The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Most managers, if not all, wouldn't think twice if Liverpool came in for them, even Smith would have probably left if he had a chance to manage a team like Liverpool. But if it ever comes to that it will mean we will have been very succesful, probably more succesful than we've been for decades.

57 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Ironically that happened to be against us and i have thought this too but it was once and they grabbed a couple goals at least but this guy got 9-0 scorelines twice! Haha im not convinced 

Trying to argue that 7-2 is a better loss than 9-0 is futile. They are both horrendous results

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Lampard having one unsuccessful promotion campaign at Derby didn’t prevent the Chelsea call.

Without the transfer ban he wouldn’t have got the job he was purely an appointment to keep the fans happy during a “difficult “period 

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

But yet you've said you don't know a lot about him? And if he had already moved on to a bigger club than Southampton, chances are we'd have no chance of getting him.

Yeah but, If he was really that special everybody would be crying out for him. I just see people crying that we may be in for him. 

I know what I see...And I see a middling manager, regardless of funds. Southampton get tonked annually by everyone. And as crap as we were the other day, They were also garbage second half and lucky we were so crap. He just doesn't feel like the right fit to me. Nothing against him personally. 

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

His results v Bruce or style of play are utterly irrelevant to the point I was making.

Managers are rated on more than trophies. Play style, man management, player improvement all come to mind. Dean ticked all of those boxes during his time at Brentford. 

Everytime Bruce lined up against Dean in the championship it was obvious how much better Brentford were coached. How they were more organized and encouraged to attack and out score the opposition and not just try for a 1-0 snore fest. 

The only positive I've heard about Steven is how he walked a two club league. Nothing else. You would hope an ambitious club like Villa could do better. 

54 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Sacking Smith and hiring Gerrard would be like leaving your wife for the whore who lives above the kebab shop.

But if the whore is better in bed then happy days. Football is not about having a longterm loving relationship it is about gratification and if the whore provides that then go for it

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

Yeah but, If he was really that special everybody would be crying out for him. I just see people crying that we may be in for him. 

I know what I see...And I see a middling manager, regardless of funds. Southampton get tonked annually by everyone. And as crap as we were the other day, They were also garbage second half and lucky we were so crap. He just doesn't feel like the right fit to me. Nothing against him personally. 

Fair enough. Hate to say it though but there's no way we're attracting a manager that everybody's crying out for.

Edited by Tom13

14 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Did he? Experience, yes he had a few years on Gerrard I'll give you that. He finished 9th, 10th and 9th in the Championship with Brentford and he never got close to promotion with Walsall. 

I don't see a great deal of difference between Smith and Gerrard in terms of managerial experience to be honest. Smith had more years under his belt but Gerrard has managed in Europe and won a trophy, again not saying he is the right man but I don't recall people making similar comments re Smith.

a

He's won fewer trophies in Scotland than the St Johnstone manager to be fair. 

Just now, Rightdm00 said:

Managers are rated on more than trophies. Play style, man management, player improvement all come to mind. Dean ticked all of those boxes during his time at Brentford. 

Everytime Bruce lined up against Dean in the championship it was obvious how much better Brentford were coached. How they were more organized and encouraged to attack and out score the opposition and not just try for a 1-0 snore fest. 

The only positive I've heard about Steven is how he walked a two club league. Nothing else. You would hope an ambitious club like Villa could do better. 

The comment I was responding to was about "achievement" not playing style or player improvement, out smarting Bruce is a low lever achievement!

Once again, not saying Gerrard is the right appointment but it is very hard to argue Smith had achieved more than Gerrard had prior to coming to Villa.

8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Did he? Experience, yes he had a few years on Gerrard I'll give you that. He finished 9th, 10th and 9th in the Championship with Brentford and he never got close to promotion with Walsall. 

I don't see a great deal of difference between Smith and Gerrard in terms of managerial experience to be honest. Smith had more years under his belt but Gerrard has managed in Europe and won a trophy, again not saying he is the right man but I don't recall people making similar comments re Smith.

a

But we were in free fall in the bottom half of the Championship back then. We’re a PL team with an expensively assembled squad with aspirations of playing in Europe now. We’re not entertaining any championship managers for the job now like we were the last time.

If there’s no real difference between Gerrard now and Smith when we hired him where’s the next level going to come from?

• Like 2

Just now, TrentVilla said:

but it is very hard to argue Smith had achieved more than Gerrard had prior to coming to Villa.

You're absolutely right objectively, but has he relatively? He is, right now, a more successful manager than Smith was when he got the job, but we're also a much more attractive proposition. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

He never finished above Bruce though did he?