Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

19 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Early rumours that Bellingham is replacing Mount, and not Grealish... Philipps and Rice remain unchanged. Hopefully just paper talk, Christ. 

To be fair that makes more sense than grealish to be honest. Bellingham is excellent and that's his position. grealish is clearly being used as a wide attacker.

I still hope grealish will start, but I'm not surprised it won't be in that position

Just now, Stevo985 said:

To be fair that makes more sense than grealish to be honest. Bellingham is excellent and that's his position. grealish is clearly being used as a wide attacker.

I still hope grealish will start, but I'm not surprised it won't be in that position

Goes against the experience line Gareth has been trotting out though.

He’s tying himself up in knots. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Well yeah we know that. But we know that what he says is absolute nonsense. He just doesn't have the balls to admit he prefers certain players.

He'd be far better off just saying "we have a big squad full of really talented players and unfortunately we can't play everyone..." etc etc

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Really? I've never seen him play AM for Dortmund and I don't consider him a creative player at all. When I've seen him play well it's his pressing/ball winning that's impressed. He would be an even more defensive AM than Mount. 

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

He’s tying himself up in nottz. 

Pop: Sleaford Mods at the Roundhouse, NW1 | Times2 | The Times

ftfy

Edited by sne
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Well yeah we know that. But we know that what he says is absolute nonsense. He just doesn't have the balls to admit he prefers certain players.

He'd be far better off just saying "we have a big squad full of really talented players and unfortunately we can't play everyone..." etc etc

He said that in about March 

He said in an interview post game that he didn't want the bigger squad 

The thing is that he should have just named the normal squad and then seen the extra 3 spaces as spaces for maguire, Henderson etc the injured players who are touch and go, that's fair enough

Instead he's got DCL, sancho, coady, white, saka, chilwell 6 players he has no intention of playing

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Honestly I don't think Foden and Sterling have done enough to remain in starting 11. Grealish Kane Sancho. Rice Phillips Bellingham. Shaw Mings Stones James. For me that has a nice balance. 

The way Southgate is talking, what I expect is a return of Trippier, Walker, Maguire and Henderson. Foden Kane Sterling. Rice Henderson Bellingham. Trippier Maguire Stones Walker.

4 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Really? I've never seen him play AM for Dortmund and I don't consider him a creative player at all. When I've seen him play well it's his pressing/ball winning that's impressed. He would be an even more defensive AM than Mount. 

Well sure but he's a central midfielder. Grealish isn't really. We know he could play there but for the last 2 seasons at least he has primarily played as a wide attacker, and has always played there for england. he isn't going to suddenly get put into a midfield 3

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

When are the media going to start holding Southgate to task, he's getting such an easy ride its unreal. It's everything but him to the incompetent pundits and media who aren't technical good enough to see what we lack in coaching.

I think a poor performance/result tonight and the knives will come out. Lineker and Klinsmann in particular were quite critical of his coaching style during the HT analysis of the Belgium game yesterday. Lineker essentially said our performances so far are a reflection of the manager’s personality (pint of water anyone?).

7 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Honestly I don't think Foden and Sterling have done enough to remain in starting 11. Grealish Kane Sancho. Rice Phillips Bellingham. Shaw Mings Stones James. For me that has a nice balance. 

The way Southgate is talking, what I expect is a return of Trippier, Walker, Maguire and Henderson. Foden Kane Sterling. Rice Henderson Bellingham. Trippier Maguire Stones Walker.

and if we had started Jack and Sancho in the first 2 games neither of them would have done enough to remain in the starting 11.

The system is crap, and the coaching is crap, the mentality is crap and the style of play is crap.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

and if we had started Jack and Sancho in the first 2 games neither of them would have done enough to remain in the starting 11.

The system is crap, and the coaching is crap, the mentality is crap and the style of play is crap.

Sancho looked a non entity in the friendlies 

Strangely I think his last good England performance was the one where he played with grealish and they linked up well

We're obviously all over grealish fuming that he's not being given a chance, from what Ive seen sancho is the one where the world is watching asking what the **** is Southgate doing 

Edited by villa4europe

Wouldn't suprise me if England is a boring 1-1 so we gain second place.

I think I will avoid watching England tonight and opt for the Scotland game instead.

They will show more fight and it will be a cracking game as they've got it all to play for.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Southgate will drop dead before he subs out his favourites. Grealish has proven over seasons that he's the best in his position but gets subbed for under par "Super League" players. If Henderson was fit (I presume he will be soon), he'd play over Philips. If Maguire was fit he'd play over Mings. It's uncanny how little football this man knows. Germany's best player so far is an unknown winger from Serie A, Netherland's best player has been in Lyon and flopped in England. Gareth needs to take his 'big 6' spectacles off and actually pick players who are hungry to win. Sterling, Kane, Walker? Oh "#¤%" off.

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well sure but he's a central midfielder. Grealish isn't really. We know he could play there but for the last 2 seasons at least he has primarily played as a wide attacker, and has always played there for england. he isn't going to suddenly get put into a midfield 3

Trippier got slung in at left back for less. 

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Southgate will drop dead before he subs out his favourites. Grealish has proven over seasons that he's the best in his position but gets subbed for under par "Super League" players. If Henderson was fit (I presume he will be soon), he'd play over Philips. If Maguire was fit he'd play over Mings. It's uncanny how little football this man knows. Germany's best player so far is an unknown winger from Serie A, Netherland's best player has been in Lyon and flopped in England. Gareth needs to take his 'big 6' spectacles off and actually pick players who are hungry to win. Sterling, Kane, Walker? Oh "#¤%" off.

Calling Gosen unknown might be a stretch :crylaugh:

He's been one of the stand out players in a fantastic Atalanta side for a couple seasons now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Calling Gosen unknown might be a stretch :crylaugh:

He's been one of the stand out players in a fantastic Atalanta side for a couple seasons now.

Yeah, he's played well for a team which wouldn't even be on Southgate's mind, which was my point. Statswise Grealish is well ahead of Gosens yet GS would rather play Arsenals mascot ahead of JG.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

I think a poor performance/result tonight and the knives will come out. Lineker and Klinsmann in particular were quite critical of his coaching style during the HT analysis of the Belgium game yesterday. Lineker essentially said our performances so far are a reflection of the manager’s personality (pint of water anyone?).

Good, it's long overdue. 

I think we are in for a tough test tonight, Czechs are organised and efficient, on paper our squad is better but the Southgate factor along with their guys who play in the prem know us and they know as a unit we are Incompetent. 

With 2 CB's, fullbacks that don't overlap, and 2 DM's we have 6 outfield players who are very rarely going to get much closer than 30 yards from the opposition goal (apart from set pieces). It hardly matters who the other 4 outfield players are when they are trying to break down a team that is defending deep.  Now put the 2 wide players right out on the touchline and you have spread out our creative forces so far that it is almost impossible for the 4 of them to link up. To move the ball quickly between our creative players we have to put it through one or two of the defensive minded players and all momentum is lost.  Grealish is a wonderful player but I don't see how even he can thrive in a setup like that. Englands opposition can double up on all 4 of our forward options as they can be quite confident they will not be hurt by the rest of the team.

Just now, magnkarl said:

Yeah, he's played well for a team which wouldn't even be on Southgate's mind, which was my point. Statswise Grealish is well ahead of Gosens.

He actually isn't, despite Grealish playing in a much more advanced position than Gosen. Partly down to Grealish being injured so much of course.

But this is getting off topic, of course Grealish is good enough to start for England.

Â