Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ollie and Ings make that pretty much impossible anyway.

IMO the only way I could see him thrive as a forward in the PL, is if we start playing a more swashbuckling or carve opponents open type game ala Man City or Liverpool.

He thrives off of exploiting space.

He has a very good shot on him as well.

Not strong enough to be battling it out up front on his own as a CF in the PL IMO, I'd wince everytime he got hacked down.

Furthest forward he can succeed, for me, is behind the strikers, or as a second striker, defo not as a CF. with protection in front and around him so he can run into space and get shots off.

A couple of his best games for Jamaica actually came from playing inside Right Midfielder, in a midfield 5, where he would overlap with the right winger at times.

I'd love to see a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 with him, Buendia and Coutinho interchanging and wreaking havoc behind a striker.

Dreaded solid " Double Pivot " or whatever behind them, Luiz and Kamara? Or Kamara and another strong midfielder?

In form, that attacking support  trio present very awkward and differing threats.

We'll have a clearer picture of what the playing plans are as we get closer to season I guess.

If the system will remain the same, he'll simply have to battle it out for a place as one of the 10's.

We'll see!

I’d love to see that too and have been thinking about it… it’s just that SG hasn’t set the side up that way since he’s been here or even beforehand (afaik) with Rangers…

Maybe he’ll mix it up a little this season with a different set of personnel (more options) and Critchley may bring some ideas and alternative approaches too.

But yeah

I’d really like to see something like this (at least occasionally, though where would it leave JJ and to a lesser extent McGinn?). Traore is another option too up there.

CF

Bailey               Coutinho.            Buendia

Kamara    Sangare 

I like Luiz but really feel we need a more physically dominant presence alongside Kamara and especially if we were to set up like this or similar.

Yeah, I don’t expect him to ever play as a target man or to hold up the ball but I feel he could make fast and intelligent runs and make the most of through balls and clear opportunities to beat the keeper… we’ve wasted plenty of them… 

Bailey’s pace is an asset we should look to exploit, he can be deadly for us such as he demonstrated in his cameo against Everton… I think that was the best insight into what kind of impact he can have for us in games…

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I’d love to see that too and have been thinking about it… it’s just that SG hasn’t set the side up that way since he’s been here or even beforehand (afaik) with Rangers…

Maybe he’ll mix it up a little this season with a different set of personnel (more options) and Critchley may bring some ideas and alternative approaches too.

But yeah

I’d really like to see something like this (at least occasionally, though where would it leave JJ and to a lesser extent McGinn?). Traore is another option too up there.

CF

Bailey               Coutinho.            Buendia

Kamara    Sangare 

I like Luiz but really feel we need a more physically dominant presence alongside Kamara and especially if we were to set up like this or similar.

Yeah, I don’t expect him to ever play as a target man or to hold up the ball but I feel he could make fast and intelligent runs and make the most of through balls and clear opportunities to beat the keeper… we’ve wasted plenty of them… 

Bailey’s pace is an asset we should look to exploit, he can be deadly for us such as he demonstrated in his cameo against Everton… I think that was the best insight into what kind of impact he can have for us in games…

Not sure how I totally forgot about JJ and he's one of my favourite players right now 🤦🏿

Yup it's tough!

The depth is really coming on.

Honestly though none of them should be guaranteed a starting spot.

With that in consideration, if I had to choose currently, it would have to be JJ behind the strikers, with Coutinho and Buendia either side. ( In this system )

It will certainly be interesting to see how we line up.

Pre season games should give us an idea 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hoping a good pre season helps bailey as he didnt have one last year. Wnat to see a massive improvement this season as he was generally poor 75% of the season

I am hoping we can see some of the pace we saw in his highlight reels.  He was genuinely a Bundesliga superstar . If we can get him playing with full confidence that his body will back him up then he is really going to be like a new signing. And a really good one at that 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I am hoping we can see some of the pace we saw in his highlight reels.  He was genuinely a Bundesliga superstar . If we can get him playing with full confidence that his body will back him up then he is really going to be like a new signing. And a really good one at that 

After how slow he's looked in the backend of the season, I bloody hope you're right!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Hope so. Was massively concerned end of last season as his electric pace seemed to have vanished.

Needs to keep his fitness up too, his fitness has been very poor so far us

• Like 1

On 07/07/2022 at 07:31, MWARLEY2 said:

Absolutely. This is it.

Well said!

I think that this guy will look as a new signing as the season starts. I think if Gerrard used him well, we’ll have a very good player in our hands. 
To have Buendia, Traore around as well, I think that’s a huge talent beside Coutinho, the challenge is ho to get it right every game. 
With Kamara and Carlos, I think it would give our attacking players more freedom. 

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

I think he’s given a good account of himself in that 45 min run out.

Certainly has got his quick feet back but every time he gets fouled you feel he’s going to be crocked!

They'll be good for him hopefully, couple of heavy ones in there.

Run em off Leon!

• Like 1

Â