,  as a Rangers fan ,  SG only has one style of play and just a plan A. ( try watching a Jack Ross side 🤣)  Of course in the SPL every team with the exception of Celtic, sit in against Rangers and look for a set piece or a stroke of luck to get a goal. Therefore most games he has the same conundrum of breaking down a defensive unit. 

The huge challenge for him is going to be a game plan against all the different styles of play and talent he is going to come up against in the English Premier League teams.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

Interested to read "weechops" comments, that as he,  as a Rangers fan , that SG only has one style of play and just a plan A. ( try watching a Jack Ross side 🤣)  Of course in the SPL every team with the exception of Celtic, sit in against Rangers and look for a set piece or a stroke of luck to get a goal. Therefore most games he has the same conundrum of breaking down a defensive unit. 

The huge challenge for him is going to be a game plan against all the different styles of play and talent he is going to come up against in the Premier League teams.

Agreed, but in fairness we have struggled to break teams down who are dug in for as long as I can remember. It would be nice to be able to do that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Will 100 % be a relegation battle this season and we've got Smith to thank for that.

A slight correction. We are currently in a relegation battle, it is not something that will or may come in the future. It is here today

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Where are the 100k a week reports? Anywhere reliable? Similar to transfer fees, it's not my money so I don't care, but why the hell are we paying a rookie manager 100k a week.

There were lots of reports saying 5m a year which give or take a few quid is the guts of 100k a week

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

When you had the transfer window we did, you can’t expect to improve year on year. It was a disaster. 

I don't agree the transfer window was a disaster. If it was a disaster how does that align with the argument that Deano just needs his new players back from injury and they have only had 24 mins on the pitch together. If the window was a disaster then would it have made any difference if the players came back from injury?

• Like 1

Not sure how all of a sudden people would be " happy with 14th ", otherwise, what was the point of the change?

Unless you don't think we couldn't have even gotten 14th with Deano? Or are looking longer term?

Still top 10 - 11th/12th for me.

Although we might have already given up too much ground.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not sure how all of a sudden people would be " happy with 14th ", otherwise, what was the point of the change?

Unless you don't think we could have even gotten 14th with Deano? Or are looking longer term?

Still top 10 - 11th/12th for me.

Although we might have already given up too much ground.

There are 81 points still up for grabs.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm gonna find it more surreal Smith managing Norwich.

Still can't understand why he has jumped in there, seems a little desperate to get back into management.

Money talks. I'd bet he even gets a raise on his Villa wages if he manages to save them from relegation. 

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't agree the transfer window was a disaster. If it was a disaster how does that align with the argument that Deano just needs his new players back from injury and they have only had 24 mins on the pitch together. If the window was a disaster then would it have made any difference if the players came back from injury?

No. Because he couldn’t fit them all onto the pitch at the same time anyway.

Even if he could, our central midfield area is too weak for us to push for anything near Europe. 

So many people are looking for answers to our form that don’t exist. We didn’t address the areas that badly needed addressing in the Summer. On top of that, we lost our best player. It’s really that simple.

IMO, Smith never had a chance. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm gonna find it more surreal Smith managing Norwich.

Still can't understand why he has jumped in there, seems a little desperate to get back into management.

I don’t to be honest.

Maybe he just thinks it’s still early on in the season and with other poor teams around like Burnley, Newcastle and Watford he maybe able to get Norwich on one of his trade mark runs and make it a fighting challenge especially having Krul, Aarons, Gilmour, Cantwell, Rashica and Pukki in the ranks.  I can’t see it but you never know.

33 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

We’ll never know…

Sure, SG’s backroom staff was key. Would’ve been very concerned had they not joined him… 

I’d imagine that would be a condition of his joining us, from his stand point and ours.  Not getting the right team behind the manager has been s problem for us and other teams  teams in the past. Wo knows what glories Remie Garde would have led us to if his backroom staff had come with him.  

Â