Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

I feel Bailey is average, i want him to come good but i don't think he will ever be the player we saw or expected when watching his Bundesliga highlights. I think Brighton having signed Joao Pedro is probably a better fit for the money, as we know he can cut it in the prem. Bailey will always pop up with the odd goal but its not good enough for someone in his position and with the ambition of our club. Our trajectory will probably leave him behind as we need consistency.

Newcastle are facing the same dilemma with a much better player, ASM, and will probably cut him loose at some point in the near future too. Its nothing personal, but we need to be ruthless, too foten Villa have been a soft touch and not known when to cut players loose. If we can get someone more consistent and with a better injury record and output this summer, i wouldnt be against letting him go. Look at Man City, they know when to get rid of players, Sterling, Jesus and Zinchenko all let go this summer, yet they are likely still to win the league.

There is hope for Bailey but he does flatter to deceive a lot of the time and i feel like if we can get Lee Kang In or someone of that ilk in, it would be wise for all parties to cut our losses and move on. Leon has made some valuable contributions toward our team, however i think its fair to say both parties wanted it to work out more than it has.

• Like 1

For me one of those players with no future at the club, doesn't contribute anywhere near enough when he is fit enough to play which isn't often. If we could get any fee for him and get him off the wage bill it would be a good move.

• Like 1

For me why the **** is on free kicks? He is shit at them. What annoys me is we waste a man being in the box attacking because we have two over a freekick? Why get the extra man in tbe box

1 hour ago, rbcuk said:

Wanted him to work out after seeing him at leverkusen, but it just won’t he never takes a player on like he used to, I’d be surprised if he’s here next season

He beat players and put balls into box more than once today.

One time in particular he almost beat two when he nutmegged and got fouled.

But hey...

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I genuinely thought he was bright for large spells of that second half. Was positive and trying to make things happen. Then hits the wall from wide free kick and descends into pub player for last 10 minutes making bad decisions on the ball.

Problem is, because of his standing, all people will choose to acknowledge is the latter...

He was absolutely nowhere near as bad as the usual suspects are trying to make out.

However, due to the flow of the game, the level or performance, and how desperately people wanted/ed Europe, I knew it was primed for him to get slammed, even though there were other players on the pitch significantly worse then him for a longer period than he was even on 🤦🏿‍♂️

Got to reiterate, when he is total shite, I have no issue saying so, I'm not being biased at all.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He was absolutely nowhere near as bad as the usual suspects are trying to make out.

Who?

You better not be scapegoating them :(

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Problem is, because of his standing, all people will choose to acknowledge is the latter...

However, due to the flow of the game, the level or performance, and how desperately people wanted/ed Europe, I knew it was primed for him to get slammed, even though there were other players on the pitch significantly worse then him for a longer period than he was even on 🤦🏿‍♂️

Got to reiterate, when he is total shite, I have no issue saying so, I'm not being biased at all.

He definitely isn't s bad as some make out, but he isn't effective enough in the games he plays to have a future as a first XI player here. 

• Like 1

I hope a move away will kick start his career. Injuries and playing for 3 managers in under 2 years haven't helped him settle in this league.

He could do better in Serie A where the pace is much less frenetic. 

You'd think a lower mid side like Genoa might have interest. 

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I hope a move away will kick start his career. Injuries and playing for 3 managers in under 2 years haven't helped him settle in this league.

He could do better in Serie A where the pace is much less frenetic. 

You'd think a lower mid side like Genoa might have interest. 

I agree but a lower mid table team like Genoa couldn’t afford anything like the sort of money we’d want for him. 

Has the El-Ghazis about him - once he makes a bad decision or something he tries doesn’t come off his head drops and he dramatically loses confidence and from that moment on he struggles.

As others have said he started brightly but it went downhill quickly after the free kick where he hit the wall. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If the general consensus is that Leon wasn’t a very good signing, who are we going to blame? Deano, Lange or the Man from Delmonti?

The way Purslow rushed in front of the cameras to announce the deal makes me think he was the one who pushed for it to happen. 

If I were to grade those 3 signings--

Buendia B-

Ings C

Bailey D+

In totality, not great. Add in the fees and wages, and it's a Purslow own goal, but with a chance at redemption depending on how things evolve with Buendia.

I expect we will take a big hit on Bailey unless one of the promoted sides are desperate come the end of the window. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

If the general consensus is that Leon wasn’t a very good signing, who are we going to blame? Deano, Lange or the Man from Delmonti?

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The way Purslow rushed in front of the cameras to announce the deal makes me think he was the one who pushed for it to happen. 

Buendia B-

Ings C

Bailey D+

In totality, not great. Add in the fees and wages, and it's a Purslow own goal, but with a chance at redemption depending on how things evolve with Buendia.

Careful throwing criticism at Purslow on here...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Careful throwing criticism at Purslow on here...

I think the guy is a very shrewd operator and an asset to Villa, but in aspects not related directly to the function of the team itself or the youth and women's teams.

2 hours ago, bose said:

Going in the summer. Just doesn’t fit in and for some reason not showing the form he did for Leverkusen.

He won’t be.  We won’t get half what we paid for him, so best keep for squad 

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I have to show my hand and say that I never fully know how people decide who to give credit for which signing.

I believe they’re all collaborative, but it’s whether it’s 75% to the manager or to the sporting director or whoever. I tend to think our English/British managers typically have an eye on players in the domestic leagues and the sporting director and analysts will look further afield.

It’s probably safe to say Smith was the driving force behind Konsa and Watkins. Seems straightforward enough. I can believe he had encountered Buendia enough to like him. Ings, while some may say that’s Purslow, I don’t think there are many managers who would turn down having Ings in the squad. 

Someone like Bailey, I don’t know. My suspicion is it’s the scouts and Smith looks at it and gives it the ok. But I am guessing.

The player has to take responsibility too in a signing not working out. As the go to extreme example, McCormack was our worst signing and while RDM, Xia take the blame, old Ross had to take a large proportion of the blame for it.

21 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Buendia B-

Ings C

Bailey D+

Probably a fair rating. I’d lean towards giving Ings a C+ and Bailey a D-. I think Ings goals/assists to minute ratio is pretty solid for what amounts to a net cost of around £15m.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 2

Â