The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

37 minutes ago, hippo said:

What does lined up mean in practical terms  ?

What does "had a shortlist " mean in practical terms ?

to me lined up - means we have someone who has informally agreed to take the job ?  (don't think we have that)

a shortlist probably like most on here Puslow looks at the results and thinks "that Moyes fella is doing ok"  , "You know that potter looks a decent manager"  etc - its doesn't mean anything. When he gave DS the news he probably had a shortlist of replacements in mind - thats easy - the practicalities of making an approach, making an offer are significant obstacles. So really saying they have a shortlist means close to F all imo.

I think a shortlist is candidates that have indicated they would be interested in discussing the role with us. Not just a random list of manager that Purslow likes the look of.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think a shortlist is candidates that have made it clear they would be interested in discussing the role with us. Not just a random list of manager that Purslow likes the look of.

But then that would have to be out of work only guys ? 

Anyone under contract to another club - couldn't indicate they would take the job.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m sure this information could be obtained via their representatives without it being leaked. 

Agreed. 

Personally I think we have a fallback guy in mind. Currently unemployed - who will take the job. But we might try poaching another guy under contract first.

I think it will be Fonseca.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

Have already talked about context of the 7 losses and contributing factors this season (inconsistent teams due to absenses, no best xi starting, in form teams towards top of table, results broadly in line with fan pre game expectations) but maybe worth a few points about the other 11 losses in 2021:

• 8 of these defeats were to sides that qualified for Europe last season, 5 of these were against sides that qualified for CL
  • Not much split between home and away (5 to 6), but all three defeats to non-Euro teams were away from home
  • Palace defeat was joint most changes to a starting line up from the previous game (4, equal with Burnley 0-0 draw at home). Cash, Mings, Barkley and Grealish were missing from arguably our best XI for that season.
  • Sheff Utd defeat was also missing 4 "best XI" players, in Cash, Luiz, Barkley and Grealish
  • 7 of the 11 defeats were without Grealish
  • 6 of the 11 defeats were without Barkley
  • Burnley defeat was with our full "best XI" and result arguably did not reflect the game, xg would've suggested likely result of game to be something like a 3-1 villa win.

Surely we should at least be looking to draw against the top teams, i find your reasoning totally defeatest.

After Christmas, Barkley was a crock of Sh1t and we were generally better without him. 

In the last 5 seasons we have the 5th highest net spend of any club in Europe, Smith has overseen the lions share of that spend (Euro 330M over the last 3 seasons). Without the Grealish money, we'd have the highest net spend in Europe over the last 3 years. Are you saying that we should just accept losing to Burnley (for example), because we had 4 players missing ? 

It's the managers job to make sure the team can compete with all teams as best as possible, at times We were excellent under Smith, but all too often form dipped, injuries happened and Smith (and his team) failed to get the most out of the players available to him.

Teams get injuries, suspensions, loss of form etc etc, but you have to change your tactics to suit what you have and in game to suit your opposition, ultimately that was Smith's failing, and his undoing.

Edited by dukes
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

His style of football doesn't work over the course of a season. That has been proven time and time again. It's a no from me! 

I think you read that wrong....I wasn't promoting Martinez.

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

David Wagner, done some great things at Huddersfield, lost the plot at  Schalke but talks sense and sees where he went wrong. 

Will he bring Mrs H, she's goygess and freeway as well

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hippo said:

Agreed. Its been quoted than not many villa managers go on to better things after leaving Aston Villa. Thats because weve employed dogshite in the first place.

Have you thought that every manager we appointed in the last 30 years was dogshite at the time we appointed them?

16 minutes ago, maqroll said:

This has to be a bold and aggressive pick, not a safe pick like Martinez. 

I agree with this. I think we can afford to try to find someone leftfield who can be for us what Pochettino was for Saints. 

Despite the poor start I don't see us getting relegated with this squad so let's take a chance. 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

But then that would have to be out of work only guys ? 

Anyone under contract to another club - couldn't indicate they would take the job.

I'm going to assume someone at Villa (most likely Lange) contacted the agents of the managers (employed or not) on our shortlist prior and summarized their responses to Purslow/NSWE before they made the decision to jettison Smith.  After the news went public, I'd imagine the interest flow went the other way and agents of interested managers we didn't initially contact would reach out to the club to throw their clients' hats into the ring.  Purslow/Lange/NSWE then goes through the overall finalized list and select the top 3-5 candidates to at least speak to.  Employed managers may need permission from their current clubs to speak to us, but that's all dictated by whatever is in their current employment contract.  Based on how those conversations went, you'd want to talk to the front runner or two face to face for several hours (like Smith's late night hotel conversation with Purslow or Brenden Rodgers' 180 page dossier he delivered to the Liverpool panel) to get a further sense of the man, his actual interest, and what he is like to work with.  If all goes well, contract negotiations start and depending on how complicated the compensation package is, it may take hours to days to sort out.  

Levy did this all before sacking Poch and replacing him with Mourinho, and again with Nuno/Conte, but it's very rarely done this way.  The fact that we're in an international break shows we have time to do it right this week, but I very much doubt we went into this decision without anyone in mind for the job.