Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Current squad is underperforming. I think SG will get some good results on the board pretty quickly. 

My guess is that in the summer some of the players we thought were permanent fixtures will leave. Imo that's when we find out what Stevie G is made of.

Completely agree with u. And I am hoping that is the case. It is not good to keep the same group of player. Imo, we need regular change which keeps us fresh and keeps players on their toes

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

On Premier League Today, (paraphrasing) "Breaking news, Steven Gerrard appointed Aston Villa head coach...let's head over to Liverpool now where Simon Crabtree, sat in a room no different to the one we're in, but with a Gerrard shirt hanging behind him has the scoop". Ahh here we go.

Wot you mean they actually mentioned Aston Villa. ?

16 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

All adds to the commercial $$$ and thus how much we can spend on players and wages. 

I don't think it does to be honest. Consider an average prem player is £30m - and our biggest sponsor deal is shirts - which Is don't even think covers £30m (might be wrong)

Our revenue streams are TV money and the back pockets of Nas + Eden's 

20 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i was thinking that.

For better or worse, i have looked at the media tonight (youtube, articles etc), and Villa are literally everywhere, and i see people talking about Villa who i have never seen give us a second look before.

Blimey.

Back page of the Daily Mail with talk of taking us back to Europe. I loathe the paper but that’s serious coverage. 

• Shocked 1

23 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I have never known a day before this one when villa have received such media attention. It’s been incredible. Whatever happens it’s going to be interesting. I think he will be successful and I also think it’s a really exciting appointment. Come on boys. Let’s get behind him unequivocally and enjoy it. UTV.

I've avoided all other coverage apart from here and OS. Looking forward to his welcome interview with Michelle Owen and brushing up on me scouse

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't think it does to be honest. Consider an average prem player is £30m - and our biggest sponsor deal is shirts - which Is don't even think covers £30m (might be wrong)

Globally, people buy shirts because they hear about Villa and see them on TV. SG is putting us in the media. More shirt sales means more money. 

But we make F all from the actual shirt sale. The manufacturer makes this money. We make the money from selling the rights to sell our shirts. With SG we can command a higher fee. Same with all our sponsors. SG will be contracted to represent Villa and advertise all of our sponsors. We can charge more for sponsorship. 

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

11 hours ago, hippo said:

https://www.sportspromedia.com/analysis/premier-league-2020-21-guide-club-sponsor-tv-rights-deals/

Aston Villa

Kit supplier: Kappa, UK£3 million (US$3.72 million) per season, signed 2019, expires 2022

Main sponsor: Cazoo, UK£6 million (US$7.2 million) per season, signed 2020, expires 2022

Sleeve sponsor: LT, value unreported, signed 2020, expires 2021

Training kit partner: N/A (included in Cazoo deal)

Other partners: Luke, Aston University, Heineken, Purity Brewing....

it will take time to filter through but expect a major uplift next round of sponsorship renewal if Gerrard performs. Look at the differences in commercial revenue compared to the Sky 6 plus Leicester & West Ham… 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Perhaps "born winner" is the wrong phrase. "Born competitor" would be more apt. 

Like yourself and many others I have been immersed in football for a long long time, and there are few people that stand out from the crowd in terms of mentality like Steven Gerrard. Every article, autobiography, every documentary and piece of media I have consumed where his name is mentioned has been at pains to make note of this aspect of his personality. He, is according to everyone who has worked with him or even met him in passing, a man who will lay everything he has on the line in order to win. Even if the club he represented for the majority of his career were never quite able to meet those ambitions.

Although he did of course almost single-handedly win them a couple of trophies in his time, including perhaps the most spectacular comeback in modern football history. So yeah, maybe he isn't a serial winner by some standards, but he certainly has 'it'.

I agree, just struggling with VT being a place that celebrates Liverpool's achievements 🤣

Gerrard was a phenomenal player and competitor, no doubt about that.

• Like 2

The media attention for us as a club will die down soon, then sooner rather than later we will just get Martin Tyler doing his usual Top 4 biased bollocks.

”Next for you we’ve got the team that former Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard is currently managing versus Manchester City…and it’s live!!!”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I know it is The Daily Mail  but is a nice read as it is a bit self gratifying as a Villa supporter

Steven Gerrard is perfect for Aston Villa, he gives them more clout and he can be a game-changer... Newcastle missed a trick - he could have been theirs had they been bold

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10192591/Steven-Gerrard-Aston-Villa-perfect-fit-Newcastle-blew-chance-appointing-him.html

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hippo said:

I was on the coach home from Highbury when we won the league title in 1980/81.

All the radio talk was that Liverpool had qualified for Europe for the xxxx year in a row.

I'm not having that. One of the greatest days in our history and you banked that has a memory? 

Edited by sheepyvillian

This seems so surreal to me. Like when players retire in Football Manager and then become managers and you'd used to say "as if that would ever happen".

Not sure what to think. Sounds like he has a good and modern coaching setup but it's definitely a big risk. What I do like is how the club have just got the job done. They've made their mind up and got it done with no drama. We're not a circus club any more.

Just hope it's the right call. As with anyone else in charge of Villa, I'm fully behind him but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous.

• Like 1

Say what you like, but Liverpool have earned the respect they are spoken with . When I was growing up in the seventies they had an aura like I've never seen since. Getting a point at Anfield, in those days, was some achievement. 

How can you not admire that kind of consistent success? 

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Globally, people buy shirts because they hear about Villa and see them on TV. SG is putting us in the media. More shirt sales means more money. 

But we make F all from the actual shirt sale. The manufacturer makes this money. We make the money from selling the rights to sell our shirts. With SG we can command a higher fee. Same with all our sponsors. SG will be contracted to represent Villa and advertise all of our sponsors. We can charge more for sponsorship. 

Classic pub chat, but is it actually true? Teams make sponsorship money because they win things, play in top competitions, and have exciting players. The fact their manager used to be a world class player is neither here nor there, surely.

Losing Grealish was far more important to us from a marketing perspective than swapping Smith for Gerrard.

(Edit: Having said that, I suspect Purslow feels Gerrard, with his name recognition and elite playing career, will be better able to attract and retain the most marketable players, so there could be an indirect benefit. But that will depend also on results. Ultimately players want to win trophies, not reminisce about Istanbul.)

Edited by KentVillan

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Classic pub chat, but is it actually true? Teams make sponsorship money because they win things, play in top competitions, and have exciting players. The fact their manager used to be a world class player is neither here nor there, surely.

Losing Grealish was far more important to us from a marketing perspective than swapping Smith for Gerrard.

Not pub chat whatsoever. How do teams that don't win anything, which are the majority, make money?  Revenue in football is from advertising. It doesn't matter if that is via TV or shirt sales or other commercial sponsorship. The revenue model for a football club is selling advertising based upon the product they supply.

The product we supply has a far better value proposition with Gerrard as Gaffer. This increases revenue. 

Suggesting this is pub talk shows a complete misunderstanding of how football works

• Like 1

Â