Hungary v England England v Andorra Poland v England World Cup Quaffers

andykeenan

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

t's the 3rd game after being together for 10 days and being together all summer but they play like strangers

Not learned anything from the Euros it seems. I would have thought the final might have woken Southgate up a bit but doesn't look like it. We still look like eleven individuals and not a team, Italy man for man couldn't match us in the final on paper even after Southgate shat himself and played an extra defender. They were a proper team though, that worked hard for each other and had a way of playing together ingrained over a couple of years by Mancini. No sign of that with us.

• Like 1

I would say shaws chemistry with grealish is the only real stranger problem in the team

Kane dropping deep and no one running past him is Southgates tactics 

Sterlings decision making and ball hogging is Sterling 

Mount floating about covering grealish and sterling when they come inside worked in terms of positioning but not in terms of quality because mount was poor 

I though the CBs as a unit looked good, rices ability to drop in when one of them went forward was good, rice and phillips as a pair pressing was good, kanes covering of Kyle walker when he went forward was incredible... 

Edit - sterling is where we've not learned anything from the euros, play him in, have him run past kane, 1 touch finish based on great movement, don't give him the ball out wide and ask him to take on 3 defenders because it doesn't work, play him further up, Mount can cover, walker can overlap and the 2 holding midfielders can cover him, we play wide but then without any actual wing play 

Edited by villa4europe

10 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Not sure Lingard is going to get much if any game time at Man U so it's really hard to justify him being in the squad even if he did play well the other night. 

Should have pushed for a move in the summer if he wanted his England career to last more than 10 seconds. 

He needs to move to a bigger club.

• Haha 1

We've got to a semi and a final and I don't think I've actually ever been more disillusioned watching an England side.

It's absolute garbage. It's beyond garbage. I don't really care about possession and controlling the tempo of the game. It's without purpose. It's without intent. It's without tempo or invention.

It is total and utter crap. The football being served up vs the caliber of players is actually disgusting. Pound for pound it has to be the worst in the country.

If we win a title, ****house our way to a cup it will be all worth it, and Southgate is probably justified with a semi and a final that his methods are working - but it's horrendous.

Honestly I can't watch this anymore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I would say shaws chemistry with grealish is the only real stranger problem in the team

I would agree that they didn't look greatly simpatico last night, but they did during the Euros so unless it continues I will assume it's just a one-off.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Don't agree with this analysis at all, there was loads of good play and I don't feel they played like '11 strangers' in the slightest. All that happened is that Poland competed really well across the pitch and gave us a game. 

Yes I agree I thought we played well as a team and there is growing chemistry between Grealish and Mount. I thought we controlled the second half but were unable to break down a resolute polish teams that got away with a lot of fouls. They didnt know what to do with Grealish except foul him and as the ref was giving no protection they could keep doing it 

• Like 2

I never learn, wife is away so I watched it. Normally I can find other more important things to do like watch the weathering happen on my front door, but I watched. I actually thought that we played OK, but were totally blunt at the sharp end, which is amazing considering the net worth of our front players. As the second half went it was clear for the last 20 that we needed to change things but nothing. Then I watched Southgate's excuses for no subs, for fooks sake will the bloke never learn? Imagine what a decent manager could do with this crop of players, in fact don't it will just depress you.

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would agree that they didn't look greatly simpatico last night, but they did during the Euros so unless it continues I will assume it's just a one-off.

I remember when Saka played along the left with Grealish in a friendly and they seemed to be on the same wavelength right off the bat. I get that Shaw seems to be no1. for the left back slot though. Did Chilwell piss on Gareth's cornflakes or something?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I remember when Saka played along the left with Grealish in a friendly and they seemed to be on the same wavelength right off the bat. I get that Shaw seems to be no1. for the left back slot though. Did Chilwell piss on Gareth's cornflakes or something?

Chilwell is shit though, he isnt even 1st choice Chelsea left back. Marcos Alonso is ahead of him and he is garbage defensively

England could have called up Targett last season but Southgate bottled it

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Chilwell is shit though, he isnt even 1st choice Chelsea left back. Marcos Alonso is ahead of him and he is garbage defensively

England could have called up Targett last season but Southgate bottled it

I mean that's harsh on Chilwell, Alonso clearly is an out and out wing back and is super sus when playing LB. Just suits Tuchel's 3-4-3 better and Chilwell has been frozen out. 

9 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

I mean that's harsh on Chilwell, Alonso clearly is an out and out wing back and is super sus when playing LB. Just suits Tuchel's 3-4-3 better and Chilwell has been frozen out. 

I dont think so, Chilwell is not a great player in my view. He is a shitter version of Alonso and Alonso is not impressive. Was a classic Lampard type signing like he wanted Declan Rice. 50 million for a nothing player

Â