January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

I'm a bit concerned about digne, not the player exactly but rather the profile. What happened to young,  hungry with plenty of scope for improvement?

I'll forgive Coutinho as he's a special case maybe even ings too, but any more and this becomes the norm.

We are in danger of becoming Everton 

One glance at their forum says they agree with you too, buying big name players who wouldn’t really want to join us.  I worry you might be right but we have no control over it so I’m just going to hope for the best. 

8 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Nice thread here. Interesting insight (no pun intended!) 

Good read, very sound understanding of the situation. We are doing things right, ever since NWSE came in, the were honourable and let Bruce have a shot at it, Deano was an upgrade and very good at getting us this far, now we appear to have a man and a setup that can take us up another level. Great times.

On 08/01/2022 at 07:50, Woody1000 said:

The problem with that Paul is you then ask the question “What is in it for Brighton?”

Would we loan a PL rival one of, if not our best player/s just so they had the option to send him back if it didn’t work out for them?

I understand where you’re coming from, but I just don’t think Brighton would go for anything like that. It’s going to take a big offer to get Brighton interested imo, I think they can wait until the summer before panicking about getting something for him assuming he is not going to sign a new deal.

Which I think is fair enough, when someone has prison hanging over them i'm not signing them permanently

1 minute ago, Villaphil said:

Anyone else get the feeling we’re splashing the cash up front, not convinced it will be as easy to beat NUFC to targets in the summer (if they stay up).  Thinking how City did for the Lerner dream of Champs League.

Think we’re trying to give ourselves a head start but even if Newcastle do stay up, surely there are only so players they can buy, there are a lot out there and both squads will have different needs. 

11 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

Anyone else get the feeling we’re splashing the cash up front, not convinced it will be as easy to beat NUFC to targets in the summer (if they stay up).  Thinking how City did for the Lerner dream of Champs League.

Not necessarily newcastle

I think spurs and arsenal will be better next year too, there's a few clubs weaker this year than last year who could get better long before Newcastle get themselves in order, everton Leicester, Leeds, wolves etc 

There's a lot of fish in our pond 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Our transfer activity is exactly why I in the summer I said we had to sell Grealish if ever got offered 100m. He was good but you can never rely on one player. This has really allowed us to step it up. 

It can make a big difference. Liverpool brought Van Dijk, Allison & Fabinho with the Coutinho money. They went on to win their first league title in 20 years and lift the European Cup. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

yep, i also think it gives Gerrard more chance to gel the team. Get 3 or 4 in now, gives them a really long pre season for next year

He's available to buy or on loan, if we've got a chance for Bissouma then we will have a chance for Ndombele, probably even more so. I think the biggest question mark with him is how suitable of a replacement/upgrade would he be on Nakamba, he's perhaps more similar to Luiz, certainly not an out and out DM, even though he has played there a decent amount of times. I remember watching him for Lyon and being very impressed, I thought he was going to be a big signing for Spurs.