January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Have you watched him play much since he left the PL? If not, the scorn makes about as much sense as laughing at someone wanting to sign Carlos Tevez.

Coutinho be like when we brought in Bolasie or Joe Cole

38 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Adama Traore being touted around at £20m...

Seems cheap and would certainly add a lot of pace and strength to the team. I know he's a marmite character but I'd be all over him at that price. 

No chance, absolutely not. He would add pace and strength of course but there’s a reason he’s not starting games for Lage. 2 goals and 2 assists in 55 games (both last season) 

4 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Yeah... I watched him for Bayern on loan 2 seasons ago...  He was fantastic.

about half of his appearances were as a sub though. Coming on for Bayern is also a lot easier than starting for Villa

Edited by Zatman

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Doubtful it happens but just for the fact that the sky transfer show pundits were laughing at the very suggestion,.I hope it does.

They give pundits a bad name. I would like to wipe the smiles off their faces in the next two windows and give them something other than Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle and the two Manchester clubs to talk about for a change. :angry:

• Like 3

Coutinho isn't the problem, it's the opportunity cost.

Say we spend £10m on him for the next few months. We could have split that into an extra £10k/week over 5 years and £2.5m extra sign on bonus each for 2 players. With some of the players available on a free in 6 months this could be well worthwhile.

• Like 2

Sometimes its all about having someone you can trust. Maybe just maybe he wants to play football. And Gerrard could call him up and tell him exactly how he is going to use him . I am sure he already has done . He has been pushed around filling in at Barca .  We signed 29 year old Danny Ings on 120k a week plus 5 mill signing on bonus. We can do 6 months of Couthinho at a cost of 10 mill. Will be massive for the kids as well . And the perception of our club . 

• Like 2

Getting Coutinho would mean we'd have two proper number 10s (him and Buendia) which Gerrard eventually progressed to with Rangers.  Add the ability to then switch those two for out-and-out wingers (when the circumstances required) in Bailey and Traore and we'd have a ridiculous set of options up top.

Coutinho, Aaron Hickey and a beastly DM, that would be unbelievable and add so much more balance to the squad!

• Like 1

50% of his wages still makes him the highest paid player in our squad. It would definitely be a red flag signing from this new management team

This is definitely a management call because for all Lange data I would be terrified if it all led up to Coutinho

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We arent creating chances, our xG is woeful so it could be more than just Europe, if it makes the difference between 11-13th or 8-9th then worthwhile in terms of attracting talent in the summer. 

Will Coutinho do all that, very unlikely but I keep talking about a spark to get us going, our front line is stale at the moment but a bit of excitement into the club, a big signing may just kick something off.  He may completely fail but at the moment we are stale, not creating and need something...if Gerrard thinks he's right and can get something out of him then go for it I say.  He wont be the difference of 4 or 5 positions in the league but he could add a spark that gets us going and in the summer a top ten/eight position is far more attractive to signings than 11-13th.

Spot on I think.  It may be a gamble, but even if it doesn't work out, as another step in showing we can get big names here it could be invaluable.  And it may well be that we have a longer term target in mind for Summer so this really would be just a stop gap. Big name, plenty of experience and hopefully a point to prove. I think it's exciting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

Holt shitbiscuit, it's the Steve Gerrard connection pure n simple. What a coup, if on I'm driving to the sky studios to stick 7 flavours of jelly in the smug presenters faces, then I'm going make them listen to me sing the National anthem and then I'll show them a picture of pissflaps smiling face. **** Sky

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Ah, we were (bizarrely) linked to Kalvin Phillips from Leeds in the papers overnight - not the occasional Liverpool centre back.

the link this morning from somebody was that we wanted Nat Phillips as Gomez wasnt available