Hungary v England England v Andorra Poland v England World Cup Quaffers

andykeenan

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Kamil Glik wife has received desth threats from England fans after he was accused of racism towards Walker. Interesting that the allegation came from England officials and not the players 

Everyone in Polish football is behind Glik. He is a 33 year old senior, top professional who spent most of his career in France and Italy. 

It's highly unlikely anything of racist nature came up, so allegations like these do worry me, especially considering how his family has been affected.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Everyone in Polish football is behind Glik. He is a 33 year old senior, top professional who spent most of his career in France and Italy. 

It's highly unlikely anything of racist nature came up, so allegations like these do worry me, especially considering how his family has been affected.

Wait, why is it highly unlikely? Because he played in France and Italy? The latter is a hotbed for similar racist abuse of players so I guess I'm not understanding something here.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Wait, why is it highly unlikely? Because he played in France and Italy? The latter is a hotbed for similar racist abuse of players so I guess I'm not understanding something here.

Because over the last 15 years of his professional career where he played for top clubs like Monaco he has never showed similar behaviour and has always been a model pro. He is also a big family person and clearly a nice guy.

Everyone in Poland seems shocked, and everyone is backing him.

So it's unlikely he would have done anything like that in a game like this.

Let's see what FIFA come up with.

• Like 1

It looks like the above mentioned incident has been cleared and no sign of racism has been found.

Glik showed his fingers in the gesture of "you talk a lot" and did not show any monkey gestures. 

I wonder, considering the damaging affect it has on Gliks family, the death threats etc should there be something done about accusing of racist behaviour with no foundation?

It's a tricky one, but worth discussing. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It looks like the above mentioned incident has been cleared and no sign of racism has been found.

Glik showed his fingers in the gesture of "you talk a lot" and did not show any monkey gestures. 

I wonder, considering the damaging affect it has on Gliks family, the death threats etc should there be something done about accusing of racist behaviour with no foundation?

It's a tricky one, but worth discussing. 

If he has been cleared then I agree something should be done. Its quite easy now to call somebody a racist rightly or wrongly which does damage to careers and reputations.

If he is innocent the English staff that made the allegations should be sacked 

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If he is innocent the English staff that made the allegations should be sacked 

If there's evidence it was knowingly false or vindictive, perhaps, but the last thing we should be doing is discouraging people from reporting racist incidents because they fear they'll lose their job if they make an honest mistake.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If there's evidence it was knowingly false or vindictive, perhaps, but the last thing we should be doing is discouraging people from reporting racist incidents because they fear they'll lose their job if they make an honest mistake.

the way I see it is that the England player involved didnt make any claims and was 2 members of staff who werent on the pitch

Of course nobody wants to discourage the reporting but a bit like the MeToo movement some individuals are using it as an excuse to get others into trouble

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jono62 said:

So Kane out of form, Mount not playing, Stones not playing, Grealish not at his best and Sterling not playing, yet I bet all of them will be in from the start next game. 

Isn't Mount injured?

I take your point, but perhaps controversially I don't think we should rip up half a winning international side just because they're not destroying the PL each week. They know how to play together, and that can be very very valuable in international football.

Of course, if we're playing some duffers or other, or it's just a friendly, then sure let's get some new faces around the side as well.

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I wonder if Antonio regrets plumping for Jamaica.  He would have been a shoe in wouldn't he? 

The opportunity to play with the greatest left sided player in world football, doesn’t come around that often. I’m confident that Antonio is honoured to be playing with Leon Bailey ;)

There’ll be no regrets there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kane and sterling are both in great England scoring form so they'll both be in and the next games will be a great stat padding opportunity 

The 2nd and 3rd choice striker is more interesting though, Ollie not fully fit seemingly, Bamford reverted back to his performances of years ago and DCL I think is injured 

Does he call up Gray? Or Ings? Or Abraham? 

Bigger problem is defence, stones yet to kick a ball, maguire, James and TAA all expected to have that magical injury where they miss England but not PL games 

Edited by villa4europe

On 30/09/2021 at 00:46, HanoiVillan said:

Isn't Mount injured?

Even if he was Southgate would still pick him. Another couple of games with Kane playing deep in midfield, Stirling running around like a headless chicken and falling over looking for a foul and Mount being utter crap in an England shirt.... Think I will pass. Just find watching England boring these days! 

Â