The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Just now, 1974Centenary said:

Then hes not good enough for the Villa!

I agree! If he does sign, how quickly can I start a Gerrard Out thread?and how much time into the first game do I have to wait before I can start booing him? 10 minutes reasonable?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Can I ask why are people mentioning the Saints manager with Villa? He has a very mediocre record at Saints including a couple of 9-0's. Is this just lazy journalism or is it because they beat us? I didn't really rate them  the other night. Cannot see him as a real candidate surely?

You’d have thought we’d be way past this now, being linked with managers or players from teams that have literally just beaten us. But, alas, we are not. 

• Like 1

It's going to be isn't it! I already feel sick at hearing the words "Stevie G" being mentioned excitably across the media in relation to Villa. Would sooner hear "Wazza" or "Lamps" being mentioned (I wouldn't like this at all, for those unsure...).

• Like 1

I’d be bitterly disappointed if we appoint Gerrard. Done well with Rangers in a two horse league where Celtic have imploded. Big gamble, not worth it.

Rather get someone exciting like Lucien Favre, even Graham Potter.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Brighton last won a premier league game a week before our last win.

I do think though he's one of those managers with style of football that would translate well higher up the league. Bit like when Rodgers had that season at Swansea who finished 11th or 12th and it works higher up the league aswell.

I am no way endorsing Potter for the job. I just don't know. I hope the owners know exactly who they want and are well on their way to appointing them. Whoever it is will give us a very clear idea about the owners intentions going forward.

17 minutes ago, Eastie said:

You could not be further from the truth , they have remained great friends and had a fantastic relationship at Liverpool - it 100% will be gerrard if he wants the job and I think they are pretty sure he does 

That is depressing if true. Has disaster written all over it.

• Like 2

Just now, nick76 said:

I agree! If he does sign, how quickly can I start a Gerrard Out thread?and how much time into the first game do I have to wait before I can start booing him? 10 minutes reasonable?

It's important to give everyone a chance. Majority gave McLeish a chance once the games started but we all sensed very quickly it wasn't going to work but even then mass protesting at VP was saved until final weeks.

I didn't want us signing John Terry but he got his head down and kept out of negative headlines while doing his bit on and off the pitch.

Don't think Gerrard will work for a few reasons but get the feeling he's the guy Purslow will ideally want. If he dosen't want to leave Rangers then we'll move on to other options which could include Nuno, Hasenhuttl,  Lampard and a few guys from abroad.

12 minutes ago, KMitch said:

He's still one of the top 3-4 managers in the world, regardless of what's happened to him recently.  He requires a dressing room of 3-5 very strong leaders and a lot of money to bring in the players to make his style work, which is why he failed at Man United and Spurs.  If he gets strong consistent backing in the transfer market and patience from the board/fans, he would make us into an established European side. 

That said, there is no way in Hell we'd be able to convince him to join us at the moment. 

I strongly disagree here, I’m a big fan of Jose but he’s nowhere near the levels be once was. If I could have my pick of managers he wouldn’t be near top 5. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

It's important to give everyone a chance. Majority gave McLeish a chance once the games started but we all sensed very quickly it wasn't going to work but even then mass protesting at VP was saved until final weeks.

I didn't want us signing John Terry but he got his head down and kept out of negative headlines while doing his bit on and off the pitch.

Don't think Gerrard will work for a few reasons but get the feeling he's the guy Purslow will ideally want. If he dosen't want to leave Rangers then we'll move on to other options which could include Nuno, Hasenhuttl,  Lampard and a few guys from abroad.

That last paragraph sums up why we shouldn’t have sacked Smith…it’s a poor list of names, just poor.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Thats more than reasonable.

11 minutes ago, 1974Centenary said:

Hypothetical question.....If Klopp were to resign today after their latest loss,do you think Liverpools owners would go for Gerrard?

I think its a bit soon so no I think they would go for an established manager 

Gerrard has done ok in a boring pointless 2 horse race in Scotland.

Why does that mean he is tye right person for this job. If it's down to being mates with Purslow then god help us. It would be truly awful appointment.

There are no names we are linked with that inspire me, or make me believe they would be a better long term option than Dean. 

I really hope we've done the best research ever and find a rising star that isn't currently linked to us. Only been 3 hours and I'm already beginning to regret him being sacked. 

• Like 4

Just now, Pissflaps said:

Gerrard has done ok in a boring pointless 2 horse race in Scotland.

Why does that mean he is tye right person for this job. If it's down to being mates with Purslow then god help us. It would be truly awful appointment.

He wears a nice sweater, though. That's what really matters. We learned that the hard way with Sherwood. 

• Haha 1