The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

11 hours ago, hippo said:

No they aren't are main rivals. And no he wouldn't be as unpopular as McLeish.

If any due dillegence has been done. Im sure Houlliers time at villa would crop up. 

I do feel there's still a bit of needle between the two clubs. The motd pundits rarely have much good to say about villa for example.

I dont think theres any needle between the two clubs its all in our heads. 

• Like 1

The only name I can feel excited about is Graham Potter. He's a very good "modern" manager for me, got PL experience so will hit the ground running and is a Villa fan. 

Obviously its very difficult to see him leaving a Brighton side doing well in mid season but it's also difficult to see him going to a club bigger than Villa and sometimes life throws you big chances at inconvenient times. 

A lot of the other names feel like huge punts to me. Very little to say whether they would do better than Smith or much worse. Surely if you are going to make such a big change it has to be because you a very confident someone else will do better. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rodders said:

there's a lot of pages to go back, where's the link with Gerrard? Would be **** woeful to go for him. Scottish league is a useless indicator of capabilities, especially at either Rangers / Celtic

Billy McNeill, springs to mind. Wonderful for Celtic, woeful once he crossed the border. 

23 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We wouldn't get more recognition by the press if we hired Gerrard, Gerrard would. Lol. 

Gerrard would get a lot of publicity and focus but indirectly that puts focus on us too. The pressure will massively be on him.  I’m really warming to the idea of him being the next manager. I don’t think he would take the job though. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

9 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Success, you mean like Southgate? Both of them have truly dreadful records in club management. I’d be surprised and concerned if we appointed him. Probably just a lazy link because of Lang. 

Thats actually not true. He had a lot of succes with FC Nordsjælland where he won the danish championship in 2012 with a team, where he mainly used players that was brought through their youth academy and finished 2nd the year after, having to compete with the likes of FC Copenhagen, FC Midtjylland and Brøndby IF.

Winning the danish league with FCN is like winning the Scottish Championship with Hibernian

After that he got a move to Mainz 05, but wasn't really given time before he got fired.

Edited by Taxahunter
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Gerrard would get a lot of publicity and focus but indirectly that puts focus on us too. The pressure will massively be on him.  I’m really warming to the idea of him being the next manager. I don’t think he would take the job though. 

I have an hard time coming to terms with a manager who sees us merely as a stepping- stone to getting the Liverpool job. 

• Like 1

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

I have an hard time coming to terms with a manager who sees us merely as a stepping- stone to getting the Liverpool job. 

Fair enough. It really wouldn’t bother me. He **** it up he’s lost his dream so he really can’t let that happen. He succeeds he leaves us in a great place for a new head coach to take over. 

I think he has a lot to lose. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villaglint said:

The only name I can feel excited about is Graham Potter. He's a very good "modern" manager for me, got PL experience so will hit the ground running and is a Villa fan. 

Obviously its very difficult to see him leaving a Brighton side doing well in mid season but it's also difficult to see him going to a club bigger than Villa and sometimes life throws you big chances at inconvenient times. 

A lot of the other names feel like huge punts to me. Very little to say whether they would do better than Smith or much worse. Surely if you are going to make such a big change it has to be because you a very confident someone else will do better. 

You do realise his Brighton side haven't won a game since mid September ?

They are also getting a reputation of creating but missing chances.

6 minutes ago, kevpants said:

Sebastian Hoeneß?

Young, successful career so far. German (so hot right now) and a member of footballing aristocracy. Might temp Lewa over for the last leg of his career in the Prem.

He is not having a good year at Hoffenheim, I am not sure what would attract us to him other than the fact he is a football manager and we are looking for a football manager

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fans was generally happy with finishing 11th. Hardly massive pressure. 

• Like 1

Before Gerrard went to Rangers the Scottish League was a one team league, that team being Celtic, whilst he's been there it's remained a one team league but that team has become Rangers. I haven't really taken much notice but has also apparently done weil with them in Europe and from what I've read they play good football. I'm not particulary keen on Gerrard, but not massively against it either as it's not as if he's without merit as a manager.

We're not going to be able to bring in one of the elite names, as in a Conte, or Pochettino type, so of the managers we will be able to attract they will all have pluses and minuses.

7 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I'm also thinking more about Potter. Think there's some uncertainty around his Birmingham loyalties so I found this online:

But, despite his time as a Blue, Potter admits he was not actually a Birmingham supporter, and revealed that one of the most famous of nights in the city’s sporting history - even though it involved the Blues main rivals - stands out from his younger days.

“It was really weird because my first football memory was watching the European Cup final when Aston Villa won it. I’ve got a picture of myself with Ken McNaught with the European Cup," he said.

“They brought it to the Shirley British Legion Club. You can see how times have changed because they’d never take the Champions League trophy to the British Legion these days.

“My father still has a pint there on a Friday night. So at that point I was watching that team with, Peter Withe, Gary Shaw and Tony Morley which I was quite excited by.

“When I started playing for Birmingham I started to support them. I was more bothered by playing than I was supporting.”

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/graham-potter-feel-more-home-15039358