Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Bailey has genuinely turned into one of the best wingers the club has ever had; he reminds me of Young in his peak now where everytime he gets the ball you expect him to create something. 

My concern is the early substitutions as it weakens us when he leaves the pitch, I don't know if he's carrying a knock or if it's a concern that we are now hugely reliant on him and need him fit. Emery could also be simply trying to play Diaby into form again, but I would rather be doing it 2 or 3 goals up.

Superb player and just hope this form continues.

Think I heard on a podcast, not sure if it’s 1874 or Claret and Blue that Emery is wary about playing Bailey and Diaby for 90 minutes because they rely on their pace and it’s more common for them to pick up muscle injuries. I guess they have all the data in front of them so they know how long to play them. 

• Like 1

I actually don’t think he was ‘great’ yesterday but the difference with Bailey now as oppose to last season is, even when he’s not amazing, he’s still playing well enough and causing problems for the opposition.

His bad performances are just average performances if that makes sense. Previously, when he was bad - which was most weeks - he was really, really bad.

Some turnaround. Looks a real player these days.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Rumour floating around that he has picked up a knock

hope its not true

You know how the Villa rumour mill goes! Would be another example of peak Villa. 

45 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Rumour floating around that he has picked up a knock

hope its not true

will be true, every minor rumour about injuries for us, always seem to be 100% right.

prob lost his leg falling off a chair in the club canteen.

"Aston Villa is a big club and for me, we have a lot of goals we want to achieve together," he told Football Focus. "Birmingham reminds me a little bit of home. There's a lot of Jamaicans here. Sometimes people say I sound like a little Brummie!

The first full season here, I mean, the first one was really bad for me. I think the second one was really me getting into a team to really try to get things going.

And then, obviously this year has been way different, and this is what I would I would expect from myself. I always knew what I'm capable of and what my abilities are.

"He [Emery] has improved every single player in this club, not just the players, but the staff. Everything around this football club, he has improved.

"And the beginning of the season we did have a discussion and he said to me, 'listen, Leon, I know you have a lot more to give and I can see you're playing well at home and then sometimes when we are away, you're not giving the performance that you're given at home'.

"And I have to be a professional and a mature person to understand when somebody is actually trying to help you and when somebody is actually trying to be harsh towards you. It’s always been good conversations and always trying to uplift my spirit and my confidence. And he's done that.

Jamaica made me humble understanding that you came from nothing," Bailey added. "Jamaica is a place where I've seen a lot of poverty in my life and obviously those are stuff that made me understand that this life is not easy and sometimes all a little kid needs a little push and a little help to somebody to say you can do.

"Leaving Jamaica and going to Europe was a drastic change because obviously the climate and being at Genk was definitely was one of the most special moments in my life.

"That's where I really, really, really started learning the ins and outs of wanting to become a real professional, what it takes to become a real professional. I moved to Leverkusen and I really enjoyed my time there and playing in the Bundesliga, obviously playing against big teams, big players, that was the first competition where I played against giants, you know, Arjen Robben, all those big names and Franck Ribery. I had some very, very special moments there.

One of Jamaica's greatest sporting exports, Usain Bolt, is also a close friend of Bailey and the Villa star is inspired by his career in athletics.

"He is a role model. He's a role model for me and he's also my very, very close friend and definitely I was into athletics as well, but that wasn't for me.

"But you know, it's great to have somebody like that who actually just genuinely looks out for you and wants to see you do great. He's also somebody I learned a lot of humblings from as well, because he's one of the most humblest person I ever met in life.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/68319940

(video link)

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Yup, Bailey has been class this season...

I must admit I criticised him and wondered if he had a future here but in hindsight I know he was struggling with injuries and Villa had an imbecile in charge.

Can't remember seeing a player stumble as much as him in a game and still being that good :D Was ace today, MOTM in stiff competition with Ollie and Luiz.

• Like 1

Â