Villa Park Pilgrimage

MNVillan

5 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Question for everyone: what’s the best way to get to/from VP? We’re staying right by the Moor Station

If you’re staying right by Moor Street Station then the train is probably best. I would walk to New Street Station and get the train to Witton an hour or so before kick off. (Just looked and there’s an 18:57 or a 19:07 from New Street to Witton).
The queues at Witton or Aston Station to get away from the ground afterwards can be barbaric! I would either just accept you’ll be waiting for a while and queue or try and find a pub that’s walkable have a few in there for an hour or so after the game and then walk back to the station. 

52 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

As it is your first visit i would consider getting of at Aston Station instead of Witton. As you walk up towards the stadium you walk right towards the Holte that way.

Magnificent sight . A must for people first visiting Villa Park. 

• Like 2

Hope you enjoy the day. Buzzing we won at the weekend, you were one of my first thoughts at full time whistle. You see so many horror stories of long distance travel for matches only for the team to lose (my mate once flew back from South America to watch Cambridge United lose in the Conference Playoff Final), so I’m delighted you were a success story!

Enjoy the experience tonight, I hope we’re in full voice for you and it’s a night you’ll never forget. Best of luck buddy. 

• Like 1

Thanks all, we’ll take the train out. Contactless payment hopefully? That made it easy in London and with the Brum buses so far.

We’re going to Aston Hall to have a poke around around 3 PM, then going to Barton Arms and then Heart of Aston. Spending some quality time around the ground for the afternoon before kick off. We’ll probably go in early to really soak in the atmosphere of VP for as long as possible

• Like 3

If getting the train I too would advise getting the train to Aston, Witton is most definitely a quicker journey door-to-door but if you get off at Aston the first thing you'll see of Villa Park is the Holte Pub/ Holte End (magnificent) whereas Witton it would be the North Stand (underwhelming). You will also pass Aston hall this way, although it will be likely shut/dark.

Also, if having a drink or two, getting off at Aston would mean passing by the Aston Tavern en-route to the stadium, arguably the busiest/closest pub to the Holte. 

Otherwise it's a taxi and with that Birmingham is your oyster, I see from previous posts you like the look of the Barton Arms, after that it would be a 20min walk or a taxi as close to the ground as possible (traffic will get heavy close to kick off so don't cut it too fine).

10 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Thanks all, we’ll take the train out. Contactless payment hopefully? That made it easy in London and with the Brum buses so far.

We’re going to Aston Hall to have a poke around around 3 PM, then going to Barton Arms and then Heart of Aston. Spending some quality time around the ground for the afternoon before kick off. We’ll probably go in early to really soak in the atmosphere of VP for as long as possible

Sounds like you have it sussed. Enjoy your day.

1 minute ago, MNVillan said:

Do I need tickets ahead of time to catch a train back to Brum, or can I swipe a contactless card at the station?

Yeah you'll need to buy tickets in advance as it's a standard rail train rather than tube.

Just go to one of the machines in New Street.  A return to Aston is about £3.

1 minute ago, MNVillan said:

Do I need tickets ahead of time to catch a train back to Brum, or can I swipe a contactless card at the station?

Assuming you're getting the train to and from New Street Station (to Aston or to Witton), then get a return ticket from New St. and you're good to go. As per other threads, the queues after the match for trains can be horrendous, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, MNVillan said:

For the match? K5 row 29

2 rows behind me! Hope you have an amazing time today!! Also, be prepared as everyone generally stands for majority of the game towards the back. 

Edited by ismail-villa

10 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Been a journey. Hopped on the wrong bus and ended up at Perry Ave. No wifi and no idea how to get back so we just walked to the stadium. Long way.

Plans went astray. Now at Aston Tavern

Have a good one mate! Enjoy yourselves. Upload a pic or two if you get a chance!

2 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Been a journey. Hopped on the wrong bus and ended up at Perry Ave. No wifi and no idea how to get back so we just walked to the stadium. Long way.

Plans went astray. Now at Aston Tavern

At least you're there now! Enjoy it mate, soak it all up!

Â