Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

7 hours ago, lexicon said:

The high press stuff isn't that vital anymore - we don't press as much as we used to but rather do so in phases. Neither Bailey nor Traore, IMO, are a problem in that respect. 

Turning to a point I 100% agree with, possession is the issue. We need Bailey, or more likely now his replacement, to be someone who creates chances and can hold onto the ball better. The stats that I'm very interested in here are SCA (shot-creating actions) and KP (key passes) and Bailey's are not great, though they're still better than Harvey Barnes' numbers (who I've seen mooted as a replacement but is clearly unsuited to our style/system). 

How do Bertie's SCAs and KPs look?

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

When he's decent... we just leave the thread alone.... lol

Thought he did ok overall, and quite well at times.

Also bagged the good assist.

Kept it simple for the most part, and showed good feet and movement sometimes.

Still goes down too easy on occasion.

My argument has never been that he's been great, or not very poor at times.

My gripe has been the notion that he is so bad and useless that he shouldn't even be in the squad.

Was taken off at the right time, and i'm glad he was, because frustrations in that game sequence, would have inevitably turned towards him.

If he does it more consistently - I'm sure he'll get plenty of praise.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

When he's decent... we just leave the thread alone.... lol

Thought he did ok overall, and quite well at times.

Also bagged the good assist.

Kept it simple for the most part, and showed good feet and movement sometimes.

Still goes down too easy on occasion.

My argument has never been that he's been great, or not very poor at times.

My gripe has been the notion that he is so bad and useless that he shouldn't even be in the squad.

Was taken off at the right time, and i'm glad he was, because frustrations in that game sequence, would have inevitably turned towards him.

Yeah, the hyperbolic nature of social media means that he has to either be amazing or shit and nothing in between at all times. 

I thought he was very good today - it was an encouraging performance and one that he needed. 

I don't think that he's the right fit moving forward and would be better off at a more counter-attacking team rather than one that looks to retain possession but if he plays like this more often, then that's all good. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Had a half decent game today to be fair. Good assist and some flashes of brilliance. Still think he’s one to move on though. 

Yep. Can't see him here beyond the summer.  A few moments of magic are not enough anymore.

Really happy for him to play well and create such a crucial goal for us. 

I think he's at his best off right midfield when Buendia drops deep off Watkins. 

Has plenty to offer if he could find some consistency 

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Much better, but one in six isn't good enough really...

If Torres come in Bailey will be a squad player.

That's the whole point though. Bailey offers more than Traore and especially so when he's allowed to be more of a wide player from deep as opposed to striker/ second striker 

• Like 1

Can be an exciting player given the right circumstances and I really want him to do well. Will be interesting to see if competition next year makes or breaks him because it feels like he has started a lot of games by default due to no better option 

Â