January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

3 minutes ago, John said:

Why would we want to sell an England international and our captain to Newcastle and why would he want to go to a relegation threatened club? He's had Villa in his heart since he joined us on loan and who can forget him traveling back to Bournemouth after the play off final in his Villa shirt? The move has been good for Tyrone and for our football club, he may make the odd error, but few central defenders don't and we are a lot more solid with him in the team than without him. 

We wouldn’t and we won’t. 

I guess in terms of why he would want to go it would just be for extortionate wages.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

For those  concerned we might sign Coutinho. Don’t worry, we aren’t signing him. 

For those excited we might signing Coutinho, get a grip, we aren’t signing him.

Dumb And Dumber So You're Telling Me There's A Chance Gif -  dierenambulanceverhalen

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

This is the kind of signing that would worry me, could be a very expensive disaster waiting to happen. The exact kind of signing I see Newcastle making.

But suppose he has the ability for sure ... that we've all seen in the past.

Only thing Coutinho has always wanted to play football , unlike Rodriguez and a few others, but it’s not happening lol

Edited by gwi1890

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Agreed, that's the kind of deal that works for them and us. 

No we shouldn’t be selling any first team players to them,  we should be giving them scraps like city did in the early days Stephen Ireland esque stuff.

• Like 1

Coutinho is 29 and has 18 months left on his £380k/w contract at Barcelona. Sure they'll be desperate to get rid of his contract but will he be desperate to more than half his salary? Barca might be up for paying part of his salary just to get rid like they did with Suarez, great deal that :lol:.

But Coutinho is not coming here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Baffled by people calling for Mings to be sold.  He is no where near being the weakest link in this team.  He is an England international in his prime, who is an extremely intelligent and respected leader in the dressing room.  I don't see anyone higher up than us in the table coming in for him and I don't see Newcastle bidding stupid money for him.  He makes the occasional mistake on the pitch, but he more than makes up for it off of it.  I can see him turning into more of a rotational type player in a few seasons if he doesn't progress with us up the table (Think Wes Morgan and Leicester), but he's one of the few names absolutely nailed on the teamsheet every week for me, right behind Martinez and McGinn.  

I’d agree, but I think many of the points being caveat’d by suggesting we replace him for better. Mings is 29 in March, so peak value, just waning, we all know his srentgths and weaknesses so if the Arabs offered top dollar in January and we can improve with a younger upgrade for similar or less it’s good business all round?

But while we are not strapped for cash I would be happy him hanging around even if we upgraded?

36 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I don't think we should do much. Of course, if a no-brainer trade comes across, grab it. But nothing HAS to be done.

Gerrard has indicated though in his presser today that we are likely doing business with the targets already identified 

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Gerrard has indicated though in his presser today that we are likely doing business with the targets already identified 

Do we reckon there will have been any major changes in the policy fro Manager to Manager 🤔.

Or will it be a case where analytics team etc which have identified areas in which we can improve, identified players and present them to him etc?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Gerard will be looking to add passion and aggression to his team. It's the way he played and his signings should mirror his life long philosophy.

The fact that he favours five substitutes indicates that Villa players are going to be expected to cover serious mileage from now on. Any players not able to do this, or not up for it will be replaced. 

This transfer window will be interesting.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Do we reckon there will have been any major changes in the policy fro Manager to Manager 🤔.

Or will it be a case where analytics team etc which have identified areas in which we can improve, identified players and present them to him etc?

Has to be a bit of both.  It won’t be just Gerrard choosing and it won’t be just the analytics team.  As been presented before that the club like continuity never mind whose managing the club but will also include the current managers views as a key voice in that.

We have one CB on loan, one whose contract is running down and we're talking about selling a third one, who is our captain and England international.

Baffled.

If you want to upgrade, fine, but you don't sell him. Especially to the newly minted richest club in the world and help speed up their domination of the league and give us another Super club to start pinching our top talent over the coming years.

Absolutely baffled.

'Replace with better'. Off your heads... and you're going to be livid when the owners don't do the impossible and lure a world class CB here who performs instantly with Kortney Hause as his backup.