Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

4 goals in 6 games this season but yeah he is crap and the worst player we ever had according to some

Has anyone really said this? I don’t recall seeing anyone saying he is the worse player ever ?

I am not convinced he will be anywhere near the starting line up, when everyone is up to fitness and settled to be truthful with you. 
But yesterday he scored and that’s a good thing for both him and us, and I’ll be happy if he continues to come off the bench and snatch late goals 👍🏻

Edited by ChesterDad
  • Like 2

G Owen matchday podcast on YouTube shows Bailey pulling off an amazing pass to Watkins with the outside of his left foot 👌 wasn't there yesterday but the clips of him in the highlights shows he made a difference when he came on yesterday, I know he splits opinion on these boards or even the entire Villa fan base. I like him, he has bad games he has good games, his record last season was I think 6 goals & 6 assists, he already has 4 goals this season not sure about assists, he has competition now so maybe this might bring out some more consistency in his game. Don't think the money we paid for him was wasted as I think that's about par on the player we got, to get finished article players your talking £60/70 million, we paid £50 million on Diaby who looks a player already & you could say £50 million barging, look at Sancho & Anthony of Man utd, was it £170 million combined for both & we paid £80 million combined for Bailey & Diaby, I know which 2 I'd have & happy there at our club, I will say pretty sure Bailey will beat his 12 goal contributions from last season if he stays fit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

Has anyone really said this? I don’t recall seeing anyone saying he is the worse player ever ?

I am not convinced he will be anywhere near the starting line up, when everyone is up to fitness and settled to be truthful with you. 
But yesterday he scored and that’s a good thing for both him and us, and I’ll be happy if he continues to come off the bench and snatch late goals 👍🏻

People were saying we would be lucky to get 10 million for him in the summer, some even said pay him up and move on

Guy is held to a ridiculous bar compared to other wide players

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

You only have to read a match thread to see it.  

But imo he’s still a competition winner 😜

51 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

You only have to read a match thread to see it.  

But imo he’s still a competition winner 😜

Well I have to be honest - I haven’t ever read it. I don’t rate him very highly tbh but I wouldn’t call him our worst ever player either.

If he is fit and confident he is threat to any team. From what I've seen, when we get him one v one in the final third he can create, and he is good at the back post.  Super sub role seems to suit him.

He's had a very positive start to the season. We can criticise Newcastle away as he got bullied by Gordon! Liverpool away I feel he had a couple of good moments. But both those games our defense fell apart.  And Liverpool gave our forward line little to feed off as our midfield struggled to string two passes together. 

Overall a good start to the season for him. His output has been very good, always capable of a goal or assist.

10 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

That’s what I thought…

The gauntlet has been laid down now by the signings of Diaby and Zaniolo…

Leon HAS to show what he is made of now

You are absolutely correct - plus there is JJ and longer term Emi to bring into the equation, he simply has to step up to the mark on a consistent basis over a longer period of time, if he wants to be starting games or getting more minutes.

Hopefully the goals return thus far will boost his confidence - but I can’t see how he will force his way into our starting 11 on a regular basis.

Maybe the cups will provide this opportunity for him, just can’t see it in the prem though 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Well I have to be honest - I haven’t ever read it. I don’t rate him very highly tbh but I wouldn’t call him our worst ever player either.

You are quibbling over his turn of phrase when you know exactly what he means. Many on here have said he is not good enough to play for us and should go. This despite the fact that the manager, who sees him train every day is happy to use him when available. No one denies he has been out of form for periods of time and has not met the sky high expectations we all had when he arrived but there has been an absolute witch hunt for this poor guy. Finally he is getting back into his stride.

As a self confessed critic of him you are naturally defensive of your past comments and feelings about him. However, instead of enjoying his current success, you have tried to argue over the smallest detail of phrasing to try and be on the winning side of an argument that doesn't need to exist! How about we talk about the positives we are now seeing rather than arguing about negative comments made in the past? This goes as much to people bringing up those past comments and gloating now.

Let's be honest, if his form drops again the same people will start the negative comments again and the same spiral of arguments will continue.

The forum is for discussion and sharing of ideas. It gets a bit boring when the same comments and arguements get repeated on an almost daily rate.

1 hour ago, Enda said:

Should have taken his goal first time

😎

I think a more confident player would. 

But, we all know Leon has confidence issues. I think that he needs to stop reading social media and listening to critics (like me) and just do his thing because there is no doubt he is a talented player. I love seeing him score and smiling. 

Â