Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Many fans saying Villa are taking a gamble with Gerrard etc. I don't think so. Gerrard is taking the biggest gamble. Our owners are not going to let anyone drag this club backwards anytime soon based on the 3 years they've held the reins. Including Steven Gerrard. Gerrard is going to be under serious scrutiny now whereby he wont have the romantic love Smith got, he's going to have to produce asap. His reputation depends on it. 

Simon Jordan on Talkshite just eluded to the same thing. Mentioning how we might just waste time whereby Gerrard is going to have to go head to head with real managers now. Spot on imo. Gerrard is not going to get an easy ride, all eyes will be on him and he is going to need all the help he can get. I hope everyone puts opinions aside to give him this support. I know we will. 

Interesting, Keown mentioned how he felt the VP crowd were the most difficult crowd to please. He acknowledged the support is thing were good but did say we didn't stand for crap. I actually like that comment even though others might be bothered by it.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GazRFC said:

Hi guys, Rangers fan here, joined last night to give you some insight into Gerrard and his team and style of play. 

I gather from here that a lot of you are underwhelmed at this appointment and I suppose understandably so. However I think you will be surprised.

He came to us in 2018 off the back of us being pumped 4-0 and 5-0 in successive weeks from Celtic with our caretaker in charge, we were a riot. 

in his first season, he had us neck and neck with Celtic at the new year and managed to record our first league win over Rodgers Celtic, the first time we had beaten Celtic in the league since we got put down the leagues.

He also qualified through 4 rounds of EL qualifying within his first 2 months in charge, becoming the first team to ever do this. He went on to do this on his second season, third season , Infact he has qualified us for the groups in all 4 seasons he’s been here, beating teams like galatasaray along the way. 

with us, he plays an attacking 4-3-3 formation but one of his weaknesses is his in game management. Often waiting too long to make subs. 

Michael Beale is the brains behind his operation and he will be valuable to you. He is a serious talent. 

There is a danger of being caught up in the “gerrard circus” with the media but it’s good exposure for you guys. Any questions just let me know but I seriously think he will do well with all the money he will have to spend, he worked wonders with us on a serious budget

Thanks for the insight and welcome.  No squabbling with all the Hibbies on here please though!!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

He said that Villa have said that Rangers were a pleasure to deal with, which I’m sure will delight Rangers fans that they were so lovely to us as we took all their staff.

The other candidates weren’t named.

Normally is someone or some company are a pleasure to deal with that means you came away with what you wanted and didn't have to pay too much. I am not sure being a 'pleasure to negotiate with' is necessarily positive attribute to have in business. Something like 'Tough but fair' is more the way to be viewed imo 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GazRFC said:

It’s split mate, I for one am looking forward to a bit of change. He’s left us in a great position and it’s looking like van bronckhorst will be taking over. 

Gerrard had an absolute hard on for Connor goldson the whole time he was here, think he’s only missed like 6 games in 3 years, even when playing badly and he’s not signed a new deal here so I think it’s a stick on that gerrard will bring him to Villa.

Joe aribo, glen kamara and Ryan Kent if I had to pick anyone I think he would be most inclined to try and buy although would cost you a decent wedge, but that’s no problem to you guys is it lol

Did Gerrard develop and improve many players during his time at Rangers? Also were there any youth players who were overlooked who you thought were good enough for the first team? 

Edited by Made In Aston

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Did Gerrard develop and improve many players during his time at Rangers? Also were there any youth players who were overlooked who you thought were good enough for the first team? 

Nathan Patterson is the only one who has broken through but to be fair gerrard has overseen that and don’t a great job managing him. Billy Gilnour was sold under gerrard but he wasn’t here for long at that point. He’s not great with youth truth be told 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GazRFC said:

It’s split mate, I for one am looking forward to a bit of change. He’s left us in a great position and it’s looking like van bronckhorst will be taking over. 

Gerrard had an absolute hard on for Connor goldson the whole time he was here, think he’s only missed like 6 games in 3 years, even when playing badly and he’s not signed a new deal here so I think it’s a stick on that gerrard will bring him to Villa.

Joe aribo, glen kamara and Ryan Kent if I had to pick anyone I think he would be most inclined to try and buy although would cost you a decent wedge, but that’s no problem to you guys is it lol

Cheers pal 👍. I know Connor’s father (very loosely) with him being from Wolverhampton and it’s my understanding that he’s desperate to move back closer to the Midlands , so yes I can also see that move happening. 

4 minutes ago, GazRFC said:

Nathan Patterson is the only one who has broken through but to be fair gerrard has overseen that and don’t a great job managing him. Billy Gilnour was sold under gerrard but he wasn’t here for long at that point. He’s not great with youth truth be told 

Was it because the quality in the academy wasn't there or that Gerrard was under utilising it? I was hoping Gerrard might have a few successes to give me some reassurance about our youth players,as there is some real quality there and deserve a chance.

Even players brought elsewhere improved under Smith, like Konsa and Luiz and was one of his main strengths as a coach. 

30 minutes ago, GazRFC said:

Pretty sure Gilmour was sold before Gerrard arrived…think it was under Caixinha. Not that it really hampers the point on youth development.

I think it’s important to understand context of Gerrard’s time at Rangers and Scottish football in general though. Whilst trying to reassert themselves over Celtic, there would have been more of a reliance on established senior players (like Kent, Roofe, Kamara, etc). In Scottish football, Rangers (and to a greater extent Celtic) tend to either loan their youngsters out to other teams in the league for experience or just buy the best youngsters off the lower tier clubs once they are less raw and have more games under their belt. Developing youth just hasn’t been their main priority as of late. That’s at least my perspective as a Hearts supporter 😄

Edited by LockStockVilla

14 minutes ago, GazRFC said:

Rangers have just had a horrible habit of selling youth players before they even get a chance to progress to the first team. It’s one of the things I hate about us so I don’t think this can be put on to Gerrard.

James Tavernier is his biggest  success story really, James has been with us for 7 years down the leagues etc and Gerrard came in, made him his captain and since then he’s taken his game to a whole new level. Gerrard is a great man-manager.

morelos as well, I think any manager would struggle to keep a leash on him but Gerrard has really done a good job calming him down. 

He certainly will have his “favourites” and you will notice this in time, there will be people who seem undroppable no matter what. 

He will bring a freshness to you though and he won’t allow anyone to bully you or any of your players. He will have you organised and hard to beat 

Thanks for all your honest insights. Much appreciated. Best of luck with the rest of the season. 

8 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Brighton and Palace are tough because they are in form. Norwich-ok, we should win comfortably but if we haven’t picked up any/many points by then, will be high pressure.

I know what you mean but my point still stands that they aren’t what we can think of as the tougher games in the division. Brighton haven’t won for two months.

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Well if he has favourites, doesn’t sub well, in game management isn’t great and doesn’t play enough youth as been described by Gaz there are going to be some very angry fans on here given these were the comments thrown at Smith this calendar year.

If the results are poor whilst all that is happening then yes there will be angry fans.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So is it true the club aren’t doing a press conference until Monday?

Apparently so. I am hoping that is to allow us time to get Beale et al on to the Villa payroll. Once that is done it will remove a huge amount of questions we couldn't answer as we would be still negotiating / sorting out the paperwork. On Monday we can do the big reveal hopefully

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If the results are poor whilst all that is happening then yes there will be angry fans.

Really? Even when we were doing well last year fans were unhappy about those topics…winning softens the angry but while some are critically analysing some are just critical.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Apparently so. I am hoping that is to allow us time to get Beale et al on to the Villa payroll. Once that is done it will remove a huge amount of questions we couldn't answer as we would be still negotiating / sorting out the paperwork. On Monday we can do the big reveal hopefully

I’d imagine they’ll be in Monday meeting the players and taking training and the media stuff will follow.

Â