The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Rangers finished on 102 points last season that doesn't suggest they won the league just because of how bad Celtic were, those 102 points would have been enough for Rangers to win the league in each of the last six seasons, and in seven of the last eight seasons. Whether he could translate it to Villa me no know, but Gerrard has done an very good job in Scotland.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Completely agree.  I have no problem with Gerrard as a player unlike some but from a manager point of view, it's too early, he has had a soft job up there in Scotland (yes I understand the Celtic dominance but that's the only competition and HeyAnty covers some the additional things that made it easier for him).  Surely we are way beyond taking such a risk on an inexperienced manager, who is an unknown quality really and is getting a leg up because of his name as a player.  He may turn out to be a great manager one day but I think we are better than a guinea pig test case for this league.  If he ends up being our manager I will support him 100% obviously but at this stage, I am dead against it and if we do go ahead with him it means imo that we arent as ambitious as we thought or were told we were going to be and midtable is our level.

I think a lot of the disappointment in his name being linked isn't anything to do with him as a player or as a coach, but him being a generally unlikeable person.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Im sorry but who are Villa, a team in its third year back in the prem, survived by skin of our teeth, last year.....played for 18 games.

I think a few need to really think about what they sating, turning their nose ups at some of the names mentioned, I'm sorry, but we are not as big as we think we are, its alright having money and a nice ground, it doesnt mean anything.

Its shame it didn't workout for Smith, but please, look at his record, its poor, reliant on Grealish and a pot of money, no plan A or B.  But, he has been let down by some players, simple basics he cannot effect.

Its also been a funny summer so you could argue this season was always going to be difficult.

Either way, its a new chapter and must back the new manager regardless of who it is.

Are you serious? despite only being promoted back a couple of years back we are still a relatively big club who has billionaire owners, a small wage bill, plenty of cash in the bank from the Grealish sale, a youth academy that most clubs would be envious about, a massive crowd/support, a talented young squad and a good reputation...it's a dream job to anybody aside from the elite managers.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Mister_a said:

I think a lot of the disappointment in his name being linked isn't anything to do with him as a player or as a coach, but him being a generally unlikeable person.

Maybe but that's not from me, I just think we are beyond that level of risk that he or Lampard or Terry would bring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

The fans won't give Gerrard 12 months, if we start losing it will get toxic real quick with what's happened to Smith . Purslow is either very brave or very stupid .

In fairness this is always the case down the Villa.

Like it or not our fans are some of the more entitled and impatient in the league, I would put us up there with the Toon Army (yes, I said it), Gooners and Yanited fans in terms of 'expecting' immediate success without really reading the room or being very self-aware at times.

I'm guilty of this too from time to time, sure we all are, many of us have been raised and indoctrinated (either by family or fellow fans) with dreams of 1982 and some of the luckier folk were even there, but it's more rare to hear talk of the dark days that followed our brief zenith as European giants.

Purslow and the owners might not have been with us long, but they're not spring chickens either, they'll know the exacting (and sometimes pretty daft) standards of the fans. They're businessmen and so they see us as 'Stakeholders'. Anyone in business knows that stakeholders always have outrageous demands and need their expectations to be managed! It won't faze them at all tbh.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I'd suggested earlier in this thread that Potter wasn't the solution as I assumed a pursuit of him would be fruitless. He is held in very high esteem by the Brighton owners, has a very long contract and has little pressure. They have a very progressive approach (like ours) with good ownership and smart strategy around recruitment and youth. They are also 7th in the table and to be honest, they are delivering against "the best of the rest". Why would he move? However he is a Villa fan and perhaps money talks? He does seem to be a very intelligent manager on the up.

All we need to get some of our boys on here to explain to them why he is extremely shite and overrated, they will then see sense, and that will convince them to sack him, and he could come to us. SORTED.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, tinker said:

He lost 5 games after beating man u,  away. Half the team caught COVID early this year , we lost our best player in the summer. He deserved more time .

Let's see who's the next manager, I expected an almost immediate appointment and it doesn't look like we have anyone in the wings. If it's picked from the list I have seen , with Gerrard favourite , then we are in trouble .

Its been vacant less than 24 hours !  - Every time a manager departs someone always says 'they must have someone lined up'  - very often its not the case

My opinion is that Gerrard might be a good appointment. I think it might be nice to have a bit of a bastard in charge for a change. Might stop us from being such a soft touch. Also I think in recent times we’ve lost that connection between the team/manager and the fans that smith initially really built up and improved.I think Gerrard could get that back pretty quick.  I don’t really get the idea that because he likes Liverpool we will be a stepping stone. All managers would use us as a stepping stone. 

Just my opinion of course. I don’t care who we get in as long as it improves on the dross we’ve put up with this season 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

All we need to get some of our boys on here to explain to them why he is extremely shite and overrated, they will then see sense, and that will convince them to sack him, and he could come to us. SORTED.

Well, his last 5 games are 4 draws and a loss, not great? They could start with that?

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Maybe but that's not from me, I just think we are beyond that level of risk that he or Lampard or Terry would bring.

I sitting halfway between both camps. Old enough to remember how much of a word removed he was, and not convinced he's the right person for the job.

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It can't be anymore backwards than where it was heading under Smith.

Sure, that's a great argument! stick with that...even though I dont agree with your view on Smith, the argument that he cant be worse than Smith is not the foundation to hire Gerrard.  I actually think he could be a disaster and would walk away at the end of the season with not a care in the world and it would be everybody else's fault it would be portrayed.  No interest in him.

5 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

Only thing I'd say to that is it was similar when Terry came in and he kept his head down and out of negative publicity and did well for us on and off the pitch.

Gerrard is a pro and would be the same and probably wouldn't drop major clanger when we play Liverpool away like Houllier did.

Plus he has that nasty edge we sometimes lack as a club so that can possibly translate on the pitch.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Ok, just for a comparison, I see a lot of people wanting Graham Potter, who has done nothing with Brighton and before that proving himselft in the second best division in Sweden whereas Hjulmand won the title in Denmark in a 3 horse race, NOT managing one of the 3.

In the second period with FC Nordsjælland, unfortunately FC Copenhagen and FC Midtjylland had become a lot stronger and there was not much he could do. He is still a really good manager to get the best out of young players. As of now, managing Denmark, we had good European competition and so far the best team in Europe if you look a the qualification games, we have played 8 games, won all 8 and have a goalscore of 27-0

Mate, I appreciate you're defensive of Danish football and rate this guy, but bringing comparisons to Potter doesn't really work here. Potter moved to a smaller club than us after his stint in Sweden and showed himself to be capable before Brighton took him on - Hjulmand would have to do the same IMO. I'd also like to point out that being the head coach of a national team is very different to club level.

I want a manager who has shown that he can cut it at club level in a top league and Hjulmand does not fit that bill for me. 

1 minute ago, grobs said:

Also I think in recent times we’ve lost that connection between the team/manager and the fans that smith initially really built up and improved.I think Gerrard could get that back pretty quick.

Given the overwhelming against Gerrard being manager across a lot of the Villa fan base, I cant see how you think he is going to build a connection with Villa fans.  Only McLeish has received more backlash in recent decades being linked and we saw how that went when he did become our manager.

Just now, AVFCDAN said:

The list of mangers is pretty underwhelming to be honest, its not that we are above these names but i just don't see why you would sack Dean Smith to get in someone like Lampard.

The reasons for sacking Smith and the list of names on here or in the media are not linked. We sacked Smith due to footballing reasons. The names doing the rounds are media clickbait to try and get clicks

• Like 2