Hungary v England England v Andorra Poland v England World Cup Quaffers

andykeenan

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Sterling is a bit like El Ghazi.  Seems to kill 8 out of 10 attacks but then pops up with important goals making him difficult to criticise too much.  

Pep seems to have coached the wing play out of him and turned him into a Salah-esque forward. At Liverpool he was a very exciting winger in that side with SAS.

1 minute ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Why is it that (nearly) everyone but the media can see that Southgate is not fit for purpose? So much criticism of him and his tactics tonight, where do you start?

I just hope he's gone before some of these very young and talented players get wasted by him.

He is protected like no other previous manager, I mean everyone was saying the team was tired, but didn't really criticise him not using subs. Bring on a couple, even Henderson (how hard it is for me to say), an we win that. Ohh, an keep Kane F***** forward.

• Like 2

Just now, foreveryoung said:

He is protected like no other previous manager, I mean everyone was saying the team was tired, but didn't really criticise him not using subs. Bring on a couple, even Henderson (how hard it is for me to say), an we win that. Ohh, an keep Kane F***** forward.

He's like the Steve Bruce of international football.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

It's absolutely a disgrace that it's not commented on in either print or on TV. Agree entirely about Henderson, we could have done with him for the final 30. Not a single criticism of the lack of subs.

6 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Didn’t watch the game, so I have to ask. How has the Rice/Philips double pivot worked? 

I thought they were OK to be fair to them 

We didn't suffer from the usual problem of what's the point of them, the game was quicker and more open so they didn't get 100 touches each and 10 seconds to jog forward have a look around before turning and passing backwards, they did a lot of good work

Mount in front of them was again pretty poor 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

All the media rave about the strength in depth, like we have another starting team on the bench, an the bottle job makes no subs, in a game many players were blowing at 70-80 minutes. Shocking decision making.

Frustrates me, cause I'm sure we would win a tournament without him in charge. Final was lost down to bad decisions not a bad team.

And what really annoys me is how he has his favourites, like Sterling. He may have scored lots of tap ins for England, but his all round game is poor. Greenwood or Sancho would be better options. Not quite sure how Walker is still undisputed first choice over TAA too. 

Anyway, a draw isn't the end of the world, but the game once again shows the manager's weaknesses.

Just now, Jonesy7211 said:

It's absolutely a disgrace that it's not commented on in either print or on TV. Agree entirely about Henderson, we could have done with him for the final 30. Not a single criticism of the lack of subs.

I'm watching ITV, and 2 of the 3 pundits have mentioned the lack of subs. 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I'm watching ITV, and 2 of the 3 pundits have mentioned the lack of subs. 

It's good that it's mentioned now, I did mean during the game though, the commentators didn't make a negative comment on it. I'd be very happy if more pundits and journalists did the same as the pundits tonight.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jim said:

How many other England managers have achieved that? 

He's a wikipedia scouts wet dream, I think he'll finish with the highest win percentage of any England manager, he's currently 2nd behind capello (!) 

But **** me it's painful to watch, it's shit negative football, best attacking talent in the world and he plays 6 or 7 at the back

Tonight was the perfect example of what he is, 64% possession but did very little with it, created next to nothing, nearly got away with it because his world class attacker scored a goal from nowhere 

We will do well at the WC too, at least quarters depending on the draw

The Steve Bruce comparison is maybe a little harsh because Southgate for all his negativity I think does like to control the ball but he controls it along the back 4 and the 2 holding midfielders, the 4 players with the most touches tonight was rice, phillips, Shaw and walker and that is what Southgate is all about, to coin what Bruce does like to say and where they are similar Southgate goes out to try and snatch victories, priority number 1 is don't lose, this team is better than that 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

It's good that it's mentioned now, I did mean during the game though, the commentators didn't make a negative comment on it. I'd be very happy if more pundits and journalists did the same as the pundits tonight.

Fair point, yes, I don't think it was mentioned during the game.

The other thing the commentator said that confused me was that Poland needed something from this match to finish second, and . . . I don't really see why they *needed* it? Their key matches will be the second games against Hungary and Albania.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think Bellingham and Lingard deserve a chance in the starting XI. Philips - Bellingham - Lingard seems a much more dynamic midfield than Phillips - Rice - Mount imo.

Not sure Lingard is going to get much if any game time at Man U so it's really hard to justify him being in the squad even if he did play well the other night. 

Should have pushed for a move in the summer if he wanted his England career to last more than 10 seconds. 

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Not sure Lingard is going to get much if any game time at Man U so it's really hard to justify him being in the squad even if he did play well the other night. 

Should have pushed for a move in the summer if he wanted his England career to last more than 10 seconds. 

He's running down his contract so he can get what is likely going to be his last "major" contract + the signing on fee that comes with that. He'll be 30 start of next season. He's shown he can still play at a high level with little to no playing time with West Ham last year and indeed with England the other day.

Â