Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

10 minutes ago, macandally said:

We have had loads of players bought on stats that never reached those heights with us, I go back to the original statement, we haven’t seen that in a Villa shirt yet 🙄

Well we have fleetingly, though I myself am also concerned about how lacking it's been since his return from injury. In any case it doesn't really validate your original, quite patronising claim, but that's your prerogative fella.

19 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Wonder if he ever had any formal athletics training?

The Jamaicans know how to sprint.

I think he has done some training with Bolt though maybe not professional level

29 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a player quicker than a 20yr old Gabby. Say what you want about him now (he’s a moron I know), but he was lightning fast as a youngster. 

He’s probably the benchmark every Villa player will be judged against as far as pace is concerned. We all know his weaknesses but his speed truly petrified defenders. 

19 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Lennon and Walcott were rapid as well at that age.

And for some reason Joaquin in the 2002 World Cup comes to mind. I think that years ago I read somewhere that he put his speed down to being breastfed until he was 6.

EDIT: I didn't imagine it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/apr/16/fun-finta-and-why-it-is-impossible-not-to-love-joaquin-at-real-betis

One of nine kids, he attributed his strength to being breastfed until the age of six, and it wasn’t just that he said so, it was that he recalled football matches in the plaza where while the other kids would head to the water fountain for a drink, he would head straight for his mum.

This is almost as bad as Roberto Carlos attributing his big legs to the fact his dad was a lorry driver

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

He’s probably the benchmark every Villa player will be judged against as far as pace is concerned. We all know his weaknesses but his speed truly petrified defenders. 

Yeh, he was seriously, seriously quick. I remember reading an article on him and the only reason he was kept on as an academy prospect was because he was the quickest player in Birmingham. 
We don't need Leon to be as quick as that, because it's much better to be quick with the ball at your feet than just being able to run in a straight line ridiculously fast.
Grealish is a great example of how pace can be deceptive. In a 100m race, I imagine he wouldn't have been anywhere near the quickest player in our squad, but when he was dribbling, he was absolutely rapid - It was mesmerising. Such talent. (sorry to derail topic)!

Surely no one can deny that he's not looked anything like the a rapid player since his return from injury.

Stating "he is rapid", and using the argument that he's demonstrated his pace as recently as a year ago, is pointless.  No one is saying he was never fast. The concern is he's not shown it since being injured. 

Whether it's confidence, that will return in time, or a long term physical limitation he'll be living with remains to be seen. 

He showed glimpses of being fast against Walsall, or at least faster than he looked the last time he turned out for us, and suggests he will continue to improve as he gets more game time.

As long as he avoids an injury this season,  we'll hopefully see him back close to his fastest. Whether we have any use for him in the formation we play when he gets there is the more interesting matter. 

7 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Lennon and Walcott were rapid as well at that age.

And for some reason Joaquin in the 2002 World Cup comes to mind. I think that years ago I read somewhere that he put his speed down to being breastfed until he was 6.

EDIT: I didn't imagine it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/apr/16/fun-finta-and-why-it-is-impossible-not-to-love-joaquin-at-real-betis

One of nine kids, he attributed his strength to being breastfed until the age of six, and it wasn’t just that he said so, it was that he recalled football matches in the plaza where while the other kids would head to the water fountain for a drink, he would head straight for his mum.

thomas-the.gif

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Bitty GIF - Bitty - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Indigo said:

Well we have fleetingly, though I myself am also concerned about how lacking it's been since his return from injury. In any case it doesn't really validate your original, quite patronising claim, but that's your prerogative fella.

Ok, I apologise if I wounded your sensibilities 🙄

• Thanks 1

Â