The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

As much as I wanted Dean to be the guy to take us ‘back to where we want to be’, perhaps he was only going to be the guy to put the foundations in place for the next guy to take us there.

Whether Gerrard is that guy remains to be seen, but he will get my full support and I hope he gets it from everyone.

I do wish we would stop being so divided as a fan base all the time.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Nobody knows how successful he’ll be at VP. Nobody knows how successful any manager will be, whoever they are. All we can do is give them the best support we’ve got.

Oh I agree and I guess in 12-18 months time I’ll be defending him from some on here and further defending him in 3 years time when we usually sack managers.  Just thought we wouldn’t be taking such a risk at this stage in our journey and we would be pushing boat out for a quality manager who would be less risky and who I believe would be a higher level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoobs said:

Benfica away. Played same way. Benfica score last minute goal to rescue draw. They did have man sent off in first half but Rangers totally dominated. SG sets up his teams to play this way, as you say, mostly against diddy teams but good, experienced teams in Europe as well and generally they dominate at home and hold their own away. 

But how do Benfica play? Because if they are a counter attacking team, the Rangers will obviously dominate, as counter attacking teams generally only press when the ball is in their own half, and invited opponents onto them then try to exploit the space that opens up in the transition. What other example do you have of this. Also they haven't done very well in Europe have they!

5 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

As much as I wanted Dean to be the guy to take us ‘back to where we want to be’, perhaps he was only going to be the guy to put the foundations in place for the next guy to take us there.

Whether Gerrard is that guy remains to be seen, but he will get my full support and I hope he gets it from everyone.

I do wish we would stop being so divided as a fan base all the time.

It's premature to think of anybody as our new Ron Saunders but I do think Dean Smith was our latter day Vic Crowe.

• Like 1

I'd be willing to give Stevie G a try as manager. I haven't seen many managers on here that this forum would actually welcome even if we could pick anyone we wanted (I like the idea of Potter but plenty of people here think he's overrated too), so I take the angry/ disappointed posts here with a grain of salt - I think any candidate would be getting them.

If he does well he'll be off to Liverpool eventually but then we'd have made the right choice to hire him.

I imagine he'll definitely give the players a kick up the backside.

36 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The interesting thing here is it seems very much purslow chasing his man , wasn’t Lange supposed to be the man in that role or is his remit only involving player incomings ? 

But if we get Gerrard in then he will report to Purslow and not Lange. I am sure Lange is involved in the selection discussion but it should be Purslow that appoints him

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

He needs everyone's support. I have my doubts about his credentials as manager, and personally hated him as a player. That must all step aside once he is appointed. 

Villa divided will never succeed. God knows the league doesn't want us to do well, what hope will we have if we are not all in it together?

Best of luck to Steven and the rest of his team!

I know it’s not quite the same, but you only have to look at JT - he’s pretty much Mr Chelsea, but you never felt he gave anything less than 100% and he became part of the club.

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I'm starting to think every manager is like that to some extent.

It’s at least very, very common for managers to have players they trust, who will play when available because they understand their roles and help ‘coach’ the other players tactically on the pitch.