Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

25 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He will have to slow things down a little. Now we are playing with more control he will have to be more picky with his passes . But he will do. He will be attending the tactics meetings, watching training. He will be learning now about what he will hopefully be doing in 4 months or so. Buendia is totally in with this team. He loves the club. He will come back aged just turned 27 and ready to hit his peak in the coming 3 or 4 years. 

I think he'd be better slowing down for a second.  I really hope he can get fit to contribute this year as we'll need him

44 minutes ago, tyklip said:

Tore his ACL right? That's 9 months minimum recuperation time. 

I don't know the exact details off the top of my head, but I did see reports about him possibly being back in training in March. So we may see him around April?

Would be surprised to see him come in as anything more than a low pressure substitute when we're ahead. 

Diego I think came on against Wolves away last year but didn't play any meaningful time until this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

Would be surprised to see him come in as anything more than a low pressure substitute when we're ahead. 

Diego I think came on against Wolves away last year but didn't play any meaningful time until this season.

Sure but he's a CB so the margin for error is lower and his injury is historically worse. He's also an older player his recovery might be longer. You can more easily bring on an attacking player returning from injury than a defensive one because their mistakes would be less costly. 

ACL recoveries in the modern day are actually pretty good because you can walk on it from like 2-6 weeks after surgery iirc whereas a lot of the other major ligament and tendon injuries are like 6-12 weeks before you can start walking. For Emi we could be looking at a return to action as early as the end of Feb. I think a safer bet would be the end of March and the last 9 or so premier league games I imagine he'd be hoping to be involved. 

14 hours ago, Mantis said:

I don't know the exact details off the top of my head, but I did see reports about him possibly being back in training in March. So we may see him around April?

Went back to look for reports, but the club stated it was a "significant ACL injury." And it seems like most people understood that to be a tear. If so, it would be really hard for him to be available to play in a competitive match for a minimum of 9 months, most likely longer. Just no way to rush ligament repair. I would be absolutely shocked if he played any part in this campaign. 

46 minutes ago, tyklip said:

Went back to look for reports, but the club stated it was a "significant ACL injury." And it seems like most people understood that to be a tear. If so, it would be really hard for him to be available to play in a competitive match for a minimum of 9 months, most likely longer. Just no way to rush ligament repair. I would be absolutely shocked if he played any part in this campaign. 

Any ACL injury is significant. With all due respect, without knowing to what degree the tear nor the recovery protocol, you're not going to be able to diagnose a timeframe. 

It's so strange how Buendia and Mings have both been in this sort of time capsule from Aug. 2023. It's such a weird twist of fate. You can see so clearly how much the club has changed in just that short period since and their dual absence seems to accentuate the sense of change. At the same time, I have this odd feeling that they're both growing with our rising expectations, too. They must be. it must feel very frustrating for them. It's mental.

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Any ACL injury is significant. With all due respect, without knowing to what degree the tear nor the recovery protocol, you're not going to be able to diagnose a timeframe. 

I'm far from an expert apart from having had the op myself but while there will be different grades to the ligament damage, I'm not sure the operation would be any different. The ligament would need to be replaced with a new graft however badly it was damaged as the ACL can't regenerate.

Recovery as you say would be difficult to diagnose, all depends on having the right plan and the patients body and its ability to recover. Its not even just the ligament. I'm not sure what they favour for athletes but my graft was from my hamstring (which is typical) there are artificial ones and from the patella. So the hamstring needs to repair and then what I found hardest was building my quad up again after it losing its muscle memory and that's obviously an important part of leg strength and stability to avoid damaging the knee again.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

For Emi we could be looking at a return to action as early as the end of Feb. I think a safer bet would be the end of March and the last 9 or so premier league games I imagine he'd be hoping to be involved. 

Fingers crossed, but I saw him limping out of the petrol station in Mere Green about 6 weeks ago and would be very surprised by this

2 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Fingers crossed, but I saw him limping out of the petrol station in Mere Green about 6 weeks ago and would be very surprised by this

I was down for the Wet Spam match and met him and a few other players after the game.

Buendia was mobile, went in and out the players entrance a few times and he was still limping very badly. That was 22nd October.

I'd say we may see him back in a Villa shirt this season but probably only the last couple of months all going well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I'm far from an expert apart from having had the op myself but while there will be different grades to the ligament damage, I'm not sure the operation would be any different. The ligament would need to be replaced with a new graft however badly it was damaged as the ACL can't regenerate.

Recovery as you say would be difficult to diagnose, all depends on having the right plan and the patients body and its ability to recover. Its not even just the ligament. I'm not sure what they favour for athletes but my graft was from my hamstring (which is typical) there are artificial ones and from the patella. So the hamstring needs to repair and then what I found hardest was building my quad up again after it losing its muscle memory and that's obviously an important part of leg strength and stability to avoid damaging the knee again.

Fair comment. I'll add a couple of things. 

I haven't actually seen it mentioned that it is the ACL that was torn. 

Secondly on recovery... according to Google (lol) the average return to action is about 8 months, which takes us into April. It's not ludicrous to suggest that with modern recovery models he could be back in 8 months, or even sooner. These days rehab starts almost immediately, and footballers have access to the highest level of sports science money can buy, from strength training to nutrition, cryo chambers, massages on tap and whatever else they need. 

Obviously this proves nothing on a case by case basis, but to hope for a return in March isn't *crazy* like it felt the post above yours suggested. It's ok to hope. If he's not back this season, qué sera. We get a quality footballer next season for the CL push. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Fair comment. I'll add a couple of things. 

I haven't actually seen it mentioned that it is the ACL that was torn. 

Secondly on recovery... according to Google (lol) the average return to action is about 8 months, which takes us into April. It's not ludicrous to suggest that with modern recovery models he could be back in 8 months, or even sooner. These days rehab starts almost immediately, and footballers have access to the highest level of sports science money can buy, from strength training to nutrition, cryo chambers, massages on tap and whatever else they need. 

Obviously this proves nothing on a case by case basis, but to hope for a return in March isn't *crazy* like it felt the post above yours suggested. It's ok to hope. If he's not back this season, qué sera. We get a quality footballer next season for the CL push. 

I'll make a bet! ;) Look, football clubs are pretty cagey for some reason about revealing specifics of injuries, but as the person said above, if he needed an ortho to repair the ligament (which it seems pretty clearly the case), the recovery doesn't really vary that much. I've been around sport for a long time; have dealt with my players getting ACL tears. They suck. And 9 months is typical to where you can start working hard, but then you have to add being ready for a competitive professional match. I would love to be wrong. But I would bet heavily on his season being over. My one out here is it not being clear whether he had surgery or not. Ok, checked again: confirmed surgery on insta: https://www.instagram.com/p/CxRBwZPIaCL/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I sadly don't totally trust our medical staff, and I'm aware that this opinion is based on nothing more than conjecture. Ramsey and Moreno both came back too early. I'd be ok with Buendia and Mings just taking it slow and easy and fully heal for summer training. We're in third place without them, after all.

On 12/12/2023 at 06:10, oishiiniku_uk said:

Back in time to score the goal that wins us the league. 

I can hear Martin Tyler now in the 112th minute at Selhurst Park:

’We’ve record word that Jack Grealish has just equalised for Manchester City with his third penalty of the day against 8-man West Ham. They’ve got the title in the bag, they’ve done it…those plucky Citizens. Pep looks so fine in his jumper, doesn’t he?’

’McGinn cuts inside, turns, finds BuenDIAAAAAAAA’

*Subsequent VAR CHECK TAKES 26mins, during which time the Government of Abu Dhabi announces a generous donation of $60b to the Premier League*

• Haha 4

Â