January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

29 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Have we given up on finding gems? 

All our targets are very obvious ones 

Finding gems means giving them time to show what they can do. Could even take a season or so. Along with that comes the risk they flop. 

Are you going to allow them that time?

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not talking about 16 year olds.

Talking about gems like McGinn for instance.

I'm sure we will, but they are rare in reality - you tend to only get one or two a season across the whole league. I would say this season only the attacker at Watford comes to mind

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Doing an Everton 🎶

Gonna be really hard to pretend we are not, at least if we also go after what remains of Aaron Ramsey

Yes, seems a bit of a worry.  Wage bill will have ballooned this window with Ramsey added.  Someone said it earlier, perhaps we are looking at high quality loans so as to improve the team now, bit not block progression of our youngsters?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sne said:

Doing an Everton 🎶

Gonna be really hard to pretend we are not, at least if we also go after what remains of Aaron Ramsey

Ramsey will be a disgraceful signing and again further about the lack of imagination at the current time. Probably bring in Gary Cahill at centre back to replace Axel🙄

11 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Just out of interest, if both were available for £40m, who would you prefer…

Kalvin Phillips or Yves Bissouma?

Would be absolutley over the moon with either. 

I think Phillips in some ways fits the team/culture position we are after better but I actually think Bissouma has the higher ceiling. 

Given Phillips seems hugely unlikely and Bissouma seems is available (even for a very high price) you'd have to swing Bissouma's way (assuming the club has satisfied itself on the legal issue). Still difficult to believe either will happen but its a crazy Jan so who knows. 

26 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

I really can't understand some people! 

We're potentially signing Coutinho and Digne, 2 players better than anyone we currently have in those respective positions and people are moaning. Both are 28/29 the absolute prime age for a footballer and both proven PL players.

We have one of the youngest squads in the PL, we need experience to push on now or it will be another few seasons hoping our youngsters hit their prime and then get poached by the super clubs.

This time we're buying the players in their prime, we have already bought plenty of younger gems that have improved in value in Luiz, McGinn, Cash, Watkins, Konsa and more.

If we want to seriously progress, we need proven talent now and start introducing the next gen into the team - Carney, Bidace, Ramsay, Kesler etc.,

If you said to me 2 weeks ago we could potentially have Coutinho and Digne in the Jan window, I'd of said that's optimistic!

Add Bissouma and it's the best window we've had since Summer 95 for me.

I was 13…. What happened in 95?

4 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Bloody good ones though. Why find gems when you can buy ready made ones.

I remember Purslow saying when we got promoted, the first couple of years will be about building a squad and after that it will be adding a couple of top quality players every season to kick us on.  We are starting the lateral now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Doing an Everton 🎶

Doing a Fulham last season, Doing an Everton this season, Doing a Chelsea/City next season? 

Continuous improvement, I'll take that :flag:

I can't actually believe we may have Coutinho and Digne this window.  

The pessimist in me is screaming this is going to fail.  But in reality they are very good footballers on a level significantly above what we have.  This is superb.  We need to get dead wood out ASAP.  I really do believe in the potential of a lot of our youth players so keeping the likes of AEG/Trez is only going to make it worse for them and we could end up in a Cahill-type situation where they blossom elsewhere as a result of our own blinkers.