January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I hope you’re right.  They are desperate I suppose to get Torres on the wage book.

If it happens I'm sure he will be our highest paid player ever by a margin of £100k/w or so 💰:mellow:

Edited by sne

4 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

You’d imagine the Saudis in the north east will be all over it if Coutinho’s available.

They havent got the facilities we have. The training ground is their place of work. And Newcastle hasnt had any improvements there for 15 years . Their money is scary but until the infrastructure is in place they will not be able to get the very best 

4 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I would love to believe the coutinho would succeed here, but i just can't see him having the motivation to do it. He will see it as a big step down and i think we would have been better off going a different route. I want us to get a DM in who is ideally a physical unit and capable of chipping in with a few goals and pushing the team on.

For the first part - he has the opportunity to show he's still got it and get a permanent move back to the PL/away from Barca. He'll have plenty of incentive to do well IMO and should have 2-3 more years at a top level.

And for the second part - no reason this loan means we won't go for a DM as well - I'm certain we will.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

You’d imagine the Saudis in the north east will be all over it if Coutinho’s available.

He might have said no to them.  He’d probably say no to us if it wasn’t for Gerrard.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

I'd imagine the Steven G link is a big attraction. Though I wouldn't be shocked if Newcastle throw insane amounts of money his way and he goes there instead. Suspect Newcastle will splash the cash big time this window. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sne said:

If it happens I'm sure he will be our highest paid player ever by a margin of £100k/w or so 💰:mellow:

Not really, we are only offering prob 50% of his wages at most given Barca desperation.  At 380k a week we would be less than 190k per week.

2 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

I'd imagine the Steven G link is a big attraction. Though I wouldn't be shocked if Newcastle throw insane amounts of money his way and he goes there instead. Suspect Newcastle will splash the cash big time this window. 

He’ll still be getting 380k per week whether he goes to Villa or Newcastle, it’s just what % Villa or Newcastle pay of it, with Barca paying the remainder. It makes no difference to Coutinho.  It’s just a choice of where he wants to play for six months.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Not really, we are only offering prob 50% of his wages at most given Barca desperation.  At 380k a week we would be less than 190k per week.

So only by a margin of £70/w then 👌

Just now, sne said:

So only by a margin of £70/w then 👌

Yeah I would say max.  At some point we are going to have to get into that bracket of weekly wage if we are serious about Top 8 league placings because teams in that bracket pay those salaries for some players.  Flirting with it for six months is a start.

Is Coutinho the perfect signing for us? No. I'm not even sure his position is the first I'd go get someone in for. But as a loan for 6 months, even if his abilities have waned since he last played in England, he improves is, so if he is up to coming here I wouldn't turn my nose up at him.

• Like 2

I think if we are going to talk about forwards it is worth discussing what we need.

Gerrard plays with a narrow three in attack.

So we aren't really looking for wingers but inside forwards or number 10's who score more than your average 10.

We have Bailey, Buendia and Traore who fit the mould currently.

AEG and Trez are useless for it, especially the latter.

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He’ll still be getting 380k per week whether he goes to Villa or Newcastle, it’s just what % Villa or Newcastle pay of it, with Barca paying the remainder. It makes no difference to Coutinho.  It’s just a choice of where he wants to play for six months.

well it also depends on who pays more as Barca need the most money off the bill. 

1 hour ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Hmmmn, not so sure i agree with that tbh.

A lack of grit basically means they are just not determined enough to win the game. A bit half cocked so to speak. Not busting a gut to win their battles and basically being too passive.

I don't quite see how a lack of grit is every player running at 100 MPH for 20 mins? If you mean they are going in at 100% for 20 mins & burning themselves out rather than pacing themselves over the course of the game then that may be a lack of fitness & or guile/intelligence in respect of not picking their moments properly & going gung ho i guess but it looks like they sometimes think they can win a game easily, get 1 or 2-0 up (Chelsea, Wolves, Brentford) and they then go into second gear when they then get outdone by the basic desire & determination of the other team to win. This happened against Brentford from what i saw. We had the players on the pitch to win, indeed even during the game Brentford lost a couple of the few better players they actually had to injury and we still had clearly lost focus and lost the game really poorly.

It looks like they just switch off or often fail to get going until they get roasted at half time. This has happened several times already under Gerrard. All signs of a lack of focus & desire to me. If we had more leaders & burning desire to win on the field that roasting could happen in game when needed thus reducing the spells of mediocrity & hopefully improving results...Small margins & all.

If they are only working properly or hard enough for 20 mins then that would show a possible lack of fitness, determination, desire. It may also show that they lose focus quite quickly which again to me would say desire is questionable or they simply mentally give up which can of course be affected by confidence too. That is where the leader(s) need to step in.

Of course i say all this in the knowledge that the Premier League is the peak of World football so the margins between success & failure are tiny. Of course they want to win, of course they try but to be the best of the best they need to find that extra 10% as that makes all the difference between success & failure. It needs World class grit & leadership, average or just very good simply doesn't cut it as they all have that at this level.

Personally I don't think as a PL player you get to that level without a massive amount of determination.

Stevie G stated tactic of not pushing on when you have the lead bothers me. You can never legislate for the odd worldy or complete cock up - you can't win every game by a single goal.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

well it also depends on who pays more as Barca need the most money off the bill. 

I think that’s a valid point but Coutinho might say no to Newcastle and only consider stepping down to us because of Gerrard.

Liverpool, Barca, Bayern, Barca….bit hard to then to step down to Howe’s Newcastle relegation battle isn’t it.

1 minute ago, hong0311 said:

You really can't say Coutinho isn't an upgrade to Trez/AEG/Bertie

I know his best position isn't a winger but on paper if we offload any of the above and bring Coutinho in, it's definitely a plus to the team.

We don't play wingers anymore.....

The Newcastle links look quite lazy...

Barcelona need Coutinho off their books for the season in order to register Ferran Torres.

If they try to hold out for a higher percentage of his wage to be paid, they risk Coutinho saying no and remaining at the club. This results in Torres not being able to be registered.

For Coutinho, with money being no object (he get's paid regardless). Would you rather link up with a manager you know, in a team pushing for a top half finish; or join a team battling relegation?

50 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Doubtful 

They are walking a tight line to try and free up cash. With more than 1 option it will most probably be 100%...the only question is the loan fee.

Definitely won't be a cheap package 

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Doubtful 

They are walking a tight line to try and free up cash. With more than 1 option it will most probably be 100%...the only question is the loan fee.

Definitely won't be a cheap package 

Highly doubt it, it’ll be no where near 100%