Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

58 minutes ago, Risso said:

We got considerably worse after the break because we lost our best defender in Mings, the player who knits the whole side together. **** all to do with Bailey.

Which is why we were all over them for the 23 minutes after torres came on? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It’s a funny old game, football. He’s literally never delivered the type of performance I saw him putting in for Leverkusen. Not once. 

Those 20 mins against Everton is as close as he’s come.

Slight sidenote: Not trying to make excuses for him as I responded with my feelings earlier in the thread.

We discussed in the Pre  Match thread that on BEIN, about 30 mins pre match the commentator said " Leon Bailey is in, but we are told that could change, we'll have more later ".

Did he have a problem? Was he/is he even fit?

Although, if he did have a problem, surely we should have started someone else?

Emery also mentioned " some circumstances " affected us the last few days ( After mentioning the injuries )

Anyway, could be nothing, or just something administrative, but it just came back to mind.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Thank god certain people are back to wang on incessantly about a player they don't like. Great contribution to the discussion and forum in general. 'He's shit'. Well done. 

We've been discussing his poor performances and critiquing him for nearly two years now. "He's shit" is a fairly accurate evaluation of him after all of those discussions

26 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Slight sidenote: Not trying to make excuses for him as I responded with my feelings earlier in the thread.

We discussed in the Pre  Match thread that on BEIN, about 30 mins pre match the commentator said " Leon Bailey is in, but we are told that could change, we'll have more later ".

Emery also mentioned " some circumstances " affected us the last few days ( After mentioning the injuries )

Anyway, could be nothing, or just something administrative, but it just came back to mind.

They said on the commentary that he'd hurt his back during the match.

There were a few sub-standard performances today but Bailey still stood out as being a level below.  Others were poor - e.g. Kamara, Cash, Watkins - but still did the occasional good thing.  They also have credit in the bank from other games.  I can't think of anything positive Bailey did apart from one cross which led to nothing. 

Home games I think he's ok, he contributes goals and assists reasonably regularly, in an El Ghazi style "excellent 20 minutes every now and then" kind of way.

Away from home I am struggling to remember anything approaching a decent performance, and struggling even more to remember a goal or even an assist.  I dunno maybe I've missed something but I think the guy is a waste of space when we play away .   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

There were a few sub-standard performances today but Bailey still stood out as being a level below.  Others were poor - e.g. Kamara, Cash, Watkins - but still did the occasional good thing.  They also have credit in the bank from other games.  I can't think of anything positive Bailey did apart from one cross which led to nothing. 

Home games I think he's ok, he contributes goals and assists reasonably regularly, in an El Ghazi style "excellent 20 minutes every now and then" kind of way.

Away from home I am struggling to remember anything approaching a decent performance, and struggling even more to remember a goal or even an assist.  I dunno maybe I've missed something but I think the guy is a waste of space when we play away .   

This seems perfectly level-headed assessment based on what we've seen, similar to @KentVillan's post above, and I agree. I don't think we can afford not to have him available, but to start? I don't think so for now. He's going to have prove in training or as a sub that he can play with more precision. He seems fit. He just seemed kind of erratic and desperate, stabbing at balls, passing them to Toon players, etc. or out of bounds. I've been a Bailey Booster, but he's gotta give us something to work with, you know?

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Interesting.

Ollie 100% wasn't right.

Leon possibly as well then.

10 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah I wonder why that was. Almost like every time he received the ball they swarmed him with 3 players because they were shitting themselves about him getting in a 1 on 1 situation with burn. 

They really weren't.

I think it was the first 25 minutes in where I thought about posting he needs to come off. I didnt because i was trying to be optimistic but by then he had managed to break up attacking moves for us, didn't offer any protection for cash so they just kept playing down our right, fell over multiple times giving the ball away and made us look weak.

He should not have started and that's on emery.

As for the argument we conceded 3 in the second without him ? 

You mean after all the players had been informed mings was now going to hospital because the injury is worse than emi b s? 

Everyone was effected clearly by that, hence the huge drop off in performance by the entire team.

bailey didnt drop off, that would imply he, at some stage of the game, was good. He wasnt, hence a large amount of people wanting him off at half time.

Bailey has for some time become a FFS player, the ball goes to him, he messes up and you auto have in your head 'FFS bailey' . He does nothing positive for at least 75% of the time it goes to him and just as the passing stats for yesterday show you, he can't even pass it to his own team mates let alone beat his man, basic traits of his position.

Hes like a worse trez. At least trez put in the effort of closing players down or pressuring the opposition defence.

7 hours ago, El Segundo said:

It’s insulting to el ghazi that he gets compared with Bailey. Anwar did far more for this club than Bailey has ever done 

• Like 2

Â