The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

I wonder if there are World Class managers out there we have completely forgotten about, I was going through the former Barcelona coaches list and obviously Luis Enrique stood out, but he is with Spain and then there was Ernesto Valverde who looks like he is currently unemployed.

Edited by Tommo_b

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Same. Couple of things that bother me are that, we already know well in advance that as soon as a better offer comes in, or Liverpool, then he is 100% off. (Providing he is successful with us). I know that can happen with any top manager we get as well, but this so much more blatantly obvious. 

The second thing is that it’s not a ‘big name’ in the management world, yet. I thought we would show some real ambition and get a renowned superstar manager this time round. There’s an element of risk with Gerrard as he is still relatively unproven. 

Who would the renowned superstar be? We can try and show as much ambition as we like, doesn't mean we're getting a top dog.

Just now, Steero113 said:

Erik Ten Hag. 

Anyone on here who doesn't want him would be mad. 

Unobtainable though without throwing a countries' GDP at him. 

No chance sadly. If he'll end up anywhere it would've been United. But with United bafflingly keeping with Ole (for some stupid reason) he'll be going nowhere. 

22 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Is it not just playing better than your opponents and scoring at least one or possibly more goals than them?

Winning is not a skill. It’s the outcome of a process, as unsexy as that sounds. 

How is it that very few of our previous managers haven’t read the play book then? I agree winning is not a skill and of course there’s a process. Like many things in life success is dependant on hard work and a lot of the boring unsexy things. However I think there is often something undefinable that isn’t quite so obvious. That element, that seems a mystery to most of us, that makes good teams better. People often say stuff like, “Good teams win when they play badly.” We generally just lose when we play badly and often when we play well for that matter. 

The likes of Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc generally play well and win 80% of the time. They play less well or even sometimes badly the other 20% of the time but still win 80% of those games too. The plan was never to play badly but they still find a way to win. It’s a mind set and whoever our next manager is, he needs to bring it with him and instil it into the club as quickly as possible. 

7 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Reading almost all the posts on here, there is not one manager that everyone seems to want!

Its time to put the future of Villa in the hands of the owners and trust that they appoint the right man (or woman!) to take us the next step.

Very important that they get this right, if they don't we will go down....I am sure our owners know this and that their investment will be at stake as well as the future of Villa. Get this appointment wrong and we could end up in the backwaters in the lower leagues with teams such as Sheffield Wednesday, Forest etc, former "giants" of the past......

Regards to all

Del

Absolutely this! There’s managers that are realistic and without a job “Favre, Fonseca etc.” Then there’s managers that are within jobs that are either realistic or they just wouldn’t leave their current club “Gerrard, Ralph, Potter” then there’s absolutely no chance suggestions “Mancini, Ten Hag, Simeone”.

So everyone has different opinions based on their realism (and maybe delusion) of who we could actually get. 

I just want someone who will play attractive attacking football and have a defined tactical style of play. Gerrard fits that, although not my first choice, he has done a great job at Rangers (please research if you don’t think so) and so I would be okay with it, even if it’s not as inspiring as some names 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

I wonder if there are World Class managers out there we completely forgotten about, I was going through the former Barcelona coaches list and obviously Luis Enrique stood out, but he is with Spain and then there was Ernesto Valverde who looks like he is currently unemployed.

Valverde recently said he's ready to return to management IIRC.

51 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Not necessarily a good comparison. We have a much better squad now and owners who would back him in the transfer market. Lambert inherited a desperately bad squad and had next to nothing to spend. In retrospect it’s a miracle he kept us in the  PL as long as he did.

Yep, I agree. 

Lambert was fighting Tyson while Lerner was holding his arms behind his back. My point was about being wary of one club wonders.

In comparison though, Lambert was doing well at a struggling club ( Norwich, not Villa) in the Premier League, while Gerrard has a bit more of a stroll in a two bob league with only two teams in it.

After Villa though, Lambert never really got his mojo back.

4 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Same. Couple of things that bother me are that, we already know well in advance that as soon as a better offer comes in (Liverpool), then he is 100% off. (Providing he is successful with us). I know that can happen with any top manager we get as well, but this is so much more blatantly obvious. 

The second thing is that it’s not a ‘big name’ in the management world, yet. I thought we would show some real ambition and get a renowned superstar manager this time round. There’s an element of risk with Gerrard as he is still relatively unproven. 

That’s the thing, there won’t be many better offers then the Villa job, and if he does well then the only job he would leave us for would be Liverpool, which let’s be honest, who ever we appoint would probably leave us for the Liverpool job regardless if they ever played for them or not. 

• Like 1

I don’t think Gerrard is the answer, hope it’s someone else. But I don’t get the logic of not wanting him here because he’d just be gone to Liverpool in 2-3 years. What?! That would be fantastic, means he’d done a brilliant job here

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

How is it that very few of our previous managers haven’t read the play book then? I agree winning is not a skill and of course there’s a process. Like many things in life success is dependant on hard work and a lot of the boring unsexy things. However I think there is often something undefinable that isn’t quite so obvious. That element, that seems a mystery to most of us, that makes good teams better. People often say stuff like, “Good teams win when they play badly.” We generally just lose when we play badly and often when we play well for that matter. 

The likes of Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc generally play well and win 80% of the time. They play less well or even sometimes badly the other 20% of the time but still win 80% of those games too. The plan was never to play badly but they still find a way to win. It’s a mind set and whoever our next manager is, he needs to bring it with him and instil it into the club as quickly as possible. 

Some interesting points. I'd mainly add that it's easy for us as fans to talk about systems, but probably much harder to implement. Which is why managers earn big bucks. I appreciate what you mean about the indefinable, but the closest thing I can get to rationalising it is that sometimes you get the right man in the right role at the right time. Unless all three are right, you don't get this....magic. For me Gerrard is (possibly) right man, right role, wrong time. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The point was people weren’t bothered about a lack of achievements by Smith but are seemingly about Gerrrard. It isn’t about the clubs they are at or where we are, it appears that it is more about if people like the manager.

I think that's a bit reductive. There were worries about results at the time he was mooted; However the benefits he offered overcame it. He just fit.

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I think that's a bit reductive. There were worries about results at the time he was mooted; However the benefits he offered overcame it. He just fit.

Plus we'd kind of hit rock bottom at the time. We have more to lose this time around. 

If SG does end up at Villa, I am going to speculate that he will bring 2 players. Kent, who is clearly an Premier League player and Glenn Kamara. I have heard Villa fans saying it is too easy for teams to play between the lines against them. This guy is a wall at times. That is his job. That’s what he does. Was going to say Tavernier too as his goals and assists figures are staggering but with Cash now a Polish internationalist, maybe not. Exciting times. 

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m struggling to understand how it got so bad in 2021 for Smith after such a great start. It can’t all be down to Grealish surely?  Are our players just shit but over achieved for 2-3 months?

They are far from shit players.